difference in CW map and modern map

maxxkatt

Forum Supporter
I am looking at Civil War maps for troop movements, battle areas, camp sites.

On the civil war maps my main key for locating on a modern map are creeks.

But in this one case the difference in a confluence of one smaller creek to a larger creek on the civil war map is about a mile west of the modern map.

So do I assume the CW map maker got it wrong?

I've done a lot of the same comparisons for my area. Some of the CW maps seem to be drawn way out of scale, entire towns are drawn further north than others etc. I'm sure within some regiments were guys drawing maps that weren't cartographers. You have to just take it all in and come up with the middle ground.

what complicates things more for hunting CW sites in metro Atlanta is that darn near everything is covered up with concrete, homes, warehouses. Pretty much limited to creek areas.

Between Atlanta and Chattanooga is much better. Lots of good old country land except tons of warehouses along I-75 for about 1/2 mile to a mile on each side in spots.

Problem is I am from Atlanta and not local to the north Georgia area and have a difficult time getting permissions. The guys that get good permissions live in the area and know friends and relatives with farm land.

But, even so I have found a half dozen CW sites I can hunt and probably that many more if I move to another side of Atlanta so I am not complaining. We have to make the best use of what we got. Glad I have some CW sites to hunt.

So true - very tough to find areas in Atlanta that haven't been paved over or bldgs. I am in North Georgia and the good ol guys have all the good spots cuz they have been here forever and have contacts just like you mentioned.

I've found in my own research that the Civil War Preservation Trust maps are the best as far as I'm concerned. Pretty sad though that progress has made a lot of areas unrecognizable.

Back
Top Bottom