• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Has anybody made a metal detector?

DbblTap

Elite Member
There is something I want to try but it involves making a giant "Coil".

Has anybody made one and how did you get it to work with a MD?

Thanks!

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

I have a friend who lives near me who has been building them for years. He guided me through building one and it works but is a wall hanger when you own a good machine you are in tune with. I used a Manta board he gave me and made the box, arm cuff, shaft and wired everything. The coil I used was supplied by my friend also, he makes them from scratch. He vacuum molds the shells, winds the coil wire and pours the epoxy. I actually have a shell next to me that I am going to wind when I get time.

Yep I made one.. Back in the 60s, you could buy a kit from Raido Shack. It come with everything. It took me weeks to finish it, but I got it done. Put 2 lbs of batteries in it . It worked if you could see the item first and if it was big as a base ball, but it beeped.. KEN :D

There is something I want to try but it involves making a giant "Coil".

Has anybody made one and how did you get it to work with a MD?

Thanks!

Giant coils are best used with a PI unit. Fortunately, there are quite a few "build it yourself" PI schematics and kits floating around on the internet.

Here is a large coil PI (not mine).
keen_digger.jpg

Giant coils are best used with a PI unit. Fortunately, there are quite a few "build it yourself" PI schematics and kits floating around on the internet.

Here is a large coil PI (not mine).
View attachment 426346
Can this be Square and pulled behind me ?

Sure. I've also seen "two men" square coils in use. The hard part will be the longevity of the coil if you are planning to drag it.
I was thinking of putting it on skids of some sort.

Yep I made one.. Back in the 60s, you could buy a kit from Raido Shack. It come with everything. It took me weeks to finish it, but I got it done. Put 2 lbs of batteries in it . It worked if you could see the item first and if it was big as a base ball, but it beeped.. KEN :D

reminds me of my Heathkit CB Radio. It worked if the car you were talking to was right by behind you with bumpers almost touching. Bought a EF Johnson Viking CB, jumped it up to 10 watts and live was good in the CB world back then.

Back
Top Bottom