Eight years and a first for me

Wom 27

Elite Member
I’ve never found a buffalo nickel with a readable date. As you can see, the soil is kinda rough on coins around here. Like yesterday with my 1917 dime ( not 1916) the gods had their joke with me. I looked up 1916 buffalo and the headline on the first web site was “ 1916 Buffalo worth a ton of money “ of course I opened it up and that’s only if it’s a double strike. Whatever that is. Oh well, got me again ! :lol:

Attachments

• 537BFFFA-C545-4BDE-9B74-3B24AB45241E.jpeg
    537BFFFA-C545-4BDE-9B74-3B24AB45241E.jpeg
    35.6 KB · Views: 316
Well, Royal Congrats on a readable older Buffalo nick, the only one KT ever found was a 38 holed that had apparently been on a kid's charm bracelet, since it was recovered in an elementary school totlot! But KT was still happy to get it!:lol::lol:

Congratulations on the find.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

.....I looked up 1916 buffalo and the headline on the first web site was “ 1916 Buffalo worth a ton of money “.....

There's a stupid amount of false information/advertisements regarding coin values on the internet. Phony listings on ebay, phony youtube videos, phony ads that appear at the top of search results.

COMPLETED sales on Ebay are a pretty good indication if there are enough of them in similar condition and you are sure you're not overlooking a rare variation or error.

Nice! I missed out on a Buffalo nickel last year. I hunted close by it. Took a friend to the spot a couple weeks ago, actually looking for older stuff, and he swings the coil over a Buffalo and a Merc drop. I was 10’ away from it last fall and ten feet away when we were detecting! Those Buffalo nickels are hard to find here. I’ve actually found more seated coins than Buffalo nickels. The Buffalo nickels are one of my favorite coin designs!

Beware of cleaning!

there are numerous hacks to cleaning them. i have tried on worn out buffs with really no value-- a nickel. i was able to raise some dates with the concentrated vinegar peroxide method, but left the coins very frosty. a friend suggested just suspending the coin date only by a wire and clip in the solution. that works but leaves like a tan line. They make a solution called Nick-o-lene spelling? that works. an acid etch. i knew none of mine were three legs or errors. and none came out a key date. still faint to read i still need a loop on several. ruined..yaaaaa... ruined to begin with....yaaa... oh well.

PS the rusty one never did clean real good but suprisingly had a date.

congrats. that is one of my Favorites.

Back
Top Bottom