Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Big boys Hobbies
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > Coinshooters and Relic Hunters

Old 01-20-2022, 10:46 PM

Default Went back to an old spot and scored big time

With any open ground ( not covered by leaves) completely frozen here, Iíve been hitting some cellar holes in the woods. Today I went to a spot that Iíve hit before with my dad and didnít have a whole lot of luck. Itís a very early cellar hole that is not on any maps that I have and the last time I was there I managed only 1 button. Now that I have an equinox I was looking for low tones around the cellar that my AT max would have missed. I found a busted up lead button that beeped a 5 on the equinox and then a tombac that beeped a 9 so I figured mission accomplished. This site is absolutely horrible ground for farming and I was figuring that it was probably land that was used by very poor farmers or possibly freed slaves, boy was I wrong. The cellar is on the only flat ground and the rest is hillside that is covered by piles of rocks and boulders. I saw one spot that looked slightly open and I figured Iíd give it a shot thinking maybe Iíd find a button or something. I was working my way downhill and got a 26 signal so Iím excited thinking I probably had a copper. It turned out to be a complete shoe buckle frame with the iron chaps still attached. I was pumped and kept searching. Next signal was a button, then another button, then another fancy button. I kept swinging and hit a 19-20 signal. Out popped the tiny silver disc and I couldnít believe it. I used some of the newly fallen snow to clean it and it turned out to be a 1754 Ferdinand 5 half reale. This is only my second ever reale and I couldnít be happier. I stood up and while still smiling I hit a 28 signal. This one turned out to be a Connecticut copper, in not great shape but I was able to ID it. I ended the day with the reale, the copper, the shoe buckle, a thimble, a very cool round buckle, and 6 buttons. I really canít believe all that came out today because this is some of the worst ground Iíve seen and not sure why anyone would have ever lived here, but Iím glad they did. The picture of the cellar was taken last spring while on a hike with the dogs. Hope the ground stays somewhat thawed and hopefully everyone is having a good winter
Attached Images

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-20-2022, 10:51 PM
Supporter

Wow! Great hunt! Thanks for sharing.

Old 01-20-2022, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by CTpilgrim View post
With any open ground ( not covered by leaves) completely frozen here, Iíve been hitting some cellar holes in the woods. Today I went to a spot that Iíve hit before with my dad and didnít have a whole lot of luck. Itís a very early cellar hole that is not on any maps that I have and the last time I was there I managed only 1 button. Now that I have an equinox I was looking for low tones around the cellar that my AT max would have missed. I found a busted up lead button that beeped a 5 on the equinox and then a tombac that beeped a 9 so I figured mission accomplished. This site is absolutely horrible ground for farming and I was figuring that it was probably land that was used by very poor farmers or possibly freed slaves, boy was I wrong. The cellar is on the only flat ground and the rest is hillside that is covered by piles of rocks and boulders. I saw one spot that looked slightly open and I figured Iíd give it a shot thinking maybe Iíd find a button or something. I was working my way downhill and got a 26 signal so Iím excited thinking I probably had a copper. It turned out to be a complete shoe buckle frame with the iron chaps still attached. I was pumped and kept searching. Next signal was a button, then another button, then another fancy button. I kept swinging and hit a 19-20 signal. Out popped the tiny silver disc and I couldnít believe it. I used some of the newly fallen snow to clean it and it turned out to be a 1754 Ferdinand 5 half reale. This is only my second ever reale and I couldnít be happier. I stood up and while still smiling I hit a 28 signal. This one turned out to be a Connecticut copper, in not great shape but I was able to ID it. I ended the day with the reale, the copper, the shoe buckle, a thimble, a very cool round buckle, and 6 buttons. I really canít believe all that came out today because this is some of the worst ground Iíve seen and not sure why anyone would have ever lived here, but Iím glad they did. The picture of the cellar was taken last spring while on a hike with the dogs. Hope the ground stays somewhat thawed and hopefully everyone is having a good winter
Nice!! Can't help but smile when a reale pops out of the hole!

