Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Myers Depot Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Detectors and Gear > Metal Detector Accessories

Old 01-13-2019, 09:14 PM

Default Compass Challenger X-100

A couple of days ago, I stopped at a local pawnshop in search of a small, inexpensive detector for my youngest son. They didnít have but one detector on hand, an old Compass Challenger X-100 that theyíve had in the back room for a couple of years. Nobody has shown interest in the thing since it came in, and the owner had no idea if it even works.

It looks to be in really good condition, and Iím considering making him an offer since it looks like it was probably a decent detector in its day. Iím hoping that some of the folks here whoíve been in the hobby for a while could pass along their experiences with it. Also wondering what one might be worth in the modern push-button, digital era.

Iím new to detecting and have just gotten my first detector, a Tracker IV, just over a week ago, so I have almost nothing to base my decision on.

Thanks in advance!

Old 01-13-2019, 09:31 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the Forum Rob. A quick Google search showed lot's of info on that detector.......

Old 01-13-2019, 09:45 PM

Iíve been searching and reading what Iím finding.

Iíve even tried to decipher the few Spanish YouTube videos that Iíve found. (I should have paid more attention in class, those thirty years ago.)

Old 01-14-2019, 09:09 AM
Elite Member

Weighs a ton, burns lots of batteries and a handle that is an arm-wrecker. Also only one guy is known to work on them and he is usually way backlogged with work.

Unless itís cheap or free, Iíd be careful.

Hereís a link to the manual

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/10...ger-X-100.html

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-14-2019, 11:28 AM
Elite Member

I never had an X-100 but I had an X-80. It was a geeat machine but it always acted up after using it for abour half an hour. I found a number of old coins with it. I sold it to a friend who moved and never paid me for it. The last I heard he had it fixed and it worked fine.

Old 01-14-2019, 04:00 PM
Elite Member

Like other powerful single freq detectors it is way more impressive in air tests or in low mineral ground than in mineralized ground.