• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Nox 800 Old Park Dominating

Trashfinder

Forum Supporter
I posted this in another thread but i think it is worth repeating and it's own thread. So far only 2 trips but I think the results are fairly compelling.

A friend of mine did some research and found an old town founded around the turn of the century. I could not make the first hunt so him and another friend of ours hit this old park. The friend found 4 Barber dimes, 1 mercury, indian, and wheats while my friend that did the research found nothing. Two weeks later we go back and i take the ctx and etrac and others and nox, the original friend that found nothing the first time and i both find nothing in the first 2 hours. I used the ctx with 17 inch because he said other friend found all 8 old coins deep on first trip. I found a few clad pieces and nothing else. I was using an open screen combined , ferrous coin. I used etrac with 7 inch coil that i had been killing it at home at a spot i been hunting when i don't have much time. Found a couple pieces of clad and nothing else. This is a very tiny park about the size of a large yard. I asked what was the other guys secret to find those 8 old coins? He said Nox digging jumpy but good number repeatable faint signals. So i pull out my Nox 800 and within 2 minutes recover a mercury dime. Two hours later i had a barber quarter, barber dime, 2 mercs, 2 buffalo nickles , 1 indian and many wheats. All 7 to 10 inches deep.

So all told in 2 trips nox 18 old coins, several machines including ctx and etrac 0 old coins. Trashy and bad soil? I honestly have no idea but i know what i am seeing here with 3 different detectorists on this small spot. I do not have a answer that anyone is going to like and i did not mention all detectors used , all i know is what i am telling you because if i had not been involved i would not have believed it. I think it might have been just too trashy for the other machines. I wish i had it on video but when i found the Barber quarter i called him over to tell and show him what kind of signals i was digging hoping to get him on the board with some good coins. He checked the spot and told me he thought it was a nail. The look on his face was priceless as i uncovered a 1900 barber quarter at 8 inches.

I honestly left that park today wondering if i need to unload some detectors. We know others have recently hunted there as well as we found some recent holes that had not healed. I know if i go back , i will only be taking one detector and i bet you can guess which one it will be.

I know it will be brought up , so yes at home i have been finding good coins as deep as 10 inches with no problem with the etrac and that 7 inch coil. From talking to the other friend who found the other 8 old coins and my experience most were found 7-8 inches deep.

I am not telling you to go buy a NOX , i am not telling you anything, simply relating an experience and you can come to your own conclusions.

I posted this in another thread but i think it is worth repeating and it's own thread. So far only 2 trips but I think the results are fairly compelling.

A friend of mine did some research and found an old town founded around the turn of the century. I could not make the first hunt so him and another friend of ours hit this old park. The friend found 4 Barber dimes, 1 mercury, indian, and wheats while my friend that did the research found nothing. Two weeks later we go back and i take the ctx and etrac and others and nox, the original friend that found nothing the first time and i both find nothing in the first 2 hours. I used the ctx with 17 inch because he said other friend found all 8 old coins deep on first trip. I found a few clad pieces and nothing else. I was using an open screen combined , ferrous coin. I used etrac with 7 inch coil that i had been killing it at home at a spot i been hunting when i don't have much time. Found a couple pieces of clad and nothing else. This is a very tiny park about the size of a large yard. I asked what was the other guys secret to find those 8 old coins? He said Nox digging jumpy but good number repeatable faint signals. So i pull out my Nox 800 and within 2 minutes recover a mercury dime. Two hours later i had a barber quarter, barber dime, 2 mercs, 2 buffalo nickles , 1 indian and many wheats. All 7 to 10 inches deep.

So all told in 2 trips nox 18 old coins, several machines including ctx and etrac 0 old coins. Trashy and bad soil? I honestly have no idea but i know what i am seeing here with 3 different detectorists on this small spot. I do not have a answer that anyone is going to like and i did not mention all detectors used , all i know is what i am telling you because if i had not been involved i would not have believed it. I think it might have been just too trashy for the other machines. I wish i had it on video but when i found the Barber quarter i called him over to tell and show him what kind of signals i was digging hoping to get him on the board with some good coins. He checked the spot and told me he thought it was a nail. The look on his face was priceless as i uncovered a 1900 barber quarter at 8 inches.

