Great new formula for cleaning clad in my tumbler...however...

i think its the coins condition themselves sometimes.. as in what kind of crud is on them. our red clay dirty ones are tough to clean. zincs often are swiss cheese rotten. gravel and ammonia work best but get them out and rinse. i always seem to miss a zinc in the clad but they still fit a coin roll and the bank takes them. i tell my teller i know--These need to go to the mint! holey zincs.. my tax money made them, and they fit in the rolls just fine. good coins i mark for her to use. need to know your regular teller.. sweet thangs they are! no fees there. i have tried clr, vinegar and salt, lemon juice, etc... but ammonia seems to work the best with gravel. i mixed something one time and it popped the lid off my tumbler barrel lol. i just get them clean enough to roll.

i try all the things you guys say on common clad... aint gonna hurt nuttin....

In my experience CLR works best with zincs if used properly. I might try ammonia if I can find out where to get it.

I have been cleaning up my pennies and experimented with using lemon juice and aquarium gravel. Tumbled them for about 45 minutes and they came out nice and bright.
Tried to use vinegar and salt and it just eats the the pennies too much.
Was using vinegar and salt and aquarium gravel for my clad and they came out clean at first. But my quarters and dimes turned dark from the acid after they dried.
Going to try the lemon juice on my clad next. Hope they come out like my pennies.
Have you guys run into your clad turning dark?

I used the salt and vinegar method of cleaning clad for many years and it worked great. Recently I started to use liquid bowl cleaner instead of the salt/vinegar to clean the clad and it works very well too. Either way, you don't have to tumble the coins for hours on end.

Back
Top Bottom