Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Quality Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Detectors and Gear > Advice on Detector Purchase

Old 08-14-2020, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by shellhouse View post
Coil ears on F75 also seemed MUCH weaker and honestly flimsy in comparison, which is not meant as criticism for anyone's experience otherwise.

They must have changed the F75 coil ears over the years as all 3 of my Fisher coils had these support ridges for added strength.

Magnusbob you will like the Equinox. It is a good machine.
Attached Images

Old 08-14-2020, 06:20 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by JimR_TN View post
They must have changed the F75 coil ears over the years as all 3 of my Fisher coils had these support ridges for added strength.

Magnusbob you will like the Equinox. It is a good machine.
Those ears do appear thicker than what I recall on a SE or LTD that I had. They were thin to the point of being concerning on the stock coil (making a "tink" sound picking with a fingernail) and seemed like shiny ABS plastic. Then again, I'm not a plastics expert - need to watch some more AvE videos to check out what I have.

Heeding the warnings on the Nox and especially with a 15x12 coil by getting coil ear supports. This one here does not have any ridges, and I can't recall if the newer 15x12 do or not.

Congrats Magnusbob on the purchase!

Old 08-22-2020, 07:24 PM

Default Equinox 800 is here and already impressing me.

So, my purchase of an Equinox 800 has arrived via Big Boys Hobbies (Very impressive service by the way! Friendly and informative!).

I did a test run in my back yard for only about 1.5 hours and landing a ton of coins. This is extra impressive to me because I had already gone through my back yard with my old F2 for two days previously. So, apparently, this new machine picks up considerably more signals. I'm so pleased.

Fun finds: One 1940D Wheatie, One 1945 Canadian Penny, and a small ring that appears to be garbage (magnetic) but still! The rest is clad.

Signals were strong, and I feel like I'm picking it up quickly. I have my entire front yard to go through and then on to more historic sites and permissions. Very fun.

Thanks again to all that gave their advice.
M
Attached Images

Old 09-03-2020, 02:48 PM
Elite Member

Congrats on the new 800. Good choice!

Old 09-18-2020, 11:26 PM

yep bought it

Old 10-01-2020, 11:12 AM
Supporter

I would not start out with an 800. The 800 has three really great things going for it.
1) super hot, finds the smallest bits of metal. But that is bad since you end up digging a lot of little small stuff you don't need.
2) the 800 can be tailored to almost any conditions. Bad side of that is it is a difficult machine to really learn.
3) it is water proof up to 3 meters. Sometimes it isn't.

Not joking have owned my 800 since march of 2018. I have experienced all of the three items I listed with my 800.

I suggest you getting back into the game with a Vanquish 540, Simplex+ or Garrett's Apex. All are state of the art, but much easier to use and very good detectors.

I own the Vanquish 540 and used to own the Simplexl+. Sold the Simplex for only one reason. The Vanquish has the same tones and TID's as my 800 and finally decided too much trouble to lean new TID's and tones with the Simplex+.

Old 10-01-2020, 02:36 PM
Sponsor

Originally Posted by Magnusbob View post
So, my purchase of an Equinox 800 has arrived via Big Boys
Glad your happy! The Minelab Equinox 800 is as OUTSTANDING Detector for sure!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
405-206-9010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Authorized

Minelab partner of year 2012, Customer service awards '12 and '13.

Old 10-02-2020, 01:33 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by maxxkatt View post
I would not start out with an 800. The 800 has three really great things going for it.
1) super hot, finds the smallest bits of metal. But that is bad since you end up digging a lot of little small stuff you don't need.
2) the 800 can be tailored to almost any conditions. Bad side of that is it is a difficult machine to really learn.
3) it is water proof up to 3 meters. Sometimes it isn't.

Not joking have owned my 800 since march of 2018. I have experienced all of the three items I listed with my 800.

I suggest you getting back into the game with a Vanquish 540, Simplex+ or Garrett's Apex. All are state of the art, but much easier to use and very good detectors.

I own the Vanquish 540 and used to own the Simplexl+. Sold the Simplex for only one reason. The Vanquish has the same tones and TID's as my 800 and finally decided too much trouble to lean new TID's and tones with the Simplex+.
One minute you have no clue what your doing with your 800 and ready to sell it then suddenly your an expert then you go and buy what 2 other detecors and start recommending these other detectors. Are you any better at learning those than the 800 ? Point is try to learn one detector and understand it before you keep trying too give all this advice and convincing someone else not to start out with a machine you dont understand. I bought the 800 and it was so easy to learn. Those other 2 you mentioned might be decent machines for beginners but don't come close to the capabilities of the equinox.

4 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-02-2020, 01:56 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Magnusbob View post
I ordered an Equinox 800 today! I'm very excited to have my MD arrive.

Thanks to everyone for your insight and knowledge!!! It really helped with my decision.

Plus, I'm sure the APEX will no doubt be released IMMEDIATELY as a result. You're welcome. Ha!
Great choice !!

Old 10-03-2020, 10:22 PM

Congrats on your purchase of the 800. I recently just purchased a new Equinox 600, replacing an old White's that I had for years. While the White's is a good detector, the 600 seems much better and easy to learn. Happy hunting.

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-04-2020, 07:33 PM
Elite Member

Another good choice basser. Welcome to the forum. Good luck!

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-06-2020, 11:08 AM

When I started metal detecting I started with a fisher F22 and bought an Equinox 600 as soon as they arrived here in April 2018. Since then I picked up an AT Pro and a Makro Multi Kruzer too. The other detectors are collecting dust because that is how much better I personally like the Equinox. The other detectors are not junk by any means they actually beat the Equinox at certain things. The Pro has better audio and I can distinguish things a little better and the Kruzer and Pro are much more dependable when submerged in the lake as I've flooded 2 Equinoxes already. However the Equinox really shines on ocean beaches and the recovery speed/depth is incredible in old debris filled parks sniffing out copper and silver.

Correction I just read your post later in the thread that you bought a Nox. Congratulations I think you will love it

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-14-2020, 10:06 AM
Sponsor

Originally Posted by Metal Hunting View post
the Equinox really shines on ocean beaches and the recovery speed/depth is incredible in old debris filled parks sniffing out copper and silver.

Correction I just read your post later in the thread that you bought a Nox. Congratulations I think you will love it
This is VERY VERY true! I honestly believe the Equinox does a better job than any beach machine on the market right now. VERY VERY sensitive on small gold and will hit gold chains which many many machines wont.

405-206-9010
Authorized

Minelab partner of year 2012, Customer service awards '12 and '13.