I honestly left that park today wondering if i need to unload some detectors. We know others have recently hunted there as well as we found some recent holes that had not healed. I know if i go back , i will only be taking one detector and i bet you can guess which one it will be.

I know it will be brought up , so yes at home i have been finding good coins as deep as 10 inches with no problem with the etrac and that 7 inch coil. From talking to the other friend who found the other 8 old coins and my experience most were found 7-8 inches deep.

I am not telling you to go buy a NOX , i am not telling you anything, simply relating an experience and you can come to your own conclusions.

Old park dominating.
Nice feedback.
Myself jam 800 into prospecring 1 mode run hot and listen. Iron bias 0.
Clues will be given. Maybe not textbook all the time but given. Tone length is key.

Right park, Right MD.

I own a few MDers and if I go to a area and I pick up nothing or my gut feeling is that I should be getting more out of the ground, I grab another MD and try again and I am always amazed when I find more with a different MD in the same spot on the same day.

GLHH

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

I have used all the FBS machines and BBS machines out there. My opinion.......

The Equinox will find targets they will not find. The only thing those other detectors will do better is keep you from digging more junk. But they keep you from digging more good stuff because they just don't see it.

I have used all the FBS machines and BBS machines out there. My opinion.......

The Equinox will find targets they will not find. The only thing those other detectors will do better is keep you from digging more junk. But they keep you from digging more good stuff because they just don't see it.

One thing i forgot to mention,, i started turning the horseshoe on and off before i would dig and i can say all those targets were masked to some degree. But i personally thought that with open screen on the other fbs machines i would have found something. I think you are right. I did not dig any trash in the 2 hours spent with the other fbs machines. No trash and no goodies either.

After thinking about it most of the 2.5 hour drive home and most of the evening yesterday , i think the Nox is like the Xp Deus in it's ability to see non ferrous among the trash but with multi iq , it goes above and beyond with the ability to also ID the non ferrous targets. The Barber quarter after i got the first plug off the top, ( i use the samson shovel six to 7 inches) i did swing the coil over the hole just to see and i was getting a very solid 28,29 so some of the masking causing the somewhat jumpy lower bouncing ID was in the top of the plug. The tone was good initially with some very bouncy ID numbers but i could glimpse the higher numbers as i turned in a 360 around the target.

One of the wheat pennies found, after i got the initial plug off the top i fround a wire like a coat hanger but about a fourth the size of a coat hanger sticking out of the wall and i thought dang i got fooled. It was twisted together and in the shape of an oval. I put it on the ground to the side as it was too big for my pouch and i would have to put in the trash can. But before i walked to the trash can i decided to swing the coil over the replaced plug and bam signal still there. I uncovered the plug again and recovered a wheat penny. I am certain that is why that coin had not been recovered before.

One thing i forgot to mention,, i started turning the horseshoe on and off before i would dig and i can say all those targets were masked to some degree. But i personally thought that with open screen on the other fbs machines i would have found something. I think you are right. I did not dig any trash in the 2 hours spent with the other fbs machines. No trash and no goodies either.

After thinking about it most of the 2.5 hour drive home and most of the evening yesterday , i think the Nox is like the Xp Deus in it's ability to see non ferrous among the trash but with multi iq , it goes above and beyond with the ability to also ID the non ferrous targets. The Barber quarter after i got the first plug off the top, ( i use the samson shovel six to 7 inches) i did swing the coil over the hole just to see and i was getting a very solid 28,29 so some of the masking causing the somewhat jumpy lower bouncing ID was in the top of the plug. The tone was good initially with some very bouncy ID numbers but i could glimpse the higher numbers as i turned in a 360 around the target.

One of the wheat pennies found, after i got the initial plug off the top i fround a wire like a coat hanger but about a fourth the size of a coat hanger sticking out of the wall and i thought dang i got fooled. It was twisted together and in the shape of an oval. I put it on the ground to the side as it was too big for my pouch and i would have to put in the trash can. But before i walked to the trash can i decided to swing the coil over the replaced plug and bam signal still there. I uncovered the plug again and recovered a wheat penny. I am certain that is why that coin had not been recovered before.

