Cleaned some Mercs baking soda, foil method **UPDATE: tumbled, NICE! **

Bonesquat

Elite Member
Here is the before and after pictures of the baking soda foil method. Not sure which I like better. The before or after. I think the baking soda trick caused some bubbling and pitting which ruined the coins, but they were common dates so not a big deal to me. Still stinks though.

UPDATE: Wasn't happy with overall results, so put the mercs in some aquarium gravel with toothpaste and water and let the tumbler do it's magic. WOW!!! What a difference. Last two pics are of the final end results. They don't look so great in pics but in person they look awesome.

Attachments

• CAM_0769.jpg
    CAM_0769.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 1,143
  • CAM_0770.jpg
    CAM_0770.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 1,217
  • CAM_0853.jpg
    CAM_0853.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 1,214
  • CAM_0854.jpg
    CAM_0854.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 1,097
  • CAM_0856.jpg
    CAM_0856.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 949
  • CAM_0857.jpg
    CAM_0857.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 941
Last edited:
I like the after. Just from the pics it looks like the bubbling and pitting may already have been there, and the cleaning just makes it noticable.

They both look like they have a circle mark on the reverse. Did you hold them in place using a circle shaped clamp or is that just coincidence?

I'm telling you the best way to clean silver coins is just to moisten your thumb and index finger, get some baking soda on them and rub the coin between your fingers. Cleans silver better than anything I've seen and it's quick and easy.

I'm telling you the best way to clean silver coins is just to moisten your thumb and index finger, get some baking soda on them and rub the coin between your fingers. Cleans silver better than anything I've seen and it's quick and easy.

Tried that, also used a tumbler with baking soda. Didn't work out so well.

The pitting shows because after you remove the gunk on the coin
it reveals an unstable surface. The gunk was protecting the coin
from further damage.

Since you don't have anything to lose with these dimes. Take a pencil eraser and rub the coin until it shines up like new.

Also by the lines in you palm I can see that you will be finding silver on July 25th, 2011.

You screwed up big time!

Dude! That 1944 is an extremely rare WWII cross mintage die variety one of only two or three known!! aaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhaaaaaaaa :lol::lol::lol: I do like that Palm Reader thing though.

Since its been over a year since I found a silver coin, I probably shouldnt even comment but I always found that ammonia and or some Dawn seem to work really well. The pencil eraser thing works good too.

I am curious about the aluminum foil / baking soda thing...havent heard that one yet.

Lol Mykie - I hope I find some silver in July! so far June has been good to me.

I know taking pics of coins in hand is lame but it's the best I can do atm. :D

The tin foil and baking soda method works great on silver, but only use it on non-key varieties/dates. After I use this method, I will melt a black crayon onto both sides of the coin and polish with a soft cloth. The crayon will give it an aged look and will bring out the details of the coin. Here is an example. I didn't take a before shot but trust me, I thought the coin was toast before cleaning....

Attachments

• slq.jpg
    slq.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 851
Since you don't have anything to lose with these dimes. Take a pencil eraser and rub the coin until it shines up like new.

Also by the lines in you palm I can see that you will be finding silver on July 25th, 2011.

I don't think he found any silver yesterday.

these are salt water finds right? mine don't come out of the ground looking that destroyed... I do most the damage myself :lol:

I will melt a black crayon onto both sides of the coin and polish with a soft cloth. The crayon will give it an aged look and will bring out the details of the coin... trust me

this crayon idea is interesting... I might do this and check it out

we do trust you
jackchief.jpg

oh yea!
101_0681.jpg
101_0682.jpg

baking soda and aluminum foil method leaves the metallic silver in place

the baking soda and aluminum foil method leaves the metallic silver in place and only releases sulphur, unlike other methods which remove some silver. Theoretically, it would be the best method to clean silver without doing damage. I agree that the pits and bubbles were there already.

Back
Top Bottom