We've hit mainstream

"ritish insurance company Protect Your Bubble, 11 percent of people have lost their wedding rings in the past five years"

11% in 5 years? LOL that's a LOT of lost rings!

For every 100 people that's 2 a year. I should be finding a LOT more rings... of course, that doesn't mean they're losing them where we are detecting. :(

11% in 5 years? LOL that's a LOT of lost rings!

For every 100 people that's 2 a year. I should be finding a LOT more rings... of course, that doesn't mean they're losing them where we are detecting. :(

I recently became one of those 11%...and it's kind of ironic and embarrassing to have to admit that I can't find my own ring! Especially in my case, since there's a high probability that I lost it exactly where I was detecting: I Contributed to the Continuity of the Hobby...

I still continue to search that field occasionally, still no luck....

I'd like to hear from people who are members.

$65 a year seems like a lot of money to me to do volunteer work. I've been lucky enough to recover a few rings for people but paying $65 for the pleasure seems like a lot.

Granted, we're not in the hobby to get rich, but I'd like to at least come close to breaking even.

So has the fee been worth it to you? Why? Thanks!

I have seen the members ads on facebook. It appears that they expect to be paid for their service. I get a real thrill of handing someone their lost merchandise and watching their reaction. I thought that one young lady was going to break my neck with her bear hug and she had to hug me multiple times. Her reaction made the effort well worth while.

When I have found lost rings on the beach they always ask me "How much"? My reply is always "It'll cost you a picture". They've been grateful and have always sent me the picture since I usually don't have a camera or my phone with me.

When I have found lost rings on the beach they always ask me "How much"? My reply is always "It'll cost you a picture". They've been grateful and have always sent me the picture since I usually don't have a camera or my phone with me.

that is exactly what I told the young lady last august when I handed her the heirloom ring that she had lost. And I got my picture. Also got a thank you card from her and one from her mother. The ring had belonged to the Grandmother and it had some very nice diamonds on it

That's me- I require a pic. The feeling that you get returning something someone absolutely Treasures + they thought was lost forever is The Best. Most insist on rewarding me, but I wont take it. My decrepit daddy would whup my butt if I kept something that didn't belong to me and I knew who the owner was. I tell them they can donate to a dog rescue or something if they feel that they Must do something.

But paying for the privilege of helping others is a joke. Just someone looking to make a buck from well intentioned detectorists + others' misfortunes. I was a member of Lost My Stuff until he went to a pay site. But in his case, it was just to keep the lights on as the monthly web fees were eating him up.

note: I do NOT begrudge anyone charging for their detecting/recovery services. Everyone's financial situation is different.

That's me- I require a pic. The feeling that you get returning something someone absolutely Treasures + they thought was lost forever is The Best. Most insist on rewarding me, but I wont take it. My decrepit daddy would whup my butt if I kept something that didn't belong to me and I knew who the owner was. I tell them they can donate to a dog rescue or something if they feel that they Must do something.

But paying for the privilege of helping others is a joke. Just someone looking to make a buck from well intentioned detectorists + others' misfortunes. I was a member of Lost My Stuff until he went to a pay site. But in his case, it was just to keep the lights on as the monthly web fees were eating him up.

note: I do NOT begrudge anyone charging for their detecting/recovery services. Everyone's financial situation is different.
I see it differently if I am already there detecting and helping out on a lost ring as opposed to getting in my car, driving over, paying for parking and then looking for it. I don't need a reward but I would want a reasonable reimbursement for gas and parking under these circumstances.

When I have found lost rings on the beach they always ask me "How much"? My reply is always "It'll cost you a picture". ...

I like this post.

We all like finding a valuable object that we get to keep. But when it comes right down to it, the reunion stories (with the personal human element) are always the most fun. Whenever my wife and I show off my museum to visiting guests and relatives, she's always quick to tell the various posse-hunt "saved the day" type stories. As if those have higher priority than the gold coins I'm trying to show off, doh! :laughing:

I like this post.

We all like finding a valuable object that we get to keep. But when it comes right down to it, the reunion stories (with the personal human element) are always the most fun. Whenever my wife and I show off my museum to visiting guests and relatives, she's always quick to tell the various posse-hunt "saved the day" type stories. As if those have higher priority than the gold coins I'm trying to show off, doh! :laughing:

Gotta agree with Tom, the reunion stories are the best part. My best stories are about finds and returns. All in all the article was a good read.

Back
Top Bottom