Union & Clasped Hands Flask found at Resale Store

GLASSHOPPER1955

Elite Member
A couple of weeks ago I stopped in at a local resale store and saw this "Union & Clasped Hands" 1870s flask. It is classified as GIX-XII in the bottle books. Many variations and makers. Not rare but a nice old historical flask.

Here's the thing: They must have thought it was a repro as they priced it at $3.00. I thought "man! That sure looks old to me, it has all the signs of old glass" so I bought it. I bounced it off some others on a bottle forum to get their opinions and they concur. So it shows you never know when you'll run across a treasure, usually when you least expect it.

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 561
  • b.jpg
    b.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 571
  • c.jpg
    c.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 509
  • d.jpg
    d.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 522
  • e.jpg
    e.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 513
That is a sweet find! Used to find old ones at a Humane Society store. Guessing when someone passed away their loved ones dropped them off and no volunteers knew anything about bottles. I like the tonic bitters and pain killer bottles.

Awesome score GH...i had a simular experience bout 20 years ago at a flea market. . a gentleman had a beautiful colbalt blue whiskey bottle on his table priced at $8.... i was not familiar with the particular bottle but everything looked right except it looked too clean , all other details such as mold lines,slight waves in glass looked right for an 1880s ish whisky. .. i looked at it for a few minutes, set it back down ,walked away and gave it some thought.. i went back 5 minutes later and fortunately it was still there. . i gae the man $8 and walked away with a mint condition Caspers Whiskey made by honest north caralina people bottle which i had a friend sell for me for $320.. i also bought a Morning Star bitters bottle in box of junk bottles at an antique store that was going out of business for a measly $10..

Awesome score GH...i had a simular experience bout 20 years ago at a flea market. . a gentleman had a beautiful colbalt blue whiskey bottle on his table priced at $8.... i was not familiar with the particular bottle but everything looked right except it looked too clean , all other details such as mold lines,slight waves in glass looked right for an 1880s ish whisky. .. i looked at it for a few minutes, set it back down ,walked away and gave it some thought.. i went back 5 minutes later and fortunately it was still there. . i gae the man $8 and walked away with a mint condition Caspers Whiskey made by honest north caralina people bottle which i had a friend sell for me for $320.. i also bought a Morning Star bitters bottle in box of junk bottles at an antique store that was going out of business for a measly $10..

Cool! If the price is minimal and the bottle looks "right" I'd take a chance every time.

Sounds like you picked up some nice glass there.:yes:

Back
Top Bottom