Shovel preference

Draddog

I’ve been using a lesche trowel for several years and love it. I’m definitely not getting any younger and would like to purchase a shovel. I’m new to Richmond VA and looking forward to doing some relic hunting. Thanks for any suggestions......Rex

Root Slayer for me.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    23.6 KB · Views: 640
I like the Predator Tools Barracuda. The blade is right in the sweet spot. Little longer than a Sampson, but not huge like the Ranger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the 31" Lesche Sampson, along with the hand digger.
Both with a lifetime warrenty...can't beat that.

That's the exact combo I use,

The Sampson to dig the plug and the hand tool to cut into the plug or further dig into the hole.

I sometimes use just the hand tool if I feel the target is shallow.

Draddog asked the question I came here for, I am a lady who also isn't getting younger. I am new to detecting and right now am using a White's Digmaster. It's great but there's only so long I can kneel or squat on rocks or pebbled areas digging with the small tool, ouch. I'd like a shovel as well, but weight is important as I am most often on my own. I will check out these suggestions but does anybody know what I should be looking at for lightest? Less time on ground digging is what I'm after 😁

A lot depends on whether you focus on relic hunting or public grounds. A true relic hunter has a lot of levity in shovel length and color. Me, I own the mentioned Sampson 31", along with a Sampson 18". I can get away with one or the other, depending on how busy the parks and places are. BTW, I don't relic hunt myself. I ain't been on my knees detecting but 2-4 percent, over many years. A dedicated relic hunter hunting in open non public ground can easily use the 40", colorful shovels. Jm2c

The barracuda was the one I was considering. Predator tool has so many options.

I am an abusive sick person when it comes to tools.... I have destroyed every shovel I have ever had, except my predator tools one. I pry big rocks, smack it against rocks and trees to clean off the clay soil around me, use it to chop brush out of my way, and yeah i dig with it too sometimes. Best purchase i have ever made. would have saved a couple hundred just buying one the first time instead of trying two or three lowes specials, a whites groundhawg, a lesche sampson (leshe is second place in my book and still capable for most normal none reckless people, though I like the longer blade on my predator better)
you will not regret the predator, one bit of advice is go with a d handle, my only bad idea was the t handle on mine.

Draddog asked the question I came here for, I am a lady who also isn't getting younger. I am new to detecting and right now am using a White's Digmaster. It's great but there's only so long I can kneel or squat on rocks or pebbled areas digging with the small tool, ouch. I'd like a shovel as well, but weight is important as I am most often on my own. I will check out these suggestions but does anybody know what I should be looking at for lightest? Less time on ground digging is what I'm after ��

not positive but I do not think predator is the lightest. lesche Sampson I think was lighter than my predator, but then again I have the rubber foot treads on mine so its hard for me to remember

George Lesche makes all the tools on Predator Tools - so they are all Lesche made along with Lesche tools. I am not 100% positive but it seems to me if you buy a "Lesche" tool on amazon - it's his tool. So you probably can't go wrong with anything Lesche and I recommend his tools as well. I use the model 85 digging knife (tool) and am looking into a shovel - I like The Piranha. BUT I also like the smaller one, jut wondering if I can dig the same depth with that one as the smaller one. Thanks everyone!

Does anyone make an indestructible shovel that is not straight shaft? The angled shovels for trenching at big box stores provide great lift to pop plug but bend easy. All the metal detecting purpose built shovels are straight shaft and I have to bend over too far before any lift occurs.

Draddog asked the question I came here for, I am a lady who also isn't getting younger. I am new to detecting and right now am using a White's Digmaster. It's great but there's only so long I can kneel or squat on rocks or pebbled areas digging with the small tool, ouch. I'd like a shovel as well, but weight is important as I am most often on my own. I will check out these suggestions but does anybody know what I should be looking at for lightest? Less time on ground digging is what I'm after [emoji16]

Quite the username for a lady

After watching some YouTube videos I think I’m gonna try the Phoenix from predator tools. Anybody using the Phoenix?

The barracuda was my 1st choice.... now I’m second guessing myself lol. I’m sure whatever I decide will be sufficient.

Back
Top Bottom