Take your camera and go back. Take CTX with stock coil and Eqx with stock coil.
Hunt with Eqx and try and locate something. Put ctx over it. Dig.
See what it is.
And be sure to try CTX in ferrous coin and ground coin.

And cross check signal using Eqx using prospecring 1 too.

And check with Eqx with horseshoe engaged and not engaged using park or field modes (best one of these that hits the suspect target).

You do this 2 or 3 times and video and if what happened above happens again.

Makes for a sensational video and some sensational learning for the newer folks.

I ha e had simalr experiences as yours. But not found as many higher conductive coins in a site like you have. But these sites never have produced much in the past either with any detector. So all relative.

Thanks for sharing your adventure.

Take your camera and go back. Take CTX with stock coil and Eqx with stock coil.
Hunt with Eqx and try and locate something. Put ctx over it. Dig.
See what it is.
And be sure to try CTX in ferrous coin and ground coin.

And cross check signal using Eqx using prospecring 1 too.

And check with Eqx with horseshoe engaged and not engaged using park or field modes (best one of these that hits the suspect target).

You do this 2 or 3 times and video and if what happened above happens again.

Makes for a sensational video and some sensational learning for the newer folks.

I ha e had simalr experiences as yours. But not found as many higher conductive coins in a site like you have. But these sites never have produced much in the past either with any detector. So all relative.

Thanks for sharing your adventure.

This, ^^^^^^Cross checking signals is the only true test. I'd be hard pressed to believe the person with the CTX wouldn't have seen those coins.

d an experience yesterday where I and another detectorist took our other machines (my Anfibio, his Nox) back to the truck a little disappointed and both pulled the CTX back out. We both spoke of the multiple iron nails we have pulled out of the same hole as a silver coin, without any type of iffy signal on the CTX'S.

It is 130 miles away, but when i do get back i intend too. After you hunt with 2 machines for couple hours and find nothing, then in a few minutes get your first silver of the day then another and another and so on,,, it is just hard to put the dang Nox down and go get another machine! Nobody got time for that! LOL

so what were your settings on the nox?..what do you think made the difference?
you said something about digging repeatable signals that were jumping around? is this what made the difference?

(h.h.!)
j.t.

I dug a silver Rosie and a V nickel today with the Nox 800 and stock coil in Park1. The spot has been hammered over and over by a plethora of top detectors. The Rosie was only about 4". It was masked by something because the numbers were kind of jumpy, but 27-28 was popping up from only one direction and slightly lower numbers as I circled. The V nickel was 5"-6" and solid number 12-13 all the way 360 degrees.

I can see someone passing the nickel just not wanting to dig nickel tones, but the Rosie is a different story. These are empty lots so digging perfect plugs is not required though I always try to make mine neat. There were old plugs all thru the area I dug the Rosie.

I dug a silver Rosie and a V nickel today with the Nox 800 and stock coil in Park1. The spot has been hammered over and over by a plethora of top detectors. The Rosie was only about 4". It was masked by something because the numbers were kind of jumpy, but 27-28 was popping up from only one direction and slightly lower numbers as I circled. The V nickel was 5"-6" and solid number 12-13 all the way 360 degrees.

I can see someone passing the nickel just not wanting to dig nickel tones, but the Rosie is a different story. These are empty lots so digging perfect plugs is not required though I always try to make mine neat. There were old plugs all thru the area I dug the Rosie.

Well.
You think the reason the nickle was left was because a person didn’t want to dig nickel tone.
Maybe or maybe not.
Fact
Eqx can Id nickels partially masked and ID well.
Deus on a lot of these scenarios will see the nickle and give tone, ID in ERROR.
So in a site with some modern trash Deus will be popping tone on a lot of nonferrous. But which ones do you dig.
Etrac and CTX may or may not detect a partially masked nickel again if they do higher chance of ID in ERROR vs Equinox.
Btw I have done vidoes that show just this.
Here’s is video I did.
Comparing Etrac and Eqx 800
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vz77QsUpfxQ

Shallower buried nickle with nail near and slightly above.

This is the REASON we see so many folks pulling nickles out of sites already hit by supposedly great detectors.

