• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Bob Seger is hanging it up...

DIGGER27

In Memory Of
Alabama, by way of Detroit, Tampa Bay, Alabama and
Touring, anyway.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/bob-seger-hangs-guitar-half-century-career-141225324.html

Sounds like it is because of a physical issue.

So far his announced final tour locations ain't coming anywhere near me but that's ok, I was lucky enough to see him at his prime back in the early 70's several times when he was just "ours"...a treasure pretty much not known much outside the midwest.
Eventually he broke out after that live Live Bullet album at Cobo Hall and then that truck commercial eventually cemented his place in history.:lol:

If you lived in the suburbs of Detroit or anywhere near there back then there were a few things that you just...did.
You ate Coney Island hot dogs.
You visited the Franklin Cider Mill in the fall for cider and donuts
You went to Tiger games
You went swimming or boating at Kensington Lake
And you tried to get in to see Bob Seger play no matter where he played or who he played with.

I saw him at the Michigan Palace before he got super famous, we sat in the parking lot and listened to him at Pine Knob amphitheatre when we couldn't get tickets, I watched him at the Masonic Temple, I also saw him in concert at at least one if not a couple of other venues that my smoked up foggy brain can't recall at this point.
He never played for less than two hours at any concert in Michigan, most times they went closer to three because he appreciated where he came from and how his fans supported him in those early days.
There was no such thing as a bad Seger concert...ever.
He gave 110% every time he was onstage.

I still have his albums...
Ramblin' Gamblin' Man
Smokin' OP's
Back in 72
Seven
Beautiful Loser...and of course Live Bullet.
And I mean albums, not CD's.

The early songs were the greatest ones IMO, I still listen to the songs from those albums to this day.

So the old warhorse is retiring from touring, he probably has about a million miles under his belt so that's ok.
I consider myself lucky and blessed to have been there supporting him in the old days.
Had a ton of fun doing it, too.

If you lived in the suburbs of Detroit or anywhere near there back then there were a few things that you just...did.
You ate Coney Island hot dogs.
You visited the Franklin Cider Mill in the fall for cider and donuts
You went to Tiger games
You went swimming or boating at Kensington Lake
And you tried to get in to see Bob Seger play no matter where he played or who he played with.

I saw him at the Michigan Palace before he got super famous,
I did all of those things. I actually saw him playing much smaller venues earlier than that, like the Ford Ice Arena in Livonia back when Livonia Youth Incorporated was sponsoring summer concerts.
His bass player (Butch Campbell) married the sister of one of my close friends.

I also worked at the Michigan Palace back in the day. A friend of mine owned it before Steve Glance got involved.

Yea, we all did if you were a real Michigander.
He played anywhere and everywhere in the early days, I remember there was a contest where the high school that sent in the most Wrigley gum wrappers got him to play at their high school prom.

Lots of history this guy and Detroit, the suburbs, the state of Michigan, Ohio and most of the Midwest entwined with this guy.
He was championed by Rosalie Trombley, legendary program director at the powerhouse station CKLW in Windsor.
He immortalized her in the song Rosalie.
https://www.billboard.com/articles/...-radio-pioneer-bob-seger-guess-who-elton-john

That station's signal covered several states in the US and at least four provinces in Canada and if you listened to it chances are you became a Seger fan somewhere along the way.

I find it funny how the rest of the country embraced him from 1976 on and it seemed like most just considered him a new act just showing up out of nowhere.
We knew better, we had this guy singing for us all over town for 15 years before that.

He was long before my time, but boy do I love his music. Night moves is a fantastic song, along with many others. My generation ruined music :laughing: not sure if he's playing out this way, but I would most definitely check out his last tour.

There was no better song lyrics like "Old time rock and roll." If you don't believe that, then you ain't lived long enough.

Thanks Sharpshooter I'm enjoying this song right now ! An incredible song that will remain one of my favorites .

You are welcome.

Two very nice songs.
A talented gent. Whose music tells a story.

I have listened to his music loads over the years.

This subsection of this forum is healthy for me. Get away from detecting and see what folks other interest are. I love it.

We just called it Kensington...but of course you are correct.
In an earlier life I lived about 5mi from there.

Did you ever check out any of the outdoor concerts in Plymouth Township? The Township bought an old farm, and there was a bandshell set up in an old field that had a hill in front of it kind of like an amphitheater. Most of the performers were local, but occasionally some big name locals would turn up.......like Alice for instance. Anyway, I used to walk there from my house.

The reason I bring this up is because we've done so much of the same things in the same places, that I'm thinking that we must have crossed paths at some point.:cool:

In an earlier life I lived about 5mi from there.

Did you ever check out any of the outdoor concerts in Plymouth Township? The Township bought an old farm, and there was a bandshell set up in an old field that had a hill in front of it kind of like an amphitheater. Most of the performers were local, but occasionally some big name locals would turn up.......like Alice for instance. Anyway, I used to walk there from my house.

The reason I bring this up is because we've done so much of the same things in the same places, that I'm thinking that we must have crossed paths at some point.:cool:

We probably did cross paths, several times.
Of course I would have been hard to recognize back then...I had a lot less weight and a lot more hair. :D

yep, one of the greats!
Real solid American Rock and Roll.
Sad, no one is producing good rock anymore. Last decent rock band was RHCP.

Now I listen to country Music which is the only decent good music now and fun to listen to. Forget rap !!!!, RB !!!! and current pop which all sounds the same with the singers using that tone vocalizer device. No real talent on the scene in pop music. Justin B? hah what a joke.

yep, one of the greats!
Real solid American Rock and Roll.
Sad, no one is producing good rock anymore. Last decent rock band was RHCP.

Now I listen to country Music which is the only decent good music now and fun to listen to. Forget rap !!!!, RB !!!! and current pop which all sounds the same with the singers using that tone vocalizer device. No real talent on the scene in pop music. Justin B? hah what a joke.
It’s odd, I can listen to the classic country from the late sixties and into the seventies (mom was a fan) even tho one of my first albums was Bob Seger-Night Moves, but this new country (the last 40 years lol) is like nails on a chalkboard to me. It all sounds the same! I told my wife, from Tennessee, that it seems anyone from the south that has that ‘twang’ can become a country singer!

So, I revert back to the music that I liked in the seventies, including the metal of the eighties, even tho I’m approaching sixty years old.

Last decent rock band? Today’s Greta Van Fleet, kids fresh out of high school selling out shows all over the world.

Never got to see him perform live but he's one of my all time favorite singers. He has so many GREAT songs I couldn't begin to pick a favorite but "Turn The Page" is right up there with the best......

Back
Top Bottom