XP Deus 1 - Shallow/Cherry Picking Program Ideas

rreahard

Elite Member
Calling all XP Deus 1 Gurus!

So I know this is the opposite of what most people want to get from their detectors, i.e. more depth.

But here's my idea: There's an older baseball field near me that I want to detect. I have not done any detecting there yet so I don't know how trashy the site is, but I'm expecting a good bit of trash and iron since the park has been there since the 1930s from what I can tell from my online research. There may have also been an older homesite in the area hence why I'm expecting iron. I have no idea if the field has been detected in the past, but I'm going to assume it has.

I'd like to approach this site a little differently than the usual "go in and dig everything" philosophy. I'd like to systematically detect the field from the surface down. First pass would be cherry picking high conductors and cleaning up some shallow trash. Later passes I'd like to gradually increase depth until I'm maxing out depth on the machine.

I'm still learning the Deus so I think this would be a good educational experience as well. I will be using the Deus 1 with the 9x5 HF Elliptical coil.

Here's what I'm thinking as far as program/settings.

-Start with Basic 1 and modify from there. Are there any programs that are inherently "shallower" than others?

-Discrimination: Maybe run as high as 40-50? I know this will eliminate some gold and other desirables, but those can be recovered with later passes. Again, first passes would be cherry picking high conductors, shallow trash, modern coins, etc. Are there any other drawbacks of running discrimination that high?

-Full tones? Is there any benefit to running in full tones with that much discrimination?

-Sensitivity: I'm thinking going down to around 60-70? Lowering sensitivity will effectively decrease depth, right? What else would I be losing by going that low? How low can I go?

-Reactivity: 3 or 4. I've heard in addition to increasing separation and recovery speed, a higher reactivity will slightly decrease depth. Is that correct?

-Audio Response: 3 or 4, lower?. This should give a good indication of target depth and may even eliminate some deeper or smaller targets, right? What are the cons of running a lower audio response?

-Frequency: 14 or 28khz? From my understanding, running at a higher frequency may also slightly decrease depth. Should I go as high as 74khz on the HF Elliptical coil?

Thoughts? What other settings could I tweak to effectively decrease depth?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
I use the xp deus with the hf 9x5 coil only. I know that it is not the deepest coil out there, but I have found things at parks in other colored soils where I can put the mi-6 pin pointer completely into the hole I just dug and not see it.
I run at 15 khz, disc at 35,sen between 80 to 95 depending on area,iron vol at 5, notch at 000. Depending on your area you might run it a little different. But I love finding coins on end, standing straight on end that others have missed with that hf 9x5 coil , or coins right next to iron.

I use the #9 Hot program at default freq Tot Lots 54 fields 17 Do Not pass those iron grunts I have plenty of smashed Gold rings and pendents

Agree with the hot program. Start with sensitivity at 90 and and reactivity at 4 then go up in sensitivity and down with reactivity in subsequent passes. Remember the Deus is a fast machine to begin with.

Back
Top Bottom