• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

What is Your Reason for Metal Detecting

Michaeltime

Elite Member
I read post where they hate all the zinc pennies. I am not fond of them either but will dig them and cash them in for batteries.

I am in it for the time to myself and finding things of interest lost by others. Who but someone metal detecting would show off a dog tag they found or a old AAA key chain flob for returning lost keys, that is out dated. I like my junk ring collection , some are pretty solid rings. I am mainly in for finding coins to add to my collection of old coins but I know I am about the only one interested in them when it comes right down to it. I still love going out and finding things and will do it as long as I can. I am 62 and since getting back into it my condition of health is much better, not that I was that bad off before getting back into it, but getting in and out of the car is much easier now , I have more endurance than before. Maybe it will keep me around longer, unless I meet that one property owner who hates people metal detecting their curb strip that much. LOL But maybe I can handle them better because of better health than someone sitting on the couch all day watching TV.
M6 Mike

Im in it also to get away from everything, I like the fresh air, I enjoy finding history and learning about items I find and the area Im in. Also having that feeling of you never know what your going to dig up! Plus I make pretty good money as a bonus from silver and gold :D

I just love the thrill of the "snoop", always have. As a kid I was looking for bugs and critters, well.... I still do! I raised my kids to be on the look for interesting things in the woods, on the beach, in the water, in there messy room!! :lol:
I used to save animal bones, abandoned bird nests, make hanging mobiles out of big beetle bugs, keep a shark tooth collection, seashells ,ect...Then when I moved to this area, the snooping expanded to finding interesting plants on my hikes. I'm not into antiques or coin collecting at all. I've always wanted a MD since I was in my 20's. Now at 53, it hit me that I never did get around to getting one, I made it a point to start my research and buy one asap. ooohhh, all of the wasted years of fun I could have had!!!! :lol:

Gold and silver, or silver and gold. Maybe some clad I can exhange for more silver. If I find any good relics, then sell them for more silver and gold.

I have always wanted to MD, but family came first, which is kind of silly since MD can bring a family together, yet there was always clothes, food, and sport bills to be paid..
I finally started after years of finding wheaties, silver, marbles and artifacts while gardening, only to find clad once I got my first MD.. go figure.
I am enjoying the fresh air, learning about history, people and exercise and even told a lottery ticket addict that chuckled at me for "wasting" my money on a md, that my tiny little machine is like buying $150. worth of lottery tickets because you never know if you will hit that money pot, it's a gamble. But this is soo much more than a lottery ticket, it's educational, fitness, nature, history, peace and quiet and community. And I look forward to enjoying many more years MDing.

I am in it too pick up ladies!! :laughing:
Seriously, I like getting out in the fresh air and walking, and when I am Mding, it seems time and the miles just fly by. The exercise is good for my spare tire. Plus, the thrill of never knowing what you will dig up, and the excitement of finding something that may not be 'cool' too someone else, but too you it's the best!

because i am addicted to it
i have had alot of bad habit over the years at least this is good for me and i probably break even on the money:D
curtis

I read post where they hate all the zinc pennies. I am not fond of them either but will dig them and cash them in for batteries.

I am in it for the time to myself and finding things of interest lost by others. Who but someone metal detecting would show off a dog tag they found or a old AAA key chain flob for returning lost keys, that is out dated. I like my junk ring collection , some are pretty solid rings. I am mainly in for finding coins to add to my collection of old coins but I know I am about the only one interested in them when it comes right down to it. I still love going out and finding things and will do it as long as I can. I am 62 and since getting back into it my condition of health is much better, not that I was that bad off before getting back into it, but getting in and out of the car is much easier now , I have more endurance than before. Maybe it will keep me around longer, unless I meet that one property owner who hates people metal detecting their curb strip that much. LOL But maybe I can handle them better because of better health than someone sitting on the couch all day watching TV.
M6 Mike

I'm was a history major in college and MD for the historical research that it takes to find the good stuff (usually). If I find a minieball I often know with reasonable certainty who (unit) dropped it and when and what the context of that unit being in that place was and that makes it sooo much more interesting to me. Coins are much the same way where I look for them. I never search parks/totlots and rarely find much clad. It's all about the hunt, the item found, and it's historical context for me.

Bobby

I do it for the thrill of the hunt cause when I rings up a gold signal and your heart starts racing and then stops when you pull out the penny but sometimes you get lucky and it is well worth it. Also do it for the time to relax.

why

Since age 16,now 51,what your gonna dig up next,keep's ya going,fun,exercise,fresh air,being retired,it can keep you bussy,it is not for everyone,but it's for me,Happy hunting ,Earl

I'm a outdoor nut and always have been, I am have also been in the remodeling business for 30 years. I really enjoy going into old garages, attics,and basements and getting a look at forgotten things. I got into MDing as another outlet of "needing to know" .
kind of like every ambulance or police car that drives by with the lights on makes me wonder about where it's going. evrytime I drive past an old barn or home now I get "that itch" I just need to know what's in that ground...long forgotten,but I feel like I can rescue that lost piece of history.

I'm in it for..............................now what was the reason...............lost my mind, wanted to find it..................:no:.......................well, it will come to me.

Oh, I remember.......................:no:that's not it!

Get me off my duff...........that's it. Exercise, fresh air, mingling with nature, exercise and the possibility of actually finding something! :shock:

Because despite the fact that I am a father of two and have a grownup job, I am still 9 years old and get excited like a 9 year old every time I get a sweet signal.

Back
Top Bottom