Help with shotgun shells?

Becki

Hi, Sorry if this is in the wrong thread.
Found in Midlands UK
I found 5 shotgun shell casings (the bottom stamped part)
Could anyone give me help with dating them please?

1- Eley -kynoch 20
2- Kynoch no12 Birmingham
3- Nobel- Glasgow 16 n 16
4- H.Clarke & Sons express no12 cartridge Leicester
5- Curtis's & Harvey Eley no12 London

That's the stamps writing on them.

I found these on my first ever try at metal detecting.
Thank you.

Last edited:
Good site for shotgun head stamp ID.

Becki,
Add a rough Location to your profile. From the head stamps i am GUESSING you are in the UK as there would be very rare if found in the USA.

Ok so far i have found the company for the 4th headstamp H.Clarke & Sons
which apparently closed in 1963. Hard to find any details of the actual headstamp though regarding date.

Yes, the same head stamp could be used for many years or even decades. In these cases you can only put a time frame of when it was made.

This then does not mean when it was fired and dropped which could be many years later.

I find lots of older shot gun shells at an old farm site. Most I can only put into a few decade time frame.

All game or target loads, probably pretty common on your side of the pond. Nearly impossible to date them with that description, if it was just the metal base you can probably assume pre-1970, but the brits held onto paper shells longer than the US did so that is just a guess.

Ok so i messaged the owner of the site cartridge corner and he gave me some rough dates of them which is pretty awesome.

1- Eley -kynoch 20 - Date 1890-1940
2- Kynoch no12 Birmingham- Date 1890-1940
3- Nobel- Glasgow 16 n 16-Date 1910-1940
4- H.Clarke & Sons express no12 cartridge Leicester- Date 1910-1940
5- Curtis's & Harvey Eley no12 London- Date 1910-1940 (my research dated this 1920)

I'm very pleased with my finds on the first ever try at metal detecting.
I'm very happy with my Intey TO-GJ-023 it works perfectly for my hobby.

Nice you got some dates.
Assuming these were fired when new (not sitting around) then all dropped before 1940.

Good luck finding other stuff around there.

Back
Top Bottom