Target Selection Advice

Call Me V

Hopefully I can write this up in a way that makes sense. Last weekend/earlier this week I had the chance to search a really old yard. I really listened for the deep signals, but sometimes I felt like such a beginner. Even two years into hunting I'm still a relative beginner.

I always wondered what some of you more experienced hunters do when you come across a signal that's deep and sounds... ok... from one direction but not from another. Do you pass it by? Do you dig?

And a second question, what happens when you swing your coil over a spot, get a hit in one direction but not the other, change angles, once again get a spotty hit, and then the target disappears altogether and you can't get a signal regardless of what direction you're swinging from? Stupid question, but does the detector kind change its mind on the validity of the target? :?::?:

Anyhow, on a short break from work and thought I'd ask.

Happens to all of us V

I do find that usually when it is deep and sounds somewhat high on one side an not the other or mysteriously disappears It is probably an old nail, possibly bent. I would go into all metal and see if you are hitting Iron.

Worse case take a moment and dig.

Yes, if disappears probably smallish rusty thing and I don't dig.
If different in another direction and weak but repeats on each direction I dig.
Last one like that was a deep 14K gold and diamond ring that was plow bent in a farm field.

However, most times it is just a piece of can slaw or other junk.

detectorben on this forum recently posted a video using an Equinox on deep targets. I could repeat what has already been said here and add some more but his video is excellent. You can find it under the How To Use Your Metal Detector - Finding deep coins with Minelab Equinox.

good luck V
Jeff

I dig anything that gives a consistent signal, even if it’s only in one direction. Those one direction hits can be good targets co-located with iron. On a non-ferrous target, the signal should repeat every time (even if only in one direction) as long as your coil location and swing speed remain the same.
Falsing signal tones seem to be hit or miss IMHO. Sort of like a wandering inconsistent signal. I can usually pass over those pretty easily but I still get fooled occasionally. For me, the old saying holds true: When in doubt, dig it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Usually the dig-it-all people are the ones with the stellar finds. As mentioned there could be a desirable coin near some iron that may affect the signal. Good luck!

For the time being, you should probably dig them so that you can get a feel for what your detector is telling you. After that you can decide whether to dig or not.

detectorben on this forum recently posted a video using an Equinox on deep targets. I could repeat what has already been said here and add some more but his video is excellent. You can find it under the How To Use Your Metal Detector - Finding deep coins with Minelab Equinox.

good luck V
Jeff

^^^^This

Really great video. Here's the link:

https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=283168

What you describe sounds like falsing iron signals. Maddening! Experience digging a lot of these signals helps. You get an idea of which ones are probably false signal iron nails, wire, etc., and the ones that might be something else. Good question, but there's no single answer.

The Equinox 600 and 800 can be a challenge especially coming from using the AT Pro which I did. I have had my 800 since March 2018 and it was a tough transition from the AT Pro.

Reading all three books on the Equinox series by Clive Clynick help me a lot understanding more about metal detecting and metal detecting with the Equinox.

Even today deep signals can be confusing. DetectorBen has a good recent post about a video about deep signals when using the Equinox.

https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=283168

Basically on deep coin signals don't expect to hear a nice clean crisp audio and steady numbers like 22,23. You will hear partial faint signals with numbers bouncing around like 32,33 20, 19. There are many reasons for this some even I don't under stand. And cross swings might even produce strangers numbers and audio or none at all. Some say if you get any portion of a coin audio and TID number in the coin range no mater how fleeting, dig it if it is deep. But be prepared for bent tails to show up.

This was a lot of amazing feedback and I'm truly grateful for it. It kind of gives me some validation to the what I was thinking. Thank you all!

Back
Top Bottom