Ammo shortage

Thanks man. The Wrangler is fun, lacks the quality and refinement evident in the single six but the price reflects. That is a shame for sure SS on no place to shoot down there (SoCal?). I’m very lucky to have NF land about 20 min away to shoot on, and my backyard is fine for pellets, arrows and BB’s.

NorCal , San Mateo County .

His Highness ....... managed to find some ammo today ...:
I'm thinking he used his royal stature to acquire the booty. I was shooting the ship with my gun dealer this week. When I mentioned not having any ammo to give my grandson with the rifle I'm giving him. Kind of like giving a kid a gift on Christmas with no batteries in the house. He went in the back and came out with a box of 50 rounds! Sometimes us commoners score too.

:dingding::dingding:
I'm thinking he used his royal stature to acquire the booty. I was shooting the ship with my gun dealer this week. When I mentioned not having any ammo to give my grandson with the rifle I'm giving him. Kind of like giving a kid a gift on Christmas with no batteries in the house. He went in the back and came out with a box of 50 rounds! Sometimes us commoners score too.

:dingding: Royal Congratulations! It pleases KT to know your grandson may experience the pleasures of plinking!

KT never goes anywhere around town as Royalty. He finds there is too much cowtowing when He does, preferring to understand what the common people have to put up with. Thus, He learns the common experiences of living. How can one be a good and benevolent ruler of the Royal Realm without knowledge of how the Commoner survives each day? Thus His Majesty goes unaccompanied from the Castle into the Realm to gain experience. :yes::yes:

I own the scoped Gamo .177 air rifle, bought it to take care of those nasty little red squirrels.

One of the first long guns KT camo painted is His Royal Gamo .177 scope BoneHunter air rifle, purchased from Walmart before all this started up. It's a nice shooter. The Royal Grounds are overrun with grey squirrels, so there are plenty of targets around! :lol::lol:

While out yesterday, KT saw a bb machine gun! Did not note the brand, but the price was over $1100! :shock::shock: that's a bit too rich, even for KT!

Of course while at the Royal Pawn Shop, KT also looked through all the handgun cases, only one had any revolvers. KT has a American palm revolver, single action .22 mag, that He purchased 15 years ago and paid $125 for it used and picked up one box of shells for it. Saw one today in the revolver case, priced $259.99 used. And a High Point .22lr revolver for $179.00 plus tax....darn near bought it, may go back and get it as a .22 plinker. Only pistol they had less than $250!! But today KT saw no .22lr at any store! Until His Majesty sees some .22lr available back on the market, it can sit in that case! :lol::lol:

Well this was more pricey, but I had read online that a 22lr cylinder should drop in and work, and there is even an 8-shot aftermarket one. I really wanted a 1911, but the shelves are sparse with guns here, like 6 maybe in the pistol display. I do like Rugers and the older gun appealed.

Sorry man, didn’t recall your local. I grew up in Sunnyvale. I shot a bird or two off the telephone wires with my BB gun back then, that was awhile ago though! If you ever road trip up 80 past Sac I could show you a place to plink.

Thank you for your generous offer . :waytogo: I would probably never take you up on it though . Nowadays , I pretty much don't drive beyond my neighboring cities . Driving isn't as enjoyable to me anymore as it was , even up to a couple of years ago . Too many idiots out there driving like fools especially since the Marijuana laws have been relaxed .
I do have some great memories of all the hunting and plinking I have done over the years and I am thankful to have had those opportunities . Nowadays , I'm mainly metal detecting and on occasion doing a little fishing .
Once again thank you for your kind offer .

Well this was more pricey, but I had read online that a 22lr cylinder should drop in and work, and there is even an 8-shot aftermarket one. I really wanted a 1911, but the shelves are sparse with guns here, like 6 maybe in the pistol display. I do like Rugers and the older gun appealed.

Yes! KT has a double action stainless Ruger 6-shooter in .357 cal, so when shooting it He can use the wadcutter .38s He reloaded a few years back. Love it and so much less recoil than when popping off those .357s! Got a nice leather holster for it also. His Majesty really likes the Western style six shooters.

