Best Find To Date!!! Thanks Henning

That's a great find indeed. I had never heard of this story before now. I just spent the last half hour reading different articles about the Henning fakes. There are other dates out there too, not just the 1944. These are harder to tell if they are fake since they did not have the large mint mark. Very interesting story for sure. Part of me thinks the man is genius for finding a low profile way to make 2 cents profit across hundreds of thousands of nickels (it cost him 3 cents per nickel). The other part of me thinks he was a complete moron for using a war nickel as his obverse on one of his dies. Had he used any year other than a war nickel there is no telling how long he could have keep it up. We may never have known.

Yes I too researched him for quite a while and found that he was actually quite an intelligent man (mechanical engineer if im not mistaken). Yes it cost him 3 cents a piece but when you factor in the cost of all the equipment, I find it hard to believe that he mad any profit whatsoever and I would venture to say he probably went in the hole. So clearly he wasn't in it for the profit, and no one, especially not an intelligent man such as himself would forget such an important detail as the mintmark. That's like counterfeiting pennies and forgetting to put lincoln on there. I believe he had other intentions when making these nickels, but I'm not sure what? Maybe just to prove it could be done...?

Back
Top Bottom