• Forum server maintanace tomorrow night.
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Minelab's new machines????

No, but when they advertise software updatable machines as a selling point, it verges on false advertising when they simply release minor revisions in an existing machine and market it as new.
I don't know, haven't researched this much and don't own any minelabs [and don't plan to] Maybe I am reading this the wrong way. If nothing else, it illustrates the problem of making grandiose teaser announcements that drive people to speculate for weeks on end, and end up coming well short of expectations.

One might argue, well how long are companies supposed to update products ? Must end some time. I don't know how many updates they came out with for this machine, but if the 900 is just a software tweak that could have been done with the 800, its underhanded plain and simple.

Absolutely, any tool is only as good as its operator, and you won't find stuff if it isn't there. I have found an amazing amount of stuff with my lowly Ace 400, and still do. I have more capable machines but it is my go to because I know it so well, and have confidence in it.

X-Ray, nothing underhanded going on, Minelab addressed all the build quality issue's and added a few extra's as well in the 900. The armcuff, the shaft, the handgrip and hopefully the coil ears and and it leakability issue. All physical upgrades. A tweak would not have sufficed. And I don't believe a sofware upgrade could handle a completely new VDI range with more sensitivity. What I see is, although they don't acknowledge it, they have been listening all along, hence the 700/900 series.

And I agree with you, its not the machine you're using but the one you know. Mark

X-Ray, nothing underhanded going on, Minelab addressed all the build quality issue's and added a few extra's as well in the 900. The armcuff, the shaft, the handgrip and hopefully the coil ears and and it leakability issue. All physical upgrades. A tweak would not have sufficed. And I don't believe a sofware upgrade could handle a completely new VDI range with more sensitivity. What I see is, although they don't acknowledge it, they have been listening all along, hence the 700/900 series.

And I agree with you, its not the machine you're using but the one you know. Mark

Ok maybe I'm getting carried away here ,, But if the software tweaks could have been done via update, I think there is room for owners, of which I am not one, to be disgruntled.
As far as the hardware fixes, I don't know. Some might argue they should have been fedexed to existing owners rather than launching another model number. This is nearly an admission that the 600/800 were shoddily constructed.

But there is no question but that the Nox has been a great success for them, and the owners by and large seem to be satisfied, so those are the opinions that count with them, not mine. [I did buy one and never took to it, sold it for just about what I paid for it months later] I was looking for a backup water machine for my AT, when I heard of all the leak problems and my cousin had no fewer than 3 that drowned, I decided to cut my losses right there and then.
They did hook up my cousin though, had 3 600's and the 4th one they sent was an 800 which he uses till this day.

agree with what you said, I am giving some serious thoughts on purchasing a Equinox 900, I already have a Manticore on the way and the New Garrett Axiom, which those two once delivered will pretty much set my Detector lineup but with that being said again I am giving the 900 some serious thoughts, I love the Legend but I have always been intrigued by the Nox 800 and had it not been for all the build quality issues I would have had a Nox 800 in my detector stable a very long time ago just not sure I want to spend another $1100 after spending over 5K for two detectors just recently

This is nearly an admission that the 600/800 were shoddily constructed.

I agree , to a certain extent. However keep in mind The Equinox came on the heels of the CTX 3030 and the Etrac. The Etrac being heavy, not water proof and a slow but deadly coin shooter. The CTX was supposed to be a great waterproof and turf hunting machine. That turned out to be an unrivaled coin shooter but did not fare too well on the beach and water scene.

So people were asking for a cheaper (less expensive ) waterproof all purpose machine. Hence the Equinox. Well they hit a home run with Multi-Iq, just ask Nokta or XP, but failed trying to keep cost down with build quality. But it still turned out to be a great seller. The saying goes when you get knocked down, it not what did you do, its what you did do next. Unfortunately in the world of Md'ing those things could take years. And now they have answered. My only hope it the waterproof thing, if they don't get it right this time they can kiss marketing another water hunting machine ever goodbye. I wish them success. Mark

agree with what you said, I am giving some serious thoughts on purchasing a Equinox 900, I already have a Manticore on the way and the New Garrett Axiom, which those two once delivered will pretty much set my Detector lineup but with that being said again I am giving the 900 some serious thoughts, I love the Legend but I have always been intrigued by the Nox 800 and had it not been for all the build quality issues I would have had a Nox 800 in my detector stable a very long time ago just not sure I want to spend another $1100 after spending over 5K for two detectors just recently

Yes sir, the 900 has got my attention and like you I've got the Manticore on order. Sounds like you've got some serious investments there. I put one of my 800s up for sale just with the thought I would like to hunt the 800 and 900 side by side to see the difference. I almost pulled the trigger on a Legend and then Minelab announced the Manticore. If they had announced the 900 first it would have been a no brainer for me. As I would rate the 800 4 1/2 out of 5 stars on performance. Good luck. Mark

Yes sir, the 900 has got my attention and like you I've got the Manticore on order. Sounds like you've got some serious investments there. I put one of my 800s up for sale just with the thought I would like to hunt the 800 and 900 side by side to see the difference. I almost pulled the trigger on a Legend and then Minelab announced the Manticore. If they had announced the 900 first it would have been a no brainer for me. As I would rate the 800 4 1/2 out of 5 stars on performance. Good luck. Mark

I agree Mark,that new Manicore looks like a really great machines.. The equinox is really good too.. Hopefully you get it while we're having This semi Good weather, seems our winters aren't bad at all anymore..Good luck!

I kind of want to wait on the reporting to start coming back on the Equinox 900 before I jump on board, either way I am pretty set on detectors once my Manticore and Axiom are delivered, that 900 sure sounds good though, they all sound really good though LOL and i haven't quite figured out just where the Nox 900 will fit in my stable of detectors

here is what my detector line up is going to look like once the Axiom and the Manticore are delivered to me

Axiom (Pulse Induction) awaiting delivery
Garrett 24K (Gold specific VLF) 48 KHz
Mine Lab Beast (Manticore) Awaiting delivery
Legend Pro Pack X2 run one with the 6 inch coil and the other with the 11 inch
Simplex Plus (keep it for a great loaner detector for company)
Xterra 705 just cannot part with because it has sentimental value and found my best find ever

Garrett AT PRO which I have donated to Terry Solomon's veteran cause which is a great cause

here is my dilemma where would the Equinox 900 fit into my stable of detectors LOL would I gain anything other than another Detector ??? can the Equinox 900 do anything the detectors I already have or the ones coming cannot do, in my mind I think the answer to my question is no it cannot so that would mean I purchased it just to say I could but did not really need it LOL

I loved my noxs. Sold one of them after I got the d2 last February. Now I’ll be getting the manticore shortly. Even if they were both announced the same time I’d go with manticore over the 900. I like the color screen and the 2d display.

All of this is pushing me back to dusting off my Deus II and giving it another go. Minelab is really confusing me as to _which_ new machine to buy, and I'm not shelling out for both of them. Anyone have a feature by feature comparison list between the 900 and the 'Core? I feel like the proverbial donkey who starves between two bales of hay. Why would ML do this?

The D II got off to a bad start for me, not only do to my own experience, but due to a couple of charlatans who shall remain nameless that seemed to have moved on. Now, people I respect are posting good finds. Hopefully the same will happen for the ML machines. Can't wait for honest field reports; anyone got a 'Core in their hands yet?

But, my E-Trac will carry me at least 6 more months, god willing, and I'll tinker with the D II as well. Remember, its more about site research than machine research, at least IMHO, but if we see evidence that a new machine can bring hunted out sites to life, I'll be all over it, as we've got plenty of those around here.

Was really ready to buy a Manticore for beach hunting, but with the cost of it, it made more sense to just buy the CTX 3030 with free 17" coil. $1600 for the Manticore plus probably $400 for a larger coil when it eventually comes out. Or $2500 for CTX with free 17" coil and not getting a neutered machine.

I had a CTX in the past, but sold it when I was trying out basically every detector on the market. CTX has a lot of features that really increase quality of life, fe-co numbers and pitch hold are the ones that sealed it for me.

Manticore I think missed the mark on pricing, should have been closer to $1200.

Was really ready to buy a Manticore for beach hunting, but with the cost of it, it made more sense to just buy the CTX 3030 with free 17" coil. $1600 for the Manticore plus probably $400 for a larger coil when it eventually comes out. Or $2500 for CTX with free 17" coil and not getting a neutered machine.

I had a CTX in the past, but sold it when I was trying out basically every detector on the market. CTX has a lot of features that really increase quality of life, fe-co numbers and pitch hold are the ones that sealed it for me.

Manticore I think missed the mark on pricing, should have been closer to $1200.

From what I have seen I believe you will be getting a hybrid CTX if you purchase the Manticore this of course is just my opinion

the manticore will be a much lighter detector then the CTX

the reasons I have stated is why I made a purchase of the Manticore just awaiting delivery of it

watched a live chat of iffy signals talking about the Manticore and he pretty much stated it is on another planet in tones and capabilities Iffy is pretty much a straight shooter and is one of the testers of the Manticore and the Nox 900 he had great things to say about both but again his statements pretty much was the Manticore is in a league of its own

I'd love a manticore. Since I've seen the manual and good videos I'm sold, but $1600 is not happening just yet. The 900 fixed the problems (hopefully). But buying the 900 would be like wanting a steak and getting a burger. Maybe I'll eat spam till i save up for the Manticore:yes:

I really think you guys are just feeding off the newness of the Manticore.
I haven't seen any videos making me want to part with $1600.00 for it.
My D2 can run with that machine from what I have seen so far.

I ordered a Equinox 700 tonight. I sincerely hope I am getting an upgrade over my Vanquish 540. It looks like it will be but the Vanquish 540 has been a good machine for me so far.

Attachments

• detector.jpg
    detector.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 146
All of this is pushing me back to dusting off my Deus II and giving it another go. Minelab is really confusing me as to _which_ new machine to buy, and I'm not shelling out for both of them. Anyone have a feature by feature comparison list between the 900 and the 'Core? I feel like the proverbial donkey who starves between two bales of hay. Why would ML do this?

The D II got off to a bad start for me, not only do to my own experience, but due to a couple of charlatans who shall remain nameless that seemed to have moved on. Now, people I respect are posting good finds. Hopefully the same will happen for the ML machines. Can't wait for honest field reports; anyone got a 'Core in their hands yet?

But, my E-Trac will carry me at least 6 more months, god willing, and I'll tinker with the D II as well. Remember, its more about site research than machine research, at least IMHO, but if we see evidence that a new machine can bring hunted out sites to life, I'll be all over it, as we've got plenty of those around here.

Randy just watched a video from Mental Metal. He shows the difference's between the 900 and Manticore. Something I haven't seen or heard before was the 900 comes with both 11 and 6 in coils. All of a sudden 1099 price tag sounds a little better. Ha ha. Mark

I actually could say the exact same thing about the D2 and the Equinox 800 on dry land. If any advantage to the D2 it's sure not much for $1600. If the 900 matches or surpasses the D2 well the 900 is cheaper.

Then we get to the Manticore, and the real world facts aren't in and won't be until there is a bunch out in the field in different parts of the country. Who knows it might be a dud. We have the Legend, Equinox 600, 800, 700, 900, D2, and Manticore. I wouldn't be scared to hunt against any of them or feel seriously under gunned swinging any of them.

It really boils down to what you jell with.

I doubt if 1 guy in 100 will actually find something with the newest ML that they wouldn't have found using what they were before, but you can't quantify something like that, and they will think its the new machine unlocking the hidden depths, when in fact by and large they just happened to have swung a coil over the right patch of ground. I just found a killer 21k gold ring with a 15 year old machine, its not what you swing that matters most, but where and how.
I do like to hear all the theatrics that go along with a new Minelab release though, and I think I can be a bit more neutral since I am not coming from another ML and no intent to go to their latest.
Seems like alot of guys just want to upgrade automatically like a cell phone with a better camera and more memory at Christmas time - I can relate, I am hooked on buying guitars and tools, and neither makes me a better guitarist or craftsman, but even if I think they might then it could be $$ well spent.

I doubt if 1 guy in 100 will actually find something with the newest ML that they wouldn't have found using what they were before, but you can't quantify something like that, and they will think its the new machine unlocking the hidden depths, when in fact by and large they just happened to have swung a coil over the right patch of ground. I just found a killer 21k gold ring with a 15 year old machine, its not what you swing that matters most, but where and how.
I do like to hear all the theatrics that go along with a new Minelab release though, and I think I can be a bit more neutral since I am not coming from another ML and no intent to go to their latest.
Seems like alot of guys just want to upgrade automatically like a cell phone with a better camera and more memory at Christmas time - I can relate, I am hooked on buying guitars and tools, and neither makes me a better guitarist or craftsman, but even if I think they might then it could be $$ well spent.

I may be alone in my site potential, but I don't think so. I think a lot of people face the same conditions but have yet to realize it.

Our city park. I know there are thousands of old coins, perhaps the oldest yet, to be pulled from that site. I know. There is no maybe. The right detector and skilled user could pull a lot of those. It is the perfect site to test those new detectors and see if they are all the hype says. From the videos, I've seen so far the Manticore looks to have the most potential to do just that. I took my E-Trac down last night for a quick hunt and dug 3 targets. two were iffy having FE numbers up to the 20s at times, but I dug anyway because there was nothing else. Yes, they were both junk. I did get one I knew was going to be a coin at 8". The FE stayed low and never got above 15. A 1981 lincoln at 8". The coins are deep at this site to say the least.

This site has been brought back to life 3 times for me in the past by new detector ability. The first was with the Whites Eagle Spectrum in 1991. Second was the Whites DFX in the mid 2000s, and last was the Minelab E-Trac in the later 2000s. In all three cases, the entire park was brought back to life for several years. I'm hoping it can be done for me one more time. But at this point, it will take a could step in more depth, or much more accurate target ID. I can detect many possible targets, but without more accurate TID I can't possibly just dig it all.

Back
Top Bottom