Yes, it will, KT used to see those .22 cylinders at local gun shows, but unfortunately KT never picked up one. At one time the factory has a purchase pack that included both cylinders with the gun in a single purchase.:D:D

In the local pawnshop, a couple of cases are full of 9mm, but very little 9mm ammo, which explains why the guns are not selling. That and the prices...hand guns KT used to see at $450-$500 are now $750-$850.

Ammo here is generally "available", but at 3X's the normal price. Occasionally some places that AREN'T jacking up the prices get some in, but I don't happen to be at those stores at the right time.

That's OK though, I have a minimum of 650 rounds (.38 special) for all of my weapons and up to 6500 rounds (.22 LR) so I'm good for now, I just won't go shooting very often, as I can't realistically replace the ammo.

Guns themselves are pretty much available though, and some places even have them at "regular" prices.

Well, KT was out and about in the Royal Chariot again today. Stopped by the Royal Pawn Shoppe and purchased two more boxes of 00 buck, this time to store with the 12 gauge Chariot gun...the Royal Survival Gun. Have some no. 4 shot for it, but the 00 buck could take down a deer in a survival situation, and any 2-legged deer that try and hassle KT.

Saw a bb machine gun, CO2 powered, price $249.95. Fire rate....1000 bbs/minute! Told the owner, I could not afford to keep that thing in bbs! He said, why they are pretty cheap.....Ha ha. Saw an off brand .22 revolver new for $179.00, but they only had 1 50 round box of .22lr for...get this...$24.00. :shock::shock: Salesman weakly said, But it is CCI.....Told him I was there to get more 00 buck for my 12 gauge. He looked relieved that the King did not jab at him on that price! :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Well, KT was out and about in the Royal Chariot again today. Stopped by the Royal Pawn Shoppe and purchased two more boxes of 00 buck, this time to store with the 12 gauge Chariot gun...the Royal Survival Gun. Have some no. 4 shot for it, but the 00 buck could take down a deer in a survival situation, and any 2-legged deer that try and hassle KT.

Saw a bb machine gun, CO2 powered, price $249.95. Fire rate....1000 bbs/minute! Told the owner, I could not afford to keep that thing in bbs! He said, why they are pretty cheap.....Ha ha. Saw an off brand .22 revolver new for $179.00, but they only had 1 50 round box of .22lr for...get this...$24.00. :shock::shock: Salesman weakly said, But it is CCI.....Told him I was there to get more 00 buck for my 12 gauge. He looked relieved that the King did not jab at him on that price! :laughing::laughing::laughing:

LOL So since it's CCI, it's only 5 times what it should cost...

You can still get black powder but the substitute's have a lot of advantages.

I disagree about the substitutes. There good for a modern inline but the lock time on a flintlock is ridiculous. Also it's even more corrosive than regular black powder. It did a number on my brass side plate when the water I was cleaning the barrel with got on it for only a few minutes.

Since modern ammo and primers are so hard to come by I've been saving what I have in stock and doing my plinking with my flintlock.

I have maybe 10k rounds of 22lr and 1500 12ga which isn't bad. Only a few hundred .223, .38, .357 and 9mm which only amounts to a few hours in the sand pits. My 30.06 and 7.62x54r are going to be collecting dust for a while though.

I have a few hundred pounds of wheel weights to cast for my pistols but it doesn't help much since I'm down to a couple k of primers. I do have enough lead shot and 209 primers to keep the shotguns fed for a while. Again, nothing to help with the rifles there either.

Last edited:
I disagree about the substitutes. There good for a modern inline but the lock time on a flintlock is ridiculous. Also it's even more corrosive than regular black powder. It did a number on my brass side plate when the water I was cleaning the barrel with got on it for only a few minutes. .......

Yes there are pros and cons to just about everything and I don't shoot a flintlock.
Here is a good write up although dated by Randy Wakeman.
https://www.chuckhawks.com/blackpowder_roundup_2010.htm

If you live in the PNW, I've had some recent luck buying and trading ammo using the classifieds at NorthwestFirearms.com.

Back
Top Bottom