• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Silver streak continues!

longbow62

Forum Supporter
My digging buddy Jeff and I stayed in town today because I saw them putting a sidewalk in last Friday afternoon late. I got one silver Rosie where they had the sidewalk formed up. But that allowed us to door knock on several doors. These are finds from four front yards mostly. I got my first ever foreign silver today a holed French 50 centimes. The hole went thru the date, but the thing is pretty slick as it is. I got my first Barber dime of the year also. I wanted that Merc bad for the trifecta, but no dice!

Jeff got this cross thing with a plow in the center. He could make out a V in the top of cross. Has anybody ever seen one?

Attachments

• 20220123_174936_resized.jpg
    20220123_174936_resized.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 249
  • IMG952346.jpg
    IMG952346.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 247
  • 20220123_142528_resized.jpg
    20220123_142528_resized.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 230
  • IMG952337.jpg
    IMG952337.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 223
  • IMG952340.jpg
    IMG952340.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 234
  • IMG952339.jpg
    IMG952339.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 240
I've said it before, and will say it gain. My city never, ever leaves sidewalk tear outs open like that. They tear them out all the time, especially as they continue to change all of the old curbs to be more accessible. If they're going to do 200 feet of sidewalks they'll do 50 feet at a time. They'll tear it out and at least have gravel down before the end of the day. Or, cover it up with these heavy rubber mats.

I've said it before, and will say it gain. My city never, ever leaves sidewalk tear outs open like that. They tear them out all the time, especially as they continue to change all of the old curbs to be more accessible. If they're going to do 200 feet of sidewalks they'll do 50 feet at a time. They'll tear it out and at least have gravel down before the end of the day. Or, cover it up with these heavy rubber mats.

We have missed a lot cause they usually tear out form and gravel one day and pour the next. This is only the second one we have got to hit.

That's a nice bit of silver!

Thanks, we've been on a roll, but that could slow down at any time.

Congrats on all the silvers especially the Barber!

Thanks, We don't find a lot of dimes Barbers around here, so finding a Barber dime makes any hunt a little more special. Barber quarters are even more scarce.

As of now out of 131 silver coins found 11 have been Barber dimes, and 3 were Barber quarters.

Another fine outing and good report longbow. Congrats on the shiny and all the other cool finds. At this rate you are on par for a record year. Good luck, Mark

Very nice longbow.

I'm hoping to get back out this weekend. Going to get close to 60 on Sunday.

This time of year is hit & miss in southwest Kansas. High of 22 today and back to the 50s by the weekend.

Another fine outing and good report longbow. Congrats on the shiny and all the other cool finds. At this rate you are on par for a record year. Good luck, Mark

Thanks, I hope it will be.

Very nice longbow.

I'm hoping to get back out this weekend. Going to get close to 60 on Sunday.

This time of year is hit & miss in southwest Kansas. High of 22 today and back to the 50s by the weekend.

Thanks, I'm looking at 40 degrees this Saturday, and 50 Sunday. Right now it's 32 feels like 21 wind chill. As long as the ground is not frozen I'm going too.

Jeff found out what the cross thing is with the plow on it. B.F. Avery & Sons Plows. At one time the largest farm implement manufacturer in the world. Evidently made tractors too later on. I bet the advertising piece he found is a very early one.

Attachments

• A0686-01-150dpi.jpg
    A0686-01-150dpi.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 191
Nice finds! I really like the French 50 Centimes. I found one dated 1918 nine years ago when I first started metal detecting. It was my 2nd silver coin.

Nice finds! I really like the French 50 Centimes. I found one dated 1918 nine years ago when I first started metal detecting. It was my 2nd silver coin.

Thanks, Cool that you have found one. I wish mine had a date you could read. I had never even heard of that coin. I had to look it up. The hole in mine is square. A square hole makes me think it's pretty old though. Are holed coins a thing oversees too? I'm wondering if the hole got put in it over there or here?

Attachments

• 20220123_175102_resized.jpg
    20220123_175102_resized.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 116
Someone put the hole in that coin. Maybe to wear on a necklace or bracelet. I heard that years ago people put their change on a string. Mine does not have a hole. Maybe back in those days people used them as dimes like we still use the occasional Canadian coin.

Thats a great haul Longbow.
And a good bit of opportunist thinking.
Congrats to you both.

Back
Top Bottom