Old Ballfield Wrap Up - Location, Location, Location

FLOOD

Forum Supporter
Today was my 6th visit to the old ballfield which is about 20 minutes from my house. This is a 1940s era little league field that hasn't seen much use in the last decade or so. I started searching this ballfield on Monday, and went pretty much everyday, including today. On any given day, I spent between 2 and 3.5 hours walking the field, primarily the outfield areas.

Today, in the first 15 minutes of my visit, I found a 1943D Mercury Dime, followed almost immediately, about 5 feet away, a 1934 Mercury Dime. Today's finds also include four wheats (1912, 1944, 1945, and 1949). I found a total of 21 coins today, being there for 2 hours or so, which is not an overall large number of coins, but given the number of coins I found during the previous five visits, it was actually very decent, especially with two more silvers and four more wheats.

Over the course of the week, this ballfield provided me with 320 total coins, with 9 silvers (1934, 1941 and 1943 Washington Quarters, 1934, 1939, 1942 and 1943D Mercury Dimes, two 1943P War Nickels), one 1929 Buffalo Nickel, and 28 wheat pennies (ranging in age from 1912 through 1957). I also found a very nice sterling silver religious medallion, a 1940s era transit token (not pictured) and a 1954 Government of India One Pice coin.

I would have to say that this ballfield has been my best hunting ground all year long, for the bounty of nice silver it provided, and for the overall number of coins that came out of it. I did spend a lot of hours hunting, and I had some cold days out there, including a couple in the rain, but I feel like the time and patience at this spot paid off nicely.

One thing I also feel like was a huge benefit for me was getting to know my Legend detector much better. It's a new purchase, as of November 8th. Over the last 3 1/2 weeks, some advice from other forum members, and a lot of reading, really helped me to get a good feel for the detector, and it has come through like gangbusters in the short time I've had it.

Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• 1934 Mercury Dime Front 04 Dec 22.jpg
    1934 Mercury Dime Front 04 Dec 22.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 226
  • 1934 Mercury Dime Back 04 Dec 22.jpg
    1934 Mercury Dime Back 04 Dec 22.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 221
  • 1943D Mercury Dime Back 04 Dec 22.jpg
    1943D Mercury Dime Back 04 Dec 22.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 220
  • 1943D Mercury Dime Front 04 Dec 22.jpg
    1943D Mercury Dime Front 04 Dec 22.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 218
  • Silver Buffalo and Wheats BB Field 04 Dec 22.jpg
    Silver Buffalo and Wheats BB Field 04 Dec 22.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 225
That is awesome, so glad you found such a great place !:chaplin::chaplin::D:D:bouncy::bouncy::bouncy::bouncy:
too_

It is a nice spot. The other thing is that there is a second old ball field that I haven’t even looked at yet. The other field is so overgrown, I can’t swing my detector. I am hoping the town takes to clearing the overgrown bushes and trees out of it, so I can get in there in the new year. I am sure it has similar coins hiding out as the first ball field.

Thats awesome!...There are still places like that out there. Where you would least expect it...I've found a handfull....Congratulations!

Great spot FLOOD, it has produced quite well for you. Congrats on all the shiny and other goodies. I would head back there after the spring thaw. As you learn you new machine try a few tweaks, you might be surprised how much you missed. Did you grid search or just do the drunken sailor sort of thing ? Good luck. Mark

Great spot FLOOD, it has produced quite well for you. Congrats on all the shiny and other goodies. I would head back there after the spring thaw. As you learn you new machine try a few tweaks, you might be surprised how much you missed. Did you grid search or just do the drunken sailor sort of thing ? Good luck. Mark

Random walking like Rain Man. I am going to return as I can and make this a regular spot when I want to hunt around. Places like this seem good to give up little goodies the more you look. I don’t mind putting in the hours for a few prizes here and there.

Back
Top Bottom