• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Learning to read beaches

I've watched a lot of beach hunt videos and I agree that reading the beach is 99% of the battle. NH Beach Metaldetecting does a great job of showing how to read beaches in his area. Not as applicable for Florida, especially gulf, beaches but very helpful none the less.

BCD

I've watched a lot of beach hunt videos and I agree that reading the beach is 99% of the battle. NH Beach Metaldetecting does a great job of showing how to read beaches in his area. Not as applicable for Florida, especially gulf, beaches but very helpful none the less.

BCD

Another great resource that I have found is fishing websites. Like the article here starting at the 11th post
http://sealine.co.za/view_topic.php?id=23805

We were all kind of doing our own thing that day working our buns off just to find anything worth the time. So none of us got to chat much. We all should have taken a break.

Over the years I've learned a few things. When I first started out I was obsessed. I would go out EVERY morning after work (I work graveyards) and I would put in leg work. Didn't matter where or what conditions. my finds to effort ratio wasn't so great. I did and still do have the mindset that if you put in work you'll find more BUT I'm smarter now.
I went from being a lone wolf who would get agitated if I saw someone else detecting even near me to becoming more social about it. I've made a network of other MD buddies and when a spot opens up we text ea other to rush there and kill it. I've learned that although it's a singular hobby, it's a group effort to find spots and when those spots open, there is NO WAY you can clean it out yourself unless of course its a real small spot.
I've learned that YouTube has seriously changed things. I've learned to watch swell\tides/wave sites and to look at beach web cams. I no longer just go willy nilly and hit a spot regardless. I no longer grid the #$%#$ out of a spot if all I'm finding is aluminum and pennies. I am now a much better WATER hunter and can care less for the geriatric hunted dry sand. There are a TON of retired folk who love to hunt just as anyone else and they got 24/7 to get out there. I have maybe 5 hrs a week right now so I play it the best I can. I would say that 5% of hunters venture in the water. I don't mean calf deep. I mean neck deep. On a good low tide, getting chest deep, finding weights, go pros, jewelry, etc is where it's at.. I've learned to hunt a high tide down til it's a low. NOT show up 20 minutes before low tide top of the hour.
Ive learned that if you walk down a slope and it's like soft marshmallow sand.... Go home.. Don't waste your time. If you see rocks that are there that weren't there 3 days ago call in sick or go to work REAL tired. I've learned to look on Craigslist or Offerup or whatever you have locally for people who say... Help, I lost my ring over there somewhere. REWARD.. Ive learned to be real NICE to the wife a week BEFORE conditions and be sure to give her most of the silver and never brag to her about the gold... :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom