• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Another beginner question

southforty

My husband and I are very new to detecting. We are interested in getting one or two metal detectors to look for relics on archeological sites, and to do some looking for relics and coins etc on our own. We are not sure of a price range but want something that will do the job, be of good quality and let us learn with it. We have looked at a few ads on craigslist but wouldn't know how to test them to see if they are really good.

We really will appreciate your suggestions.

Thank you
Diane

The Tesoro Compadre is a good detector all around in my opinion, but Ford/Chevy. I am going to order my wife one, I have one and a couple of others, but use it the most. joe

Figuring out a price range will be the key factor. If you have a budget of $1000 for two detectors ($500 each) people will make different recommendations then if you only have a budget of $500.00 total. I would recommend saving money in your budget for a good pro pointer. I have the original Garrett PP and the new Garrett carrot. I can recommend both. The original Garretts can now be found used in the $60.00 range.

Give us a ball park idea about what you thought you might be able to spend.

Price of a detector,,,can drive performance somewhat.
Not all detectors are created equal,,,even if they cost the same.

Some are better for coins,,,some are better for relics.

Some are lighter and heavier than others.

Some are weatherproof,,,some are waterproof, and a lot neither.

Some are deeper than others.

Some work better in areas with more nails and iron than others.

Some have longer warranty periods than others

Some have better track records for durability and working.

Some have fewer additional coil offerings.

Some are more simpler to operate.

Some have bigger display read outs.

You have a lot of choices,,,determine your budget,,,,then work from there.

Hope this info helps.

If you've got the coin, the Minelab 3030 or the Fisher F70 are tough to beat. Note: It's likely neither are wonderful beginner detectors but then again, they are the ones that are going to find what you're looking for.

Minelab CTX 3030 (completely waterproof)

Fisher F70 (not waterproof but very powerful)

More on the F70 since Fisher's site is lacking. :D

While it may be tempting to get 2 of the exact same detectors for each of you, you might want to go a different route. There are many detectors suited better for different environments, and some that are specifically limited in what type of territory they can perform in (water, salt beaches, land). This is very much a hobby you can grow with, and not really a 1 detector can do it all. So maybe look at getting beginner/moderate type detector for one of you, and maybe the other a straight moderate more advanced unit. Then you can both learn each detector and not both be stuck with the exact same beginner units if and when you would like to advance if you really keep interest in the hobby.

Last edited:
My husband and I are very new to detecting. We are interested in getting one or two metal detectors to look for relics on archeological sites, and to do some looking for relics and coins etc on our own. We are not sure of a price range but want something that will do the job, be of good quality and let us learn with it. We have looked at a few ads on craigslist but wouldn't know how to test them to see if they are really good.

We really will appreciate your suggestions.

Thank you
Diane

I hope your an archeologist if not you could end up on a lot of trouble.

Really if you buy from a big name company like whites, Garrett, mine lab fisher, bounty, they all work . The real concern is how willing are you to learn how to operate it.

Another thing you can do is click on the sponsors link on the top of the page and call them up. I've dealt with a number of them in the past and they know their stuff when it comes to detectors. Give them the price range you have in mind, what you're looking for and your location and they should be able to answer most if not all questions you may have. Most of them will beat any advertised prices as well unless restricted by the manufacturer. Good luck. Fair warning though. Once you get hooked you better hire a chauffeur since driving can become hazardous. You'll find yourself spending more time staring into the fields you pass speculating at what buried there and less time watching the semi truck coming at you head on when you drifted into the other lane.

Last edited:
Thanks for the good suggestions

We are only very amateur archeologists - we volunteer for Passport-in-Time and will soon start working with a local archeological site protection organization. We would like to do more authorized digs later but realize we need to develop metal detecting skills before we get selected for the projects we want to work on. Very rewarding experience wise but not financially. Such is life. I will try to contact some of the sponsors. Thanks for pointing out the list of sponsors link. I will also look at some of the metal detectors you suggested. A lot for us to learn. We really appreciate your recommendations.

Used Minelab Xterra 705..more features than anything else in its price range,goes deep on coins,best discrimination around,tones are easily identifiable,backlight,noise cancell,prospect mode,true all metal mode,big easy to read display,feather light,pistol grip,pinpoint sizing,manual ground balance or ground tracking,depth meter,volume control,multi frequency,,and the list could go on for awhile..that machine is the best bang for the buck and has been for a long time.The price it goes for used,,unreal.

While it may be tempting to get 2 of the exact same detectors for each of you, you might want to go a different route. There are many detectors suited better for different environments, and some that are specifically limited in what type of territory they can perform in (water, salt beaches, land). This is very much a hobby you can grow with, and not really a 1 detector can do it all. So maybe look at getting beginner/moderate type detector for one of you, and maybe the other a straight moderate more advanced unit. Then you can both learn each detector and not both be stuck with the exact same beginner units if and when you would like to advance if you really keep interest in the hobby.

I really wouldn't consider the CTX a beginners first choice. It's like learning to drive in a Lamborghini. :laughing:

I really wouldn't consider the CTX a beginners first choice. It's like learning to drive in a Lamborghini. :laughing:

I could teach a level headed person, in person how to run a CTX,,in two,,2 hour sessions. Get them up and running,,where they could be making some deeper finds,,maybe not the deepest the detector is capable of but say 9" deep.
As long as their ground is not hot with minerals.

It is a lot harder to read in places like this,,to further your skills and knowledge vs talking and getting instructions from someone in person.

Even a person who has never detected before,,remember key word level headed (at least average IQ maybe).

Actually,,I have done this before with a gent,,,so it can be done. (Etrac was taught).

Actually the FBS units like etrac and CTX are the easiest,,,the other fbs harder to teach due to ID.

Much easier to teach these 2 than a whole lot of other Vlf detectors.

No ground balance,,,pattern is already loaded,,,just need to be able to recognize iron false,,and where the good stuff comes in and how it sounds.
Basically on the right side of screen.p,,except for nickels.

I wouldn't recommend it for a beginner either. There is a new guy in the main forum who is debating on getting one. I guess if you're willing to work on it hard enough to fully learn it, then it's possible to start with. That sounds like too much work though right out of the box and many of us actually just want to enjoy the hobby instead of another full time job.

I'd piss myself just figuring out the GPS feature. :laughing:

Wow so much to learn

Based on all of this information - we realized we needed to think more about it and develop some better requirements and understanding - here it is

My husband and I are interested in using metal detectors to:
- help with archeological digs
- look for coins, jewlery in parks
- look for gold and other metals (we live in Fairplay Colorado, near the Sacramento Creek, there is a new gold mine going in a few miles from us, several tv programs about gold mining have been done in our town-including another one filming in 4 weeks). Would this be ground with lots of minerals - is it possible to find gold with a metal detector. There is gold panning done here.

We would like to get get equipment that will let us do the archeological work well. If we get on a team to do metal detecting work on a site we want to have the equipment and learn the skills to do a good job doing the work. We don't want to take up spots on the archeological project team and not be able to do the work.

Don't have any idea of how profitable looking for gold would be but wouldn't want to do that poorly either.

We are both good with technology and patient learners.

Our budget is a little flexible. It would be nice to have two good quality metal detectors. Maybe 600 dollars - maybe a thousand dollars. We are retired but work part-time. We can work a few more hours if we need to.

Thanks again for all of the great information.

My husband and I are interested in using metal detectors to:
- help with archeological digs
- look for coins, jewlery in parks
- look for gold and other metals

There are three types of detectors typically used in the hobby sector. Single-frequency VLF, Multi-frequency VLF and Pulse Induction. Then there are features that add cost but make them easier to use. The most common of those being Ground-balance and waterproof.

Ground balance will enable you to tune the detector to the minerals in the ground. In doing so, you will optmize the sensitivity to small objects and maximize depth. It will also help you avoid false signals, ie., the detector signaling when there isn't anything there. Some detectors do not have any GB, some have pre-programmed settings, some have manual settings, and some have auto. So you'll pay more for a detector that has auto, but this makes it much easier to use as ground conditions often change.

Waterproof will enable you to hunt in the rain, or actually submerge the entire detector to varying depths.

VLF detectors vs. PI. - VLF enables you to discriminate unwanted targets. consider going to an area riddled with nails but also containing coins. You may be able to discriminate the nails and just hunt the coins by using the VLF discrimination settings. In contrast, the PI lacks effective discrimination (you have to dig every beep); however, it rarely is affected by mineralized soil or conductive salt (salt water beaches).

Single-frequency vs. Multi frequency. - SF detectors emit & recieve one signal while MF detectors emit & receive multiple signals simultaneously. In stable soils, they both work great and have marginal differences at best. The real advantage of MF detectors is when you get in an area with mineral deposits or salt water. In such areas, SF detectors (even with beach software settings) have to turn down their sensitivity to compensate for the conditions whereas MF detectors typically are not affected. Therefore, in such conditions, a MF detector may have greater depth and sensitivity to smaller mass objects.

Depth. (IMO) if you are in stable soils and compare most any VLF detector to another that has the same size coil, you will likely be within 5% of each other. So buy a bigger coil and gain more depth.

So now take that information and look up the specs on the detector that interests you. Also keep in mind, that all detectors have a slight learning curve. If you read the manual and watch a few youtube videos, you'll get the hang of it in no time. My personal favorite is a CTX. Our 80 year old aunt uses it, as does our 6 and 8 year olds. Because it is one of the most competent machines made, it avoids false signals and finds items some detectors skip over. That means the family actually has fun and enjoys the hobby.

Last edited:
Maybe look at an AT Gold for the gold prospecting. That's a specific niche and requires a little more expensive specialized detector to hit those tiny gold flakes. Sounds like your area (Colorado) will be heavily mineralized too, so that's tough.

As for a second detector mainly for relics, I'd have to say the Deus, but those two together blow way over your budget considering tools like pinpointers, etc. Those would last you years though with room to grow, very dependable and pretty advanced detectors.

Maybe just an AT Gold and an AT Pro combo could probably clean up there really good. More toward your price range, interchangable coils, but different frequencies to cover a little larger spectrum.

The kind of hunting you're wanting to do is pretty advanced as far as diversity, but is restricted by your budget especially with trying to get 2 capable detectors out of it. Just a little tough to make the pieces fit.

Hey SouthForty....I am sure you are overwhelmed by the vast amount of info...saying, What most of us rabid addicts KNOW and can do with a rig has been hard earned In Field...Lessons and experience gained through 100's of thousands of targets pulled in all weather and situations...

This kind of dirt metal 'Tribal Knowledge' simply cannot be gained quickly and easily, no matter how much money you have for gear, or a crash course on a specific product....amongst other things, This is an Audio Sport! Ear tone development takes a lot of time and commitment! You cannot have an attuned ear just by showing up and buying the 'right' gear!..Can you tell a nickel or a gold coin/nugget from a .22 slug or a pulltab? A friggin forged square nail from a Home Depot 16d? So forget about all that...

So You want to get on an archie crew as the detecting expert? You want to hunt for metal either as a pasttime or some sort of official dig?? Starting from scratch with no experience or nothing? Wow...really tough sledding here...!

Most any of us 'hobbiests' with a few years behind a coil would be light years beyond even a well seasoned official Archie...We are simply so rabid about dirt metal, keyed in on the travel patterns and habits of people, we dream about it, research, hunt the weather patterns etc...theres just so many other issues in this Sport besides gear and inclination......Nobody can hold a candle to us unless they are so inclined...

So get some basic introductory gear and hunt some totlots for a few years?...and I mean RABIDLY! Like super early in the dark, in all weather, year round...You will see what the dirt teaches you about Human travel patterns..In a way, hunting park and schoolyard totters is a modern form of archeology...

We track People..you gotta get a feel for this Sport or its just a waste of time...and, you gotta be RABID about it!...really hooked! Not just for giggles!...In this Sport, like a Primal hunter, good intentions and effort dont feed the village..you gotta get results fast and often to be worth a damn to anybody......

To me, it sounds like you guys just want to dick around as a side hobby, have a Summertime adventure to talk about to your friends..."Hey! I was on a dig! I found a horse shoe nail and got this whole area listed as a protected site!"

Get some gear like we did, get involved in the Sport, research, go find your own stuff or stop wasting our time....Please prove me wrong....I hate to be so brusque, but I bet you dont even know what a totlot is, or have ever kicked a chip and knocked down a 10kyr...You gotta pay your dues in this Sport, and it takes time in field behind the coil...just no other way around it...or you will look like a complete idiot and waste everyones time....

However, I wish you the best, I am willing to sell you guys a pair of a CTX's with corresponding Sampsons...I might throw in a carrot and a hat and a finds pouch even to get you started...:laughing:...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom