Need Advice On Coin Cleaning Chemicals.

ToddB64

Elite Member
To: Arthur Evans (and others)

Arthur's Profile says "Science Guy", so I directed this post to him, however, other's having knowledge of chemical reactions with metals I encourage to add their advice.

I have a batch of dug coins of the following metallurgical descriptions that I want to clean with my Chicago Electric no.67632 Dual-Drum Tumbler, using the ingredients listed below, before cashing at the Bank.

My question is at the bottom.

Thanks,
ToddB64

Coin Descriptions:

1998 D Jefferson Nickels (Composition: 1946 to date 75% Cu and 25% Ni, according to Red Book 2013, page 135.). I interpret this description as an Alloy (homogeneous mixture of metals, versus clad coins).

1990 D and 2002 D Roosevelt Dimes (Composition: outer layers of Cu and Ni, bonded to inner core of pure Cu, Red Book 2013, page 161.)

1989 D Washington Quarters (Composition Same as Dimes: outer layers of Cu and Ni, bonded to inner core of pure Cu, Red Book 2013, page 178.)

Question:
Is it safe for these coins, from the standpoint of chemical reactions with their metallic compositions, to clean them all together in my Chicago Electric Dual-Drum Tumbler, each drum filled to approx. 2½ lb. total weight with the following ingredients ?

Cleaning Ingredients:
1. about 1 cup (unequal mix of coins described above).
2. natural color quartz aquarium gravel to bring total weight up to approx. 2½ lb./Drum.
3. one tablespoon Borax (20 Mule Team).
4. 1-2 drops Dawn Ultra Platinum liquid dish soap.
5. 1-2 tsp. ACE no. 10183 Janitorial Strength Formula ammonia,
contains 10% ammonium hydroxide, no phosphates, no rinse performance.
6. Tap water, just enough to cover coin/gravel mix.

Last edited:
Well, no replies as of today 1-28-2019 12:44 PM EST !

Not surprising for Arthur Evans, as according to his Profile he hasn't been active since 07-05-18 12:22 AM.

At the top of my post I did say "To: Arthur Evans (and others)".

Guess Mr. Evans is the only "Science Guy" we have ! :lol:

ToddB64

Not a scientific answer but figuring they are all modern coins worth only face value, aquarium gravel, a squirt of dawn and a few hours in tumbler to make them at least repsectable. Dump at your local Coinstar, leave any rejects in the return bin so others can post their lucky Coinstar find the next day. :D

All the coins you mentioned together are fine. Someone here on another thread steered me towards CLR for cleaning clad. I throw the coins in with media (aquarium gravel), a couple squirts of CLR and a bit of salt. It works amazingly well in a short period time.

Well thanks for that T-Man, MuddyMo and marcomo, but I wasn't asking for coin cleaning recipes. :laughing: Please re-read my orig. post on 01-01-2019.

In brief I was asking if my recipe as listed is safe for cleaning the Nickels, Dimes and Quarters listed with their metallic compositions in my post. This question can be answered from two viewpoints, as follows:

#1..For those without a college degree in chemistry, "empirical" evidence from previous results when cleaning the exact same coins with the exact same ingredients listed in my original post would be valuable and usable information when replying. I would have done this myself, but thought we had enough "Science Guys" here to answer my query without having to run cleaning experiments and possibly messing-up my coins in the process.
Didn't think it was going to be such a big deal to get an answer. :roll:

#2..And for those who are schooled in Chemical Science and having theoretical as well as empirical knowledge from lab experiments, you would just need to judge the safety of using the three chemicals #3, #4 and #5 listed in my original post to clean the Nickels, Dimes and Quarters listed with their metallic compositions in my post #1.

Thanks for helps.

ToddB64

Last edited:
Sorry Todd, I didn't read the full post. I read the putting them in tumbler before cashing in bank. I thought a simple soaking would solve your need.

Back
Top Bottom