Random: fishing in the Philippines? Hard travel case for AT Pro?

Bagelbites

Forum Supporter
Hey y'all. This is totally random, but I can't find much info online, so I thought I'd try here.

I'm going to the Philippines in September. Renting a car, and driving around Luzon for a month. Unfortunately I probably won't be treasure hunting, but I will bring my travel rod, as there are tons of lakes, rivers, streams, and of course the ocean. Light tackle, probably 6lb line.

For freshwater, I'll bring spinners, plastics, and maybe some topwater poppers. I have very little saltwater experience. What lures should I bring for just fishing from shore? Some areas will be sandy, some will be rocky. Any advice is appreciated!

If I do decide to bring the AT Pro, any advice for traveling with it? Do they make some kind of hard case for checking it on my flight?

I live on the island of Luzon during the winter. Been there for 18 years. I do have a couple fishing poles. Tried fishing a few times in the rivers with my nephew. Could not catch anything with the baits we use here. Everyone said use shrimp. We got some of them very small shrimp at the market. Used a bobber. Started to catch Talopia. The problem. Most of the rivers are very limited. We don't keep the fish. Just fun to catch.
As far as metal detecting, the beaches are OK to hunt. Now the problem with the beaches. FULL OF TRASH. No one picks there trash up. It is every place. Than there is all the kids all over you. Even trying to take your things out of your pockets. I stopped detecting over there. No one on our island has anything to loose.
Now for driving. Not the best idea. When the cops see Americans driving, they will stop you for what ever they can think of. They only want your money.
They drive like there are nuts. Pull out in front of you trying to cause an accident. You are American, it is your fault. You pay them on the spot. Bend over.
People will walk out in front of you. Don't hit them. You will pay them the rest of THERE LIFE. Make sure they are dead. Now you pay just for the funeral.
If there is any other questions, message me, I will try to help as much as I can.
Also renting a car. Take pictures all over outside and inside. Even open the hood and trunk. Many pictures. Make note of any little thing.
Good luck. KEN

Ken knows

I live on the island of Luzon during the winter. Been there for 18 years. I do have a couple fishing poles. Tried fishing a few times in the rivers with my nephew. Could not catch anything with the baits we use here. Everyone said use shrimp. We got some of them very small shrimp at the market. Used a bobber. Started to catch Talopia. The problem. Most of the rivers are very limited. We don't keep the fish. Just fun to catch.
As far as metal detecting, the beaches are OK to hunt. Now the problem with the beaches. FULL OF TRASH. No one picks there trash up. It is every place. Than there is all the kids all over you. Even trying to take your things out of your pockets. I stopped detecting over there. No one on our island has anything to loose.
Now for driving. Not the best idea. When the cops see Americans driving, they will stop you for what ever they can think of. They only want your money.
They drive like there are nuts. Pull out in front of you trying to cause an accident. You are American, it is your fault. You pay them on the spot. Bend over.
People will walk out in front of you. Don't hit them. You will pay them the rest of THERE LIFE. Make sure they are dead. Now you pay just for the funeral.
If there is any other questions, message me, I will try to help as much as I can.
Also renting a car. Take pictures all over outside and inside. Even open the hood and trunk. Many pictures. Make note of any little thing.
Good luck. KEN

Ken is a good guy to ask any questions on Philippines , has spent a lot of time there. Be sure to bring bug spray and sun screen with you. We have a place about 450 miles south of Ken on the island of Bohol next to the island of Cebu in the central Philippines . Both are beautiful islands and have international airports. Like Ken said the Public beaches are loaded with buried trash , now on the other hand if you go to a resort the beaches are usally kept clean and a lot of rich Europeans , Australians and Chinese love to show off their jewelry. Most of the fishing in our area is done from boats a ways from the island. I have been there a number of times my wife is from Bohol ,Philippines and we have a family home there . If you have any questions feel free to ask me or Ken we will try and help you out. When fishing watch out for sea snakes .

Ken and Dave are both very good for advice on the Philippines based on their own travels there :thumbsup:

…….of course after reading Ken's warnings it might cause you reconsider your travel destination :laughing: (that was good of him to warn you though !)

Guys, thank you for the replies. I've read some horror stories of driving in the Philippines, but I've also read some positive accounts. I've driven in some dicey conditions in foreign countries, and I'm confident I can emerge unscathed. However, the risk is always there and I will take it. For my style of travel, renting a car is the best option.

I'm flying into Clark airport, then driving to La Union, Sagada, Vigan, Baguio, Angeles, Manila, Tagaytay, and Anilao, in that order. Then back to Clark to fly home.

I don't think I'll bring the detector, although I'll probably wish I had when I get there. Oh well! Thanks again for the replies, can't wait for the trip. I'll post some pics when I get back.

Trip to Philippines

Guys, thank you for the replies. I've read some horror stories of driving in the Philippines, but I've also read some positive accounts. I've driven in some dicey conditions in foreign countries, and I'm confident I can emerge unscathed. However, the risk is always there and I will take it. For my style of travel, renting a car is the best option.

