Thought I had a Good One

markinswpa

Forum Supporter
New permission, small cottage 1900s build, huge corner lot in a high traffic area. Had high hopes starting on Saturday last but after roughly a 5 hour hunt I only had one 1948 wheat, a sterling Army marksman badge and a little less than 2 bucks in clad. Went back today, about the same, started out with a little clad then a 41 wheat. Slow going, nothing old and then a screaming 36-37. When I popped it out from about 2 in. down I thought it was a Olympic token or one of those Jurrasic Park dinosaur tokens.But it looked more black and tarnished. When I rubbed it and saw 1776 I thought this could be good. After a half dozen wheats and .53 cents in clad I called it a day. Karma came to the owner today as I found and returned his pitbull's tags, one of which had his chips info on it. Karma also came my way today as I stepped in not 1 but 2 of Mikey's land mines. When I got home and rinsed it I saw Fugio. I don't know much about colonial coins but I do know Fugio's are copper not silver. Still a unique find, very happy with it. Will clean it and put it on display. Not very likely to find a real one of those here in W. Pa. Saw a silver version of it on fleabay but mine is clearly plated. Too bad, a 2oz. silver would be a good hit.
hs38.jpg

hs39.jpg

hs40.jpg

hs45.jpg

A week ago today I was on my way home from some errands and saw a sidewalk tearout going on. A year or so back they tore out the corners of those sidewalks to add handicap ramps . On that particular hunt I was able to get a surface Buff and an easy 61 GW. This time I added 11 wheats, some clad and 2 64 Rosies and a 52 GW. That was my shortest hunt of the year as it was almost 3 when I got started and was finished by 4:40.
My last 2 trips to the old city park, the first netted some clad, one 1940 wheat and a 43 Merc. The Merc was a sweet high tone at 39-40 in 3 directions and was not all that deep. My next trip was a little painful to say the least. After 4 1/2 hours of digging junk, in the last 20 minutes of the hunt a 70s nickel saved me from taking a skunk. Kinda my fault, the leaves are stacked way too high. I need a good snow pack on them before I go back. Thanks for checking in. Mark

Attachments

• hs43.jpg
    hs43.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 382
  • hs42.jpg
    hs42.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 386
  • 20221126_175414.jpg
    20221126_175414.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 374
  • hs44.jpg
    hs44.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 376
Nice finds Mark. I’ve stepped on a few of those “land mines” recently too. :lol:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Dwayne, I just chalk it up to occupational hazard. A week or so back not only did I step in some, but I knelt in some as well. Whats that phrase, situational awareness, yea I need to brush up on those skills.:lol: Good luck a wishing you a strong finish FTY. Mark

Mark, you always seem to find an open door of opportunity when one is closed. Finding those few extra silvers is an accomplishment by itself. Nice recovery with the sterling badge too. Congrats on all counts and for #57 fty!

Mark, you always seem to find an open door of opportunity when one is closed. Finding those few extra silvers is an accomplishment by itself. Nice recovery with the sterling badge too. Congrats on all counts and for #57 fty!

Thank you John. Hoping to at least tie my silver count from last year of 65. One or two more good permissions should do it. I'm done with this one, the age and location I should be pulling old coins. The oldest was a smooth Buff, a 41 wheat and no silver except for the badge. Went back again yesterday, a little more clad, a cool token but not much else. I think the place has been hit before and hit pretty good. Lets hope the weather stay mild a while longer Good luck. Mark

Very Nice!!!!! Congrats!!!!!

RJ thanks, hope you're getting some good hunts in before the end of the year. Good luck. Mark

That Continental Dollar is probably a copy from the 1876 Centennial Exposition...but it could also be a legit dollar pattern coin from 1776. Besides brass and silver, some of them were struck in pewter...Outstanding dig!

Woah excellent digs Mark, can't say I've seen a continental dollar before. I would have a coin expert take a look at it, who knows. Congrats and good luck with the remainder of 2022!

Very nice Mark, glad to see your back on the Silver. That Token is huge, the Silver version must be two ounces in weight. Any way hope the success continues in a heavy form before the weather shuts you down. Trapper

Nice Silvers there Mark! And wow... that big hunk of plated shiny would have made my heart skip a few beats, esp. with the 1776 date! Ohh... and I see you were robbing the cradle with those 1964 Rosies! :lol:

That Continental Dollar is probably a copy from the 1876 Centennial Exposition...but it could also be a legit dollar pattern coin from 1776. Besides brass and silver, some of them were struck in pewter...Outstanding dig!

Thanks Capt. Ok now you've got my hopes up, Ha ha. It is plated copper. Thanks. Mark

Woah excellent digs Mark, can't say I've seen a continental dollar before. I would have a coin expert take a look at it, who knows. Congrats and good luck with the remainder of 2022!

Jeff thank you. I didn't realize there was such a thing as a continental dollar. I thought Fugio was a cent. And when I googled that all I saw was copper one's, with similar but not the same design. Thanks to you and Capt. Silver I googled continental dollar and got an education. I doubt its real. Its plated and you can see a seam on the edge of the coin. Still, very happy with the find. Good luck. Mark

A great assortment of silver👍

Thank you metal. Good luck. Mark

Very nice Mark, glad to see your back on the Silver. That Token is huge, the Silver version must be two ounces in weight. Any way hope the success continues in a heavy form before the weather shuts you down. Trapper

Trapper thank you, hope to squeeze a few more silvers out before the end of the year. Good luck to you sir as well. Mark

Nice Silvers there Mark! And wow... that big hunk of plated shiny would have made my heart skip a few beats, esp. with the 1776 date! Ohh... and I see you were robbing the cradle with those 1964 Rosies! :lol:

Oh man David if that had been silver it would have been a find hard to beat and in contrast the lowly 64 Rosies on the other end. Not complaining, I'll take the 64s. And yes I got a little excited when I felt the weight and realized it was not an aluminum token. Good luck. Mark

Attachments

• hs46.jpg
    hs46.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 122
  • hs47.jpg
    hs47.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 121
Back
Top Bottom