Masked nickels as far as giving odds on correct ID, EQuinox 800 is the best VLF detector for doing I have used bar none. Eqx 600 can do too.

Last edited:
Old park dominating.
Nice feedback.
Myself jam 800 into prospecring 1 mode run hot and listen. Iron bias 0.
Clues will be given. Maybe not textbook all the time but given. Tone length is key.

Not to completely hijack the thread,

Hi Sharpshooter

What's the advantages to using Prospecting 1 in a park? I have a site that I suspect has quite deep good targets. Would Prospeting 1 give me an advantage, as far as depth, over Park 1.? Also what recovery speed do you suggest for a site with minimal trash, but some iron?

I have dug a lot more old nickels since I got the Nox. No doubt about it!

Yep!

Now some folks may read what I wrote above and disagree or think I am Rep for Minelab or just in the tank with EQx. I am NOT.

Now CTX with its bin setting allowance tone wise can find nickels and less trash overall. But it too like Etrac will not ID as many nickels partially masked with correct ID as EQx will.

Etrac user has to hunt by glancing at screen to see if nickel ID is there or not after they get a tone that sounds close to nickel. Pain in the arse.

Does EQx ID all detected nickels and or provide correct tone on nickels ?? No, absolutely not.
But it does give advantage over all other VLFs for ID on nickes.

If a site had seen loads of fbs/fbs 2 action, would I want to hunt with Etrac or CTX again if my desire was to find nickels ??? No
Would be waste of time (if I had a Eqx detector).

Last edited:
so what were your settings on the nox?..what do you think made the difference?
you said something about digging repeatable signals that were jumping around? is this what made the difference?

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Tonally they repeated, ID no, but ID was always something decent like 20 plus. With the horseshoe on you could hear iron as well , but circling the hole you could usually find a sweet spot where it wasn't as bad. Get your coil tight (warble it) and it makes a difference. I think the masking was just too much for the other machines.

yes! i am hearing this from other sources! it appears the "nox" is giving
just enough information to make the digging decision.wondering if the "multi freak"
is the deal maker! if i was a betting man,i would say yes! been at this for over 35 years and following the "nox" very carefully! seeing and reading everything,and i am just about convinced it can make a difference in "scorched" sites does using the 6" coil make it even tighter in the the junk?.pull stuff masked?

(h.h.!)
j.t.

For what ever reason my luck with the 6" coil has been marginal. I did find a couple of Buffs with it. Strangely I have not found a silver with it yet. I actually used it several hours yesterday and got discouraged. I had put the stock coil back on before I hunted the area that I found the silver Rosie and the V nickel. I still have high hopes for it in certain spots. Just no luck so far.

yes! i am hearing this from other sources! it appears the "nox" is giving
just enough information to make the digging decision.wondering if the "multi freak"
is the deal maker! if i was a betting man,i would say yes! been at this for over 35 years and following the "nox" very carefully! seeing and reading everything,and i am just about convinced it can make a difference in "scorched" sites does using the 6" coil make it even tighter in the the junk?.pull stuff masked?

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Multi is the magic! I have tried the NOX in single freq several of them and it is no better than an average detector. I was also running the stock coil at the park where we hunted, never did put the 6 inch so i really cannot report anything about it.

For what ever reason my luck with the 6" coil has been marginal. I did find a couple of Buffs with it. Strangely I have not found a silver with it yet. I actually used it several hours yesterday and got discouraged. I had put the stock coil back on before I hunted the area that I found the silver Rosie and the V nickel. I still have high hopes for it in certain spots. Just no luck so far.

I have done a video comparing small and stock coil using Eqx 800 model. One test comparing using 5 tones and 50 tones.
Folks may find this interesting and helpful.
Will post in my EQX thread here later. It will be a while.

At lunch I took my Nox 800 and Etrac with stock coils out and swung over a real deep clad quarter buried flat in my backyard. The Etrac seemed to hit it better. The 800 hit it best in Park1, but Park2 hit it good enough not to miss it. I then put Nox in Gold1 and hit it, but I had to swing faster to get best VID and tone. I have not used the gold program at all. Why did I have to swing so fast for best results?

Back
Top Bottom