In the last year... What are the stupid things people have said to you, and your clever responses!

I always point to my headphones and in a loud voice say "I can't hear you"

I live in Illinois where Morel mushrooms are abundant, and hunted without prejudice. I was in the woods detecting, and no less than 3 mushroom hunters asked me if I was finding mushrooms with my AT Pro. Uhhhhhh, I don't think it works like that.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Obviously, they've been eating some other mushrooms. :wow:

R5

I always point to my headphones and in a loud voice say "I can't hear you"

I can do that in the Winter. In the summer, I run a Z-Lynk box to my AT Max, and just plug in my apple headphones. It's a little harder to do (people either buy it fully, or just look at you like you're an idiot, if you point to them... either way, I'm fully committed, and just pretend I can't hear. LOL)

Skippy

1. Whats the best thing you ever found? "my wife"
2. Whats the most expensive thing you ever found? "my wife"

strick

I always have people say “If you found a ring today, it was mine!”

I simply say “THANKS!”

Or “I found it yesterday. Guy at the pawn store only gave me $6 for it. You need to buy better jewelry!”

I was squatting digging a plug and a @20-year-old asked if I'd fallen. I'm 55, not 85...

I had a Lady approach me and she appeared to be very concerned. She asked me if I was able to make a living with that thing. I stifled a laugh and explained that it was just a hobby that I enjoyed. Her concern kept me from making a smart Azz answer.

" What cha looking for? "...." Peace and quiet".. oh.
"Find anything?"... hold out a handful of trash... oh.
"Did you find any treasure? " I'm married to him."...oh.

I was detecting along a sidewalk when I noticed an old Asian lady cross to the other side of the street. Her Granddaughter came up to watch. "She thinks you are looking for lamdmines." she said.

Poor lady.

I had a Lady approach me and she appeared to be very concerned. She asked me if I was able to make a living with that thing. I stifled a laugh and explained that it was just a hobby that I enjoyed. Her concern kept me from making a smart Azz answer.

That was very nice that she was so concerned and also very good that you appreciated her concern enough to give her a simple plain answer. :thumbsup:

Now IF it was instead some smart aleck asking in a demeaning way you could have replied (kidding in fun) something like "you didn't see my Corvette parked back there ?" :laughing:

It's only June so there's plenty of time left this year for some "dope" to ask me a silly question or make a rude comment. Haven't had one in a long time so I'll repeat my all time favorite...……...While out detecting one evening a guy comes by walking his dog and makes the remark : What are you looking for, money for your next meal? This got me really P.O'd so my response was: No, I'm looking for the key to your wife's bedroom, she gave it to me the other night and I lost it. He took off without another word.

I've had a ton of people tell me that the beach is where to find all the lost gold rings. Really? Gee, I never would have guessed that! Lol! They don't seem to grasp that I might be looking for something besides gold rings.

I'm afraid metal detectorists are only thought of as the stereotypical old geezer detecting on the beach. They have no idea that there are 1700's coins and relics right under their feet and that's what I'm actually looking for in the woods.

good!..don't tell 'em!

(h.h.!)
j.t.

1) I hate when kids come up and ask if they can have the coins I find.
2) Several times I've been asked how many arrowheads I've found.
3) One time on a Panama City, FL playground I told a woman she shouldn't let her kids run around barefoot in the sandy playground and I showed her the dozen nails and screws I had collected that morning. She replied, "Don't tell me what to do with my kids...why don't you keep using your magnet to lift the rest of the nails out." :laughing:

1) I hate when kids come up and ask if they can have the coins I find.
2) Several times I've been asked how many arrowheads I've found.
3) One time on a Panama City, FL playground I told a woman she shouldn't let her kids run around barefoot in the sandy playground and I showed her the dozen nails and screws I had collected that morning. She replied, "Don't tell me what to do with my kids...why don't you keep using your magnet to lift the rest of the nails out." :laughing:

That's too bad she treated you that way. I do that where I'm at.. lots of rusty nails in the totlot sand but I don't say much to anybody around here cuz this is the West Coast and they just don't care or they are just nasty.

Back
Top Bottom