Finds from Pattons Africa campaign training area

TommyJay

Forum Supporter
Winter is the time I switch passions from the coins and relics of WY to rocks, gems and minerals in AZ. There are some gold detecting opportunities here, but the competition is fierce, and it becomes a full time job to find some nuggets here and there. I tend to hunt the washes and campsites for square nails and clad, but for the most part my 800 spend most of the time undisturbed.

One of the best opportunities is to hunt the training areas where Patton honed the skills of his soldiers for the desert warfare of N Africa, and one of those areas isnt too far away. Yesterday I went out to that area to see if I could find where a tank had fired off its .50 cal machine gun so I could find some casings and belt links. I wasnt disappointed.

20220118_124856.jpg

This was the only casing I found (DEEP), but along with the belt links, it put me in the area where a tank had fired its .50 cal. I put a bullet in it for extra coolness!

20220118_170805 (2).jpg

The date stamp 43, for 1943.

20220119_152355 (2).jpg

The collection from belt links, casing, full bullets, steel cores, and the shrapnel that is easy to find.

Thanks for looking, and HH!

Nice Tommy, do know where, and are you able to hunt the camp area's ? Probably some cool finds there as well. Good luck, Mark

That is cool. :thumbsup:

Thank you!

Those are some cool finds! Congratulations!

Thank you!

Cool finds. I remember as a kid in Lake Havasu area finding many of these while out in the desert. Many WWII training sites in AZ.

Thanks, Josh. Yes, and even more in CA.

Nice Tommy, do know where, and are you able to hunt the camp area's ? Probably some cool finds there as well. Good luck, Mark

Thanks, Mark. There is camp Bouse in the area, but Ill choose to leave that one alone. There are smaller camps nearby, and the tank tracks are still clearly visible. Might be some silver coins there, but for now Im content to find these bits of history.

Back
Top Bottom