Multi IQ Gen-2 mentioned in link below

Seems like just forum talk and nothing too substantial. Still, I'm sure some kind of an upgrade is coming. I wonder if this will be a firmware update or you have to buy a new detector?

Seems like just forum talk and nothing too substantial. Still, I'm sure some kind of an upgrade is coming. I wonder if this will be a firmware update or you have to buy a new detector?

There have been some polls of Equinox users on two other forums initiated by Minelab I believe. I thought Dankowski may be testing prototypes. At least that is what I took from some of the conversation in one of the Equinox topic threads.

If it's a massive improvement, I'd imagine you'd need to buy a new detector.

Not saying software only upgrades can't result in a Gen 2 MIQ, but if Minelab did that, it seems like they're leaving money on the table.

There have been some polls of Equinox users on two other forums initiated by Minelab I believe. I thought Dankowski may be testing prototypes. At least that is what I took from some of the conversation in one of the Equinox topic threads.

I believe Minelab has a new multi-iq machine in the testing stage. The question is how long before we get to see it and the topic on Dankowskis thread about rusty iron and silver. Will it be able to tell them apart. The machine that could separate iron from a high conductor with say a 90 to 95 % certainty could be a real game changer. Now I know some will say " its all in the tone " and you just gotta know what your machine is telling you and I agree but if you don't dig that little less than perfect signal, maybe a little scratchy or bouncing #s you could be walking on some great finds. I admit I dig alot of rusty nails, screws and other ferrous targets that break small and sound good. I just find it hard not to dig those signals. When Minelab came out with Multi-IQ it did a great job on picking out masked targets. Now if the next gen Mutli-IQ can accurately Id and separate ferrous-non ferrous targets I would pony up the cash in a heartbeat. Just my two cents. Mark

I believe Minelab has a new multi-iq machine in the testing stage. The question is how long before we get to see it and the topic on Dankowskis thread about rusty iron and silver. Will it be able to tell them apart. The machine that could separate iron from a high conductor with say a 90 to 95 % certainty could be a real game changer. Now I know some will say " its all in the tone " and you just gotta know what your machine is telling you and I agree but if you don't dig that little less than perfect signal, maybe a little scratchy or bouncing #s you could be walking on some great finds. I admit I dig alot of rusty nails, screws and other ferrous targets that break small and sound good. I just find it hard not to dig those signals. When Minelab came out with Multi-IQ it did a great job on picking out masked targets. Now if the next gen Mutli-IQ can accurately Id and separate ferrous-non ferrous targets I would pony up the cash in a heartbeat. Just my two cents. Mark

I definitely agree! I'm still amazed that my 540 picks up medium sized chunks of rusted iron with the same/similar VDI as a copper penny, quarter or dime.

As for the second bolded part, I'm sure with enough practice (hundreds of hours) with an Equinox 800, I could tell them apart. But the whole point of MIQ is to save time and allow rookie and average metal detectorists discriminate /cherry pick with a great deal of accuracy.

It's like telling someone manual transmission is better than automatic, "you just gotta put in the practice." Well, sure, but most people don't have that time and just want an easy way to drive from point A to point B.

I definitely agree! I'm still amazed that my 540 picks up medium sized chunks of rusted iron with the same/similar VDI as a copper penny, quarter or dime.

As for the second bolded part, I'm sure with enough practice (hundreds of hours) with an Equinox 800, I could tell them apart. But the whole point of MIQ is to save time and allow rookie and average metal detectorists discriminate /cherry pick with a great deal of accuracy.

It's like telling someone manual transmission is better than automatic, "you just gotta put in the practice." Well, sure, but most people don't have that time and just want an easy way to drive from point A to point B.

mh, yes and no. I have been hunting with the 800 since Feb. 2018. I got one of the first ones out and I'm sure well over a thousand hours with the machine. I can tell with a 97% certainty if I have a coin under the coil, IF ITS NOT TOO CLOSE to a co mingled target. And many times you will get a good coin signal from one or two directions and you dig because that Multi- Freg doing its job, sniffing out a good target amongst trash. Now for this detail, its that small breaking repeatable high tone that will show good #s and often in more than one direction and you dig only to find a rusty nail or screw. This is where the devil lies, and the OP on the other forums thread I believe is what he is talking about. He is from Sw Pa. and we have messaged and hunted the same dirt. So I understand and share his frustration as I run into frequently the scenario he describes. I don't think 5,000 hours would help. The iffy signals, there are many ways to play around and do a dig or a no dig but its that one type of signal you can't walk away from and this, in my mind and my hope that the next gen Multi IQ can do. I don't have a background in electronics or engineering but apparently rusty iron and high conductors share some type of common factors so too then there should also be disseminating factors that would distinquish the two. Maybe my way of thinking is too simple, possibly the holy grail and not achievable. And then again I wonder if Nokta Macro isn't trying to do just that. The next year should be a quite an interesting one it the mding world. Mark

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom