Anybody Hunting for Art in Thrift Stores?

scoundrel

six feet under(water)
I was thrift store hunting long before I started metal detecting. Back in the 90s, I discovered some local artists called the Highwaymen. This is really a cool story. https://backusmuseum.org/highwaymen Back in the 1950s I believe, there was a Florida landscape artist named Beanie Backus who taught art at a public middle school in Fort Pierce. Most of them were poor black children. So a group of these kids started to make paintings outside of school and sell them on the side of the road and door to door. It became a thing. They made and sold hundreds of them. Over the years, some of the highwaymen died violent deaths, others went on to become successful artists and are still painting today. And they fetch a pretty penny for their work. Some of the original paintings are very crude while others are absolutely stunning. Today, the original highwaymen paintings sell for $1000 and up. I found two of them at thrift stores back in the 90s. I remember getting $500 for one. I don’t remember what the other sold for. It was not as nice. Searching for highway men paintings led me to notice other art. With the advent of the Internet and Google it became super easy to research an artist. Not very often, but pretty regularly I score a decent piece of art from a thrift store. I usually look for an oil on canvas, an original watercolor., charcoal, or pencil, or a limited edition print. And signed of course. I do a quick Google search of the name, and if the artist has any listed works, in the hundreds of dollars or more, I will buy it. I rarely pay more than $25 for a painting at a thrift store. They do not seem to do much research on artwork. A lot of good pieces slip through the cracks.
I found this at a thrift store in Pennsylvania while on a road trip. Original oil on canvas and very nicely framed. I saw multiple listings online for this artists work in the $300 range and I found one painting that sold for over $1000 on an auction site. It will be an easy sell.

Attachments

• 25CC7376-DFC7-47B6-B57A-9F748A8C4EE6.jpeg
    25CC7376-DFC7-47B6-B57A-9F748A8C4EE6.jpeg
    165 KB · Views: 265
  • 1CE32A6E-145D-4121-8F98-6A1D7E149FBD.jpeg
    1CE32A6E-145D-4121-8F98-6A1D7E149FBD.jpeg
    118.7 KB · Views: 272
Last edited:
I love art work. I don't actively look for it but when I do see it I always check it out. Some of the frames are absolutely fantastic. Also lithographs can be pricey, but again got to know what you are looking at.

I do sometimes thrift hunt and a while back found something in the "art" section. An old rolled up fabric backed map. I unrolled it and to my surprise it was an antique map of Chatham Mass from 1851. I paid $4 for it.

Turns out it is the first map of Chatham lights ever made by George Eldridge.

I contacted a rare map dealer in Chatham who agreed to consign it for me. Funny thing is, the map store was once owned by the Eldrdge family so the store owner knew everything about this particular map. He listed it at $2200

Another funny detail to this story. We listed some old furniture for free and a woman came to pick it up. We got to talking and this woman worked at the Goodwill I got the map at. Not only that, SHE is the one that priced it at $4. Small world.

Here is the map in question.
https://mapsofantiquity.com/collect...-southwest-part-of-handkerchief-antique-chart

So yeah, treasure is where you find it.

Back
Top Bottom