• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Old Copper Cleanup

RichieSoprano

Again, I don't know how to post pics. I found a 1 1/4 inch medallion yesterday that was severely dirty/corroded. Could not see anything after a rinse except what appeared to be....of all things...an Egyptian cartouche. Knowing it was likely just a souvenir from Egypt given the history of the farm I was detecting, I figured I'd give it a go...but what to use? While pondering I was busy washing my hands in the kitchen sink. I was using 7th Generation plant-based fragrance free dish soap(I was overexposed to pesticide 7 yrs ago and can no longer tolerate fragrances as they are chemically similar to pesticide). I picked up the medallion and rubbed lightly with my finger which has some soap on it. It improved! So, I did more...and then I wondered if a SOFT toothbrush would help...or hurt? Again, with nothing really to lose I started a brisk but gentle scrub. The verdigris began to dissolve before my eyes. It foamed green and fell away under the faucet! I then used a toothpick and it was amazing...it just kept coming off. While the actual corrosive effects are some of the copper over the years being buried, the medallion was perfectly "readable." Please try it on a greened up old penny you're not too worried about, and if you do, please post some pics of before and after. I hope you get just half the results I did. And no I don't work for the soap company. HH and EC(easy cleaning).

Back
Top Bottom