Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Big boys Hobbies
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Detectors and Gear > Make It or Fix It Yourself

Old 10-05-2020, 05:40 PM
Elite Member

Default 3D printer Guys

I am asking anyone with 3D printer is it possible for you to make a solid coil cover for my equinox coils ? Mainly for the stock coil. I use it in the woods and tird of snagging on stuff. If so what would the cost be? Would it even hold up? Thanks !

Old 10-06-2020, 08:11 PM

Possible? -- for me, maybe. 11x9 is going to be super close to too big to fit on my printer's bed, but there are certainly bigger printers out there.

Cost -- probably not more than a few bucks in filament. What type filament? Good question. Probably something less brittle / more impact resistant than the usual stuff. PETG would be pretty good. I think it would hold up

Engineering time/ test fitting /failed prints... lol... priceless.

On a large scale it seems like it's be best done like the stock coil cover -- injection molded probably? Another thought is ABS vacuum forming, which, if you are crafty, you might be able to do yourself...

Let me see if my bed's big enough, I like a challenge. Are you still wanting nox coil ear stiffeners? Those I *can* do.

Edit: Nope -- in my mind's eye it was oval, but no, it's basically an 11" circle. Too big for my printer. sorry

Old 10-08-2020, 07:28 PM
Elite Member

Y
Originally Posted by TorqueMaster View post
Possible? -- for me, maybe. 11x9 is going to be super close to too big to fit on my printer's bed, but there are certainly bigger printers out there.

Cost -- probably not more than a few bucks in filament. What type filament? Good question. Probably something less brittle / more impact resistant than the usual stuff. PETG would be pretty good. I think it would hold up

Engineering time/ test fitting /failed prints... lol... priceless.

On a large scale it seems like it's be best done like the stock coil cover -- injection molded probably? Another thought is ABS vacuum forming, which, if you are crafty, you might be able to do yourself...

Let me see if my bed's big enough, I like a challenge. Are you still wanting nox coil ear stiffeners? Those I *can* do.

Edit: Nope -- in my mind's eye it was oval, but no, it's basically an 11" circle. Too big for my printer. sorry
Thanks for checking.

Old 10-18-2020, 02:31 PM
Supporter

You might want it to have drainage, like a mesh screen, for dirt and water...or a solid cover over top and bottom.
They make 13" diameter round screens for dehydrators. Maybe stick one of these on the bottom of your existing coil cover? https://www.amazon.com/Silicone-Dehy...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Old 10-18-2020, 03:20 PM
Supporter

Is there a reason to not use the covers that come with them?

Old 10-18-2020, 08:14 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by EmuDetector View post
Is there a reason to not use the covers that come with them?
No. The idea is to solve the problem of sticks, twigs, etc. poking through the open areas of the coil, causing snagging as he moves and detects through wooded areas.
He said: "I use it in the woods and tired of snagging on stuff."
I have snagged my coil in the woods enough times to be familiar with this problem. A solid bottom cover would solve that, but I think it would create a debris/water trapping issue unless that issue is also addressed.

Old 10-18-2020, 08:44 PM
Supporter

Ah got it now.