Amazing pocket spill! Lot's of pics,

John W.H.

Elite Member
Went out thursday morning to get another hunt in before the ground was too frozen too dig. It was almost impossible to dig in any exposed dirt areas and I worked hard to dig a few wheats just a couple inches down! :hammerin: In the thin grass I got a nice sounding 10-44 on the E Trac and decided to investigate. After struggling to cut a plug in the icy soil, out popped a merc from a few inches down,

picture.php

picture.php

After fighting the ground for a couple more wheats I headed for the thicker grass hoping for easier digging. The first couple inches were frozen but it was better to dig. After a wheat and a few clads I was ready to give up. As I wandered towards my car I got a jumpy 11-41, 12-43 showing about 4 inches down. Thinking "I'll dig this signal and leave" I dug down and when I removed a handfull of dirt, this is what I saw,

picture.php

I got excited thinking "cool, a couple barber dimes and a penny", but as I pulled more dirt out, the coins kept coming! :shock:

picture.php

When I got done collecting all the coins, there was one indian penny, two V-nickels, six barber dimes and one seated dime!

picture.php

I checked for any stragglers and covered the hole and went home. I got my oldest US silver to date, 1885 plain seated dime, Most silver coins I've ever dug in one hole, oldest pocket spill, and a dime trifecta all in one hunt! :lol:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Still hoping to get out a couple more times before the ground is just too hard.
Happy Hunting!!

WTg what a sweet spot you found there all from a small area,congrats on your HAUL and HH and good luck on your next hunt.

Which town were you hunting in for this? It is a very nice spill. I would be thrilled beyond belief to find something similar.

I hope it wasn't the same park I pulled my 1802 DBLC ;)

That's awesome score!!! I'm amazed finds like that still exist.. Hey my sister lives in Watertown on the Newton line. Congrats again!!! HH

Just think John, back in the day you could buy a lot with that coin spill... nowadays you could buy a popsickle...if your lucky. lol

Nice finds John.

Back
Top Bottom