I'm flying into Clark airport, then driving to La Union, Sagada, Vigan, Baguio, Angeles, Manila, Tagaytay, and Anilao, in that order. Then back to Clark to fly home.

I don't think I'll bring the detector, although I'll probably wish I had when I get there. Oh well! Thanks again for the replies, can't wait for the trip. I'll post some pics when I get back.

We usally rent a car and driver for the whole day saves on the hassles , if we are traveling with the large extended family we rent one of the Jeepneys they can be rather fun. If you are worried about your good detector just pick up a inexpensive detector , last trip I took a Bounty Hunter Tracker IV with a 4 " coil to hunt the trashy public beach near our home there. I hunt in all metal over there since their modern coins are clad , many old American & Spanish coins are silver , and lots of foreigners there loosing coins and jewelry . If you get the chance hunt tourist beaches best chances for jewelry. One of my relative's boys took a interest in the detector and I sent him one for Christmas so he could find treasure on his island.

I think if you leave your detector home and go somewhere with so much history , you will kick your self in the behind . You are flying in to Clark which has a long history as a American airbase , you might google your other stops to check their history.

Clark airport that you will be using.

A link to the airport you will be landing and departing from with pictures http://crk.clarkairport.com/

When you get to Clark, and get your car, they are very strick. It is a great place. Just north of there are many beach resorts. We have stayed at a few of them. They also have guards there.
Been to the other towns you mention.
Baguio was built by Americans during the war. It was built for there R&R. Take a light jacket there. It does get cool at night. They grow some good strawberries there too.
In Sagada, look for the hanging coffin on the side of the mountain. There is a souvenir shop there, inside, don't know if they still have it or not, SHRUNKEN HEADS. They are real too. They used to be head hunters there.
Angeles : Well what can I say good about that place. That is the town known for the prostitutions. You better use your head there.
Most of the other places are good to visit
Hope you have fun and be careful.
KEN

Kens post

When you get to Clark, and get your car, they are very strick. It is a great place. Just north of there are many beach resorts. We have stayed at a few of them. They also have guards there.
Been to the other towns you mention.
Baguio was built by Americans during the war. It was built for there R&R. Take a light jacket there. It does get cool at night. They grow some good strawberries there too.
In Sagada, look for the hanging coffin on the side of the mountain. There is a souvenir shop there, inside, don't know if they still have it or not, SHRUNKEN HEADS. They are real too. They used to be head hunters there.
Angeles : Well what can I say good about that place. That is the town known for the prostitutions. You better use your head there.
Most of the other places are good to visit
Hope you have fun and be careful.
KEN
looks like you are getting plenty of advice on your trip, keep us posted.

For saltwater (I hope you're not using such a light outfit for the brine) . Something in a 20 pound test line would suffice.
For lures, I'd take a couple, shallow swimming plugs, and a couple lead headed jigs with a bag or two of appropriately sized grub or curly tails. White or chartreuse color. I'd also bring along a few pre-made, 30 pound wire leaders at least 6 inches long. If you keep getting bit off you'll appreciate having them.
For the plugs, something in the 6 inch range will be appropriate I think. Bright silver or red and white. Make sure they're "for saltwater", heavier grade and sized hooks. If you intend to try bait, take some size 2/0, 3/0 stainless hooks and a few 2 or 3 oz weights. Again, I'm assuming you'll be using a heavier grade road/reel combo in the salt. You'll be breaking off 6 pound, if you get even a 5 pound reef fish, he'll be able to spool ya from the beach. Not saying you can't land a very large fish on very light tackle but there's a little more to it than just getting lucky. The right rod, knots, reel, line, spool capacity and fighting technique.
I don't know the common salt water species over there. But if I was going somewhere blind, this would be my bare minimum of equipment.

For fishing, when you get back to where you are staying, WASH the !!!! out of your pole and real. Do not get the inside of your tackle box wet. In time that salt water will destroy everything in their. I done that. Anything with hooks or wire will say, good buy.
Are you taking someone with you.
Ken

For fishing, when you get back to where you are staying, WASH the !!!! out of your pole and real. Do not get the inside of your tackle box wet. In time that salt water will destroy everything in their. I done that. Anything with hooks or wire will say, good buy.
Are you taking someone with you.
Ken

Absolutely Ken! With even high end fishing gear, consider salt water as acid. I fish the keys regularly and its standard procedure, get off the boat and flood everything with a fresh water wash. Anything you get for saltwater, try to get stainless, but still rinse. Not all stainless steel is created equally.
To the OP.....if you get a saltwater rod, longer is better. As long as you can get it on the plane. If not, consider shipping (UPS or the like) an equipment package to your destination. Throw a roll of tape in there to repackage when your finished and ship back. We've done this many times, to date, no problems. Saves you from carrying rod tubes through the airport. It also makes it easier to take more gear.

Back
Top Bottom