Return Attempt Gone Wrong

SoOregonMd

Elite Member
A couple of Months ago I found a Very Large ID Bracelet.
When I first saw it I almost had a heart attack as it was Gold.. turned out to be Gold Colored.

On the front there was a Name and on the back Love Nao.

The name on it was pretty unusual so I didn't think it would be hard to find the Owner and set out to try and Return it.
I Googled the name and found someone with that name in the same sate as me but about 6 hrs. away. I also found that his wife's name was Naomi so was pretty sure I had the right guy.

When looking for a phone number I came across an Obituary for the guy from February this year.. He was only 46 and left a wife and son.

Well at this point I decided to try and get a hold of the wife so I looked for her. I tried about 4 different phone numbers I found on Google but all were disconnected. I then searched for her on Facebook and located her.

I sent her a Message telling her who I was and what I had found and was willing to mail it to her. Well I never heard back so I found a Relative of hers.. No response.. So I found a Relative of His and Got a Response

My Message to her:
"Hi I am hoping you can help me.. My name is Curt and I live in Sam's Valley Oregon The other day while metal detecting at Touvelle park I found an ID Bracelet with Oli N's name on it and Love Nao on the back. I believe it is someone in your family.
It is my understanding that Oli possibly passed away recently and for that I am very sorry for your loss.
I was hoping to return the id bracelet to Naomi who i believe is his wife.. If you or someone can call me at 541-XXX-XXXX i can arrange to return it to her as I have a feeling that she would want it back.. who knows maybe it is a sign.. "

Her Response:
"Whatever you’ve found you can toss. Thanks anyway."

So at this point I am Like WOW and don't know what to think.. so I guess I did my part right?

I just hope when I am dead and Gone that my Family would think a little more than just throw it away !!

Attachments

• Bracelet.jpg
    Bracelet.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 750
Sheesh! That's a pretty rough response! But who knows what the situation was there - coulda been "Nao" who deep sixed the guy for all we know! :laughing: Anyways, yeah - you definitely did more than your fair share of due diligence on that one.

But inquiring minds wanna know...you keeping it or you gonna "throw it away"???

Well, that was certainly unexpected.. But never know what the deal was.

But good on ya for trying so diligently.

I'm gonna say it wasn't even the right person, hence "her" reason for not responding.

When you went to a family member, who likely was no more related to the bracelet than the 1st woman, they likely figured it was some sort of scam, and let you know they weren't interested.

ETA: But, good on ya for tryin'

Ya know,we try. Sometimes it’s good,other times not. I ran into a very similar situation trying to return a class ring to a guy,I think his girl at the time might have had it and there was a breakup....anyway,he didn’t want it back. And when I say nice,I mean NICE!

Attachments

• 6DBB8A80-5387-4702-933C-6CEDEB4D1470.jpg
    6DBB8A80-5387-4702-933C-6CEDEB4D1470.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 683
Looks to me like you I did all you could do. In the end you tried and with that you should feel good and hopefully earn some good detecting Karma.

Whoa! That's really too bad that they didn't want it. But you did a great job trying! :yes: Perhaps that person wasn't related, after all?

Yup, I once tried to return a silver bracelet that had a guy's WWII military service number on it. Not going into detail here, but it's safe to say I'll never try to track down anyone again.

Bottom line, there's nothing worse than getting treated like dirt when you're trying to do the right thing...

HOLY SHIP!

That's almost kinda funny and super messed up at same time!!

I bet if it was real gold she would have been begging you to return it.

Geez!

Matt.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Obviously someone wasn't loved too deeply in the family!

I get it. I have a sister who is the exact same way with one of our grandmother's things. She simply refuses to have anything fro that side.

Yup, I once tried to return a silver bracelet that had a guy's WWII military service number on it. Not going into detail here, but it's safe to say I'll never try to track down anyone again.

Bottom line, there's nothing worse than getting treated like dirt when you're trying to do the right thing...

The last sentence is something I think weve all had experience with,and it does SUCK. Well said Tim...

Like IDX- monster says: Some returns are fun and enjoyable. Others are awkward and ungrateful. Keep trying though, you never know whose life you can impact for the better.

Back
Top Bottom