Metal detecting vs Bike Riding,

demyansk1942

Elite Member
Okay, I was riding my bike today and I think of a lot of things while training. I thought, man do I find a lot of good stuff while riding. What's better for finding things, a bike or a metal detector.

Well in the last 3 years I have found 2 working cellphones
I was riding near my house and I found four $20 bills
The picture shows what I found in the last three weeks
- Nice new sponge from Home Depot (found today)
- I-Pod that works
- Blackberry works and owner never contacts me about it

Now, I didn't count all the tools and spare change I find on the roads but since I am now combining a sport with a hobby I could retire soon!!!

Thought you would like this

Attachments

• 942 001.JPG
    942 001.JPG
    64.5 KB · Views: 292
Awesome finds!! I used to live along a busy street and I would ride my bike every day looking for aluminum cans to bring to the scrap yard, Well one day I found a winning $2 lottery ticket on the side of the road!! :shock::shock::D:D I was pumped for sure. :yes:

Oh Yeah, I forgot about all the cans I used to pick up with a special jacket I had that contained a holding spot in the back of the jacket with zippers on each side. I used to pick up cans and then return.

By the way, a good item to use when hunting is actually a bike jersey with the three easy to get to pockets. You can place all kinds of things in them including a water container, powerbars, flashlight, batteries etc.

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 260
I have been splitting my spare time between riding (CAAD 10) and detecting lately too. You do find a lot of tools on the road, and it takes at least a quarter to make me stop. But been doing MUCH better in the detector finds department the last couple weeks than the eyeball/riding finds...

Attachments

• bikes.jpg
    bikes.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 253
  • bucks.jpg
    bucks.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 260
Nice diggler,
andy
I find all kinds of tools, probably my biggest finds are sheet rock tools, screwdrivers, ratchets, phillips heads, I stopped for a penny today - that rarely happens but I was doing the same stretch of road a few times, nice cannondale, I have a Litespeed. I found a nice Blackburn pump and gave it to my dad.

I ride a bike a lot, too. Once found a cheap watch at an intersection & it was still working. I kept it in my tackle box for a long time.

Yeah, you can find a lot of stuff on the side of the road, I think we will be finding more phones,

By the way, I wonder how an Ipod comes up on the detector, i'll have to find out on the one I found.

Oh my Goodness, where do you live that you find so much cool stuff? You know, I was considering doing both sometimes. Riding my bicycle with a light detector on my back and a pinpointer. Stop at places that could give you some coins or valuables, detect and leave for another location. It would be so much fun to do that. I still need a partner or a small group to do that. There are many places that are simply small or difficult to get by car, but on a bike you can virtually go any place. Thanks for sharing! Good eyes!

Hi cyber,

I used to do that when i was younger with fishing. The only lousy part is that when I ride I have the tights and shoes and then your all sweaty. However, I have a found a few spots while riding that you would miss if your driving a car. Going the slower speed you will see things that ordinarily you will not see. I want to hit this island near a river and who knows what's on it?

Nice finds, I'd imagine you could find even more if you were walking along the side of the road. Not moving as fast as on a bike. Some stuff what can ya do with it though? Cell phones, if the owner doesn't contact you then what? Is there anyway to clear it out and maybe sell it?

Hi cyber,

I used to do that when i was younger with fishing. The only lousy part is that when I ride I have the tights and shoes and then your all sweaty. However, I have a found a few spots while riding that you would miss if your driving a car. Going the slower speed you will see things that ordinarily you will not see. I want to hit this island near a river and who knows what's on it?

That's what I'm talking about and you can stop and go at will. No doubt I'm gonna give it a try with my BH Pioneer 505. I miss riding my bike a lot and there are very good spots in trails that one can stop and detect. :cool:

Yes Cyber, give it a try, a lot of detectors you can break down if you want or you could velcro the md to your top tube and ride, the cellphones I returned to the owners and the Ipod had no identification so I kept it and the blackberry the thing I can do is use the video camera part for vids etc. owner has not contacted me. Maybe I could sell the blackberry instead?

Last edited:
Yes Cyber, give it a try, a lot of detectors you can break down if you want or you could velcro the md to your top tube and ride, the cellphones I returned to the owners and the Ipod had no identification so I kept it and the blackberry the thing I can do is use the video camera part for vids etc. owner has not contacted me. Maybe I could sell the blackberry instead?

Owner of the Blackberry probably doesn't want it back if it was found on the road. Who knows why and how it ended up there, dropped or maybe tossed out of a car? How well does it work, because you have to figure the elements have gotten to it. I'd clear it out and try to sell it if you don't have much use for it.

If the owner has not contacted you, maybe he/she is not interested or changed the number. I think that it is up to you what to do with it. :?:

Yeah, it is a matter of securing your MD in a back pack and on you go for the hunt. I've also been considering a used tricycle bike as well to bring other stuff like a small cooler. That would be neat! :cool:

I'll tell you what the Blackberry works and the last call or history was back in 2010, I have no clue how it lasted outside over the winter. I doubt it was out there, possibly it was stolen, everything works on it but of course no connection, what could I get for it?

I have an aluminum Trek. I used to ride about twenty-five miles to visit my father who was in a care home. I found enough sockets to fill a gallon bucket. Pliers, screwdrivers, and all sorts of tools. A cell phone. A non-working i-pod (Had been out in the rain) and once two one hundred dollar bills along a curb. I thought it was just a dollar folded up until I got home. I'm always watching the ground. I even got in trouble in the Army for grabbing things off the ground during marches. When detecting, I spot most of my surface finds before I even swing the detector over them. I do it anyway to make sure I'm not seeing things.

Crack it and then put any sim card in and you can use it...or sell it.

Start here...
http://www.blackberrycrack.com/

Keeping your eyes open is the key......

Since I hunt mostly totlots, the most stuff I see is clothing....some school yards are full of coats! all kinds! I don't have any young kids but on Friday I found a jacket hanging on a fence that fits my son! nice jacket too, just put it in the washer/drier and he has a new one now for this fall.

I have decided I am going to start collecting all these coats and jackets, wash them up and then give them to Good Will in the fall when they have their coat drive! They give some kind of tax writeoff so could be worth a few bucks on my taxes as charitable donations!

HA HA Since this started I have always checked the pockets of all these coats for coins and such but never found a thing in them!

Wow Silver, that's better than me, I am like you I can spot money easily, yous ee the glint on the road and pow money, digger I have to get a sim card? I just can't delete the stuff? I dont have a cell anyway but maybe use it for film or sell it?

Back
Top Bottom