New member.....equipping soon.

DaveTheMechanic

I have been reading(alot), and watching (many)videos by experienced MD folks. The MAIN takeaway I've found are thus;

1. Expect 95-97% trash.
2. Develop and use PATIENCE, above all else.
3. Nobody finds it all, in a given area. FACT.
4. Use good sweeping FORM, don't get lazy, or careless.
5. There are MANY good machines out there, there is no "BEST" to be found. The OPERATOR, often makes all the difference.
6. KNOW THY MACHINE.
7. As a beginner, just learning the hobby, and your machine....DIG EVERYTHING !

Got any further advice ?
(still saving for my mid-level machine)

I have been reading(alot), and watching (many)videos by experienced MD folks. The MAIN takeaway I've found are thus;

1. Expect 95-97% trash.
5. There are MANY good machines out there, there is no "BEST" to be found. The OPERATOR, often makes all the difference.
6. KNOW THY MACHINE.

Got any further advice ?

Welcome to the hobby!

Heres another takeaway: Location!

With the right location, your trash percentage will be MUCH lower than 95%.

by my judgement of your post it doesn't need to be said, but I'll say it anyways. Research, research, research. Not gonna find what is not there. though looks like you already function naturally that way based on your approach so far.

1. Expect 95-97% trash.
6. KNOW THY MACHINE.

Got any further advice ?

Welcome to the forum.

A good used Etrac properly used, a user won’t dig 95% trash looking for copper and silver. Maybe like 10-20% trash.

Any VLF detector looking for gold jewelry expect trash dug to be 97% plus.
Not based on one day of digging.
Say a years worth.

So 1,000 holes dug a person might find what— best case scenario 30 pieces of jewelry. Yeah and worst even less.

And sure there will be days where one might dig 40 holes and find say 2 gold rings. This would be an exception to real world odds. And YES some folks get big headed and thinknthry can tell by sound or ID, yippee I can distinguish gold from trash. Pure BS. Don’t fall for it.

Last edited:
Welcome to the hobby and the forum from Wisconsin's now thawed Tundra. You all ready have enough advice, now its time to put your newly learn knowledge into action. Trapper

When getting started, dig everything.
It's the best way to learn to your machine and how to differentiate between good targets and trash. Good luck.

Build yourself a test garden, include coins, jewelry, pull tabs, bobbie pins, bottle caps and nails at differing depths.

Welcome from South Carolina !!!!

Dig proper plugs and refill your holes and take trash with you, if you leave an area looking as if you've never dug there then that helps make it more likely people won't complain and get the area made off limits to detecting.

Use the search feature on the forum, a lot a great info in past threads to be found !

:mder: ______ :mder: ______ :mder: ______ :mder:

:fmdfwelcome: Thanks for joining us! It sounds like you've really got a good grasp on the hobby. :D

As for tips, practice detecting in your own yard. This will help you become acquainted with your detector, as well as give you practice in digging and filling nice, neat plugs (which is pretty important :yes:). I hope you find some neat stuff (but even if you don't come across it right away, be encouraged: some of the best finds take a while in coming)!

Since you mentioned you like to watch the YouTube videos, here's a channel to check out if you haven't already: NuggetNoggin. (I found this channel to be quite helpful when I was just starting out.) Have fun with your new hobby, and keep up the good work! We are glad to have you. :grin:

That 95% trash rate depends on what you are hunting and how you hunt. Relic hunting you might hit that, often the only difference between trash and a relic is a hundred years.
Just clad stabbin a local park for recent drops, on a good day I could probably hit 95% coins if I really wanted too. I don't because I want some jewelry and all the other stuff people lose. If you're looking for gold in the park and dig every signal that "could" be gold you will hit 95% trash real quick.

Back
Top Bottom