Help ID my copper please

imukdiver

Ok, it's toasty but I'd love to know what this copper is. It was found today at a 1818 house. The back is toast and smooth, the bust is the only thing identifiable. Was thinking it was a KG3 bust the profile doesn't look right. Any ideas anybody ?

Attachments

• IMG_2611.JPG
    IMG_2611.JPG
    111 KB · Views: 461
Probably not a KGIII.
I found one last year and it is different:D

Attachments

• 9-30-16 KG3 clean obv.jpg
    9-30-16 KG3 clean obv.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 432
It looks like a King George III. The one Matmit posted is a newer variety. There are also tons of circulating counterfeits that don't exactly match a genuine piece. They probably actually outnumber the genuine coins.

yep.. First coin 1770-1775 many counterfeits, 2nd coin 1806 or 1807, very few counterfeits.

Most likely a KG III as has been said, although my other guess was a France Louis XV - if you look right in front of the forehead/bridge of the nose on yours you will see what looks like II, which I'm guessing is actually 'III" and the third is worn down, or outside chance its a 'D' for the Louis, hard to say from the photo - either way, most likely a 1770 era copper... Nice!

Attachments

• george.jpg
    george.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 323
  • louis.jpg
    louis.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 337
Thanks for all the info guys. Since I've posted that one I've found 2 more in the same yard and both of those are counterfeits for sure. The one is even made of pewter, it's that bad.

Attachments

• IMG_2614.JPG
    IMG_2614.JPG
    104 KB · Views: 214
you can see the stars by my finger then barely make out the outline of a matron head.

I have also found a holed pewter 'copper' before, but was never able to make out enough on it to figure out what it used to be. They did used to make counterfeit V nickels out of lead and then gold plate them to try to pass them off as a $5 gold piece... but this is probably older... I have researched large pewter coins and never gotten too far...

Still wondering whats the point of making a counterfeit out of copper. I weighs to much, it sounds bad when you drop it, and it's not even the right color.:?:

Still wondering whats the point of making a counterfeit out of copper. I weighs to much, it sounds bad when you drop it, and it's not even the right color.:?:

They probably mixed cheaper metal with the copper, and when first made it likely was the right color.

Back
Top Bottom