• Forum server maintanace tonight.
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

In the last year... What are the stupid things people have said to you, and your clever responses!

Skippy SH13

Forum Supporter
Time to start another thread of "idiot things people say to you, while you're detecting." Also appropriate, would be the responses you've given, that are worth a chuckle!

My personal favorite (I use this one a couple times an outing)...

Stupid question: "Are you looking for metal?"
Funny Answer: "According to my wife... I'm searching for my dignity."

Half the time, it takes them WAYYY longer to get the joke than it should, thus confirming my assessment of the first question.

Your turn!

Skippy

I live in Illinois where Morel mushrooms are abundant, and hunted without prejudice. I was in the woods detecting, and no less than 3 mushroom hunters asked me if I was finding mushrooms with my AT Pro. Uhhhhhh, I don't think it works like that.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

I've had a ton of people tell me that the beach is where to find all the lost gold rings. Really? Gee, I never would have guessed that! Lol! They don't seem to grasp that I might be looking for something besides gold rings.

I'm afraid metal detectorists are only thought of as the stereotypical old geezer detecting on the beach. They have no idea that there are 1700's coins and relics right under their feet and that's what I'm actually looking for in the woods.

Wise guys at the beach get I'm just finding hypodermic needles and fish hooks.

Than I look at their bare feet and tell them to put on some shoes.

Ruins their day.

I often take the train when I go out detecting, so every now and then I come across a person who has some weird and unusual things to say about my detector.

One group of kids asked if you could watch Youtube on it. I thought surely they're joking, so I just said 'yeah of course', to which they replied 'really? I wouldn't have thought that' in a very serious tone. I also explained to them it has all the TV channels built in so whenever you're bored you can watch TV as you go :lol:

One crazy old Russian lady (as I was later told by the other people in the train who regularly take the same train as her) asked if that was a hoverboard!?! I asked her 'how would that work', and she explained to me you sit on top of it (I suppose the screen) and steer it using the thing (I suppose the coil) down the bottom. She even wanted me to demonstrate! On the train! :lol: I just explained to her what it is, and what it does. So every time she sees me she calls me 'Dynamite Boy' (I think she thinks I look for unexploded bombs) :lol:

I live in Illinois where Morel mushrooms are abundant, and hunted without prejudice. I was in the woods detecting, and no less than 3 mushroom hunters asked me if I was finding mushrooms with my AT Pro. Uhhhhhh, I don't think it works like that.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

:laughing:

maybe they think the mushrooms are high enough in iron content :lol:

I have read where some breakfast cereals are high enough in iron content that crushed up cereal flakes can actually be attracted to a very strong magnet :shock:

In past years I've had a number of dumb things asked of me and some rude remarks but can happily say that in the past year I've had ZERO stupid remarks. We'll see what this year brings.:?:

I have been asked on numerous occasions, " Found any old Indian arrowheads with that thing?" I say, no but when I discover that first metal arrowhead, I will be rich for sure.:laughing:

I have been asked on numerous occasions, " Found any old Indian arrowheads with that thing?" I say, no but when I discover that first metal arrowhead, I will be rich for sure.:laughing:

The only problem are that there are copper points in the Upper Michigan area.

The only problem are that there are copper points in the Upper Michigan area.
I am in southwest Ohio. Arrowheads found here are made from flint. I'll be sure not to use that comeback whenever I hunt in the UP:roll:

I've had a ton of people tell me that the beach is where to find all the lost gold rings. Really? Gee, I never would have guessed that! Lol! They don't seem to grasp that I might be looking for something besides gold rings.

I'm afraid metal detectorists are only thought of as the stereotypical old geezer detecting on the beach. They have no idea that there are 1700's coins and relics right under their feet and that's what I'm actually looking for in the woods.

yes! they think that because it is mostly true! most think just old f**ks do it!
really! ..troubled people! .it's ok! i don't care what others think!

(h.h.!)
j.t.

It Just So Happens... :laughing:

Attachments

• arrow.jpg
    arrow.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 440
It Just So Happens... :laughing:

:?: Found in the hole along with the dime? Okay, that has been known to happen. Marbles have also been found alongside coins as well. Let me guess, in upper Michigan, the kids played with copper marbles;). You guys are killing me here. I suppose you need to be from my neck of the woods to get the sarcastic humor about a metal arrowhead being found here. I will say it again, the Indians from this area used flint for making tools, arrowheads, etc. Amazon is having a sale on boxes, each containing a sense of humor. Some people in this thread need to order one.:lol:

Did that one get through?

Last edited:
Do you work for the city? ‘Only when they pay me.’
Are you looking for gold? ‘Why, did you loose some?’
Did you just find that? ‘No, it found me?’
Do you enjoy metal detecting? ‘Nope, been doing it for years, just hate it!’
As I am digging up a coin...Have you ever found anything? ‘Nothing yet’

I have been asked if I am hunting for clams or seaworms while hunting the waters edge.. and I reply yes then go back to hunting.

Over Thanksgiving Break (I’m a teacher): “Man, they got you workin’ on the holiday?” Me, “Hey it’s time and a half.” :lol:

—I do keep a mini led yellow light bar rolling on the cab of my white truck, keeps most away in the older parts of town!:cool3:

Lol I feel bad cause the only silly question I got turned into a permission! The owner of a church saw me getting my metal detector out and came by and said "Thanks for coming! We've been stopped up for a week!" I asked him what he was talking about and he asked "You're from the water department right?" After explaining to him that I was just a hobbyist, I offered to locate his pipes and mark them for him so He knew where to show the REAL water company workers haha got a permission to come back anytime after that.

Back
Top Bottom