Old 01-20-2022, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by goldendreams View post
Nice!! Can't help but smile when a reale pops out of the hole!
Iíll have to get ahold of you. This place is huge and there is stuff scattered all over. I may need reinforcements to give it a proper beating

Old 01-20-2022, 11:34 PM
Supporter

Man thatís an awesome read, congrats on the 1/2 reale, buckle and buttons

EQX800, Dos Compadres : 2022 (Total (4/13 to date)) - Clad: $34.26 ($1157.54), Silver coins: 5 (55), Wheats: 9 (174), Gold: 0 (27), Plat: 0 (1), .925 2 (100), Rings: 9 (256), 1922 Peace Dollar, 1919 wheat, 1921 Ten Centavos Filipinas; Chinese cash coin

Old 01-20-2022, 11:41 PM
Elite Member

Gotta love colonial sites.

Old 01-21-2022, 01:35 PM
Supporter

That is some sweet success...congrats!

Oldest coin: 1760 Colonial Half Penny; Oldest US coin: 1787 NJ Copper; Oldest US silver coin: 1811/09 Capped Bust Dime; 2020 FTY Clad: $1,635.36; 2021 FTY Clad: $1,496.91. Most coin amounts found on one single various of days: Quarters-165; Dimes-103 (2Xs); Nickels-53. 2022 FTY Silvers: 18

Old 01-21-2022, 02:11 PM
Elite Member

Congratulations! I'm dying to get into the woods, but I've been down for 2 1/2 weeks with Covid and Pneumonia. Happy Hunting!

Old 01-21-2022, 03:25 PM
Supporter

WOW that is a score!

Old 01-21-2022, 03:38 PM
Elite Member

Absolutely beautiful . And I love the site picture with the stacked-rock wall thing. And The targets just drip with history !

Question: When do you think this site ceased to be habitated ? Is there any new junk at all there ?

Old 01-21-2022, 04:12 PM
Elite Member

Congrats on the reale, CT copper and relics!

Old 01-21-2022, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by Tom_in_CA View post
Absolutely beautiful . And I love the site picture with the stacked-rock wall thing. And The targets just drip with history !

Question: When do you think this site ceased to be habitated ? Is there any new junk at all there ?
I would say this place was all done in the very early 1800ís. There is absolutely no modern trash around so anything that comes up here is old. I only dug a couple .22 casings and not a single shotgun shell which is almost unheard of around here

Old 01-21-2022, 06:11 PM
Headstamp Addict

Congrats one the Colonial era coins and relics. Loved the story. It was a good read.

Old 01-21-2022, 09:43 PM
Supporter

Great hunt! Love the shoe buckle and the reale!

Old 01-21-2022, 09:48 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by CTpilgrim View post
..... There is absolutely no modern trash around so anything that comes up here is old. ...
We have found a few spots like that in CA (stage stops, defunct picnic sites, etc...), and ...... those are most memorable sites.

Each high conductor penny/dime sound has you "holding your breath".

Old 01-21-2022, 10:45 PM
Elite Member

ďFrozenĒ you say? You should teleport over here to southern Wisconsin! The ground is so hard that the ROAD seems soft! Seriously though, itís terrible. I donít know why I live here.

Old 01-22-2022, 09:29 AM
Supporter

Originally Posted by IDXMonster View post
Seriously though, itís terrible. I donít know why I live here.
Kevin, we live here for that one day each year when it's 68 degrees, sunny, no humidity, and no mosquitoes. Perfect!

"My batteries are low and it's getting dark."
Oldest coins: 1847 Large Cent, 1853 Seated Liberty Quarter. 2021 Silver Coins- 10, IHP's- 2. 2022 Silver Coins - 3

Old 01-22-2022, 10:24 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by CallMeGrey View post
Kevin, we live here for that one day each year when it's 68 degrees, sunny, no humidity, and no mosquitoes. Perfect!
People have said to me ďIf it was perfect all the time youíd take it for grantedĒ. No, I definitely would not. But I also get that there are problems no matter where you go, thatís why there are snowbirdsÖchasing ďperfectĒ. Our temp swings are stupidly radicalÖcan be 100 in summer and -20 in the winter. Having that big of a swing takes a toll on the body, we werenít designed for that. Only 2-3 months to go though!

Old 01-22-2022, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by CallMeGrey View post
That is hilarious! Every year I dislike winter more but when itís nice it makes all the misery worth it. My MDing season looks in jeopardy because even the woods are starting to feel like a parking lot. Fingers crossed and hoping for warmer weather and if not I guess Iíll start going ice fishing

Old 01-22-2022, 12:00 PM
Supporter

Awesome finds as you brave the cold! Keep them coming and know that we are out there with ya!