1801 Large Cent

redmule

Elite Member
I found a 1801 large cent on thursday and it has been soaking in olive oil with out any luck in removing the hard crud. Has any one else found any thing that I can use to clean it with. Thank you.

I put my old coppers in my tumbler and they turn out great and don't loose any detail. I do them in half hour sessions.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 449
Peroxide heated in the microwave for 1 minute. You need to remove all of the oil before you do this though.

Heat peroxide first
Drop coin in and let it bubble for 2 hours or so
Repeat with new heated peroxide if necessary

I've found peroxide to make large cents look worse afterward. It works really good on indians and wheaties though.

I would stick with the olive oil. Sometimes I soak my keepers for weeks- taking them out every few days and using a toothpick to clear what I can. Slow and steady wins the race for me. GL and HH. Matt

Make sure it is 100% olive oil. Not any of that "extra virgin" !!!!. That stuff is weak at best and a new study is out that a major percentage of olive oil out there is fake.

Google that for some interesting reading.

Those came out great. I remember reading this before, but appreciate the reminder. Now I am going to focus my energy on digging a large cent.

LOL, it took me about a half hour of going over old posts to try and find it.:laughing: Put yourself in the right locations and large cent will happen. There's nothing quite like seeing the edge of a large cent in a pile of dirt.:yes: Good luck.

Pics would go a long way in helping you decide what's your best choice for cleaning. Cleaning old coppers has to be done on a case by case basis. Here is a write up I did a while back on how I clean most of my coppers. Good luck.

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showpost.php?p=1512894&postcount=5

My wife's camera does not do close ups on small items. I tryed using vaseline and not much change in the coins appereance . The back side looks ok put the face side is very poor.

ill agree with the olive oil at stores being mixed with other oils. i found out a cool way to test the oil. fill a shot glass about 1/3 full and put it in the fridge. if it turns into a soild its pure olive oil. if it doesnt solidify its mixed with other oils.

LOL, it took me about a half hour of going over old posts to try and find it.:laughing: Put yourself in the right locations and large cent will happen. There's nothing quite like seeing the edge of a large cent in a pile of dirt.:yes: Good luck.

Well what do you know....today was the next time out for me and I finally did get to see that big green curved edge in the dirt! Nothing like some focus and large cent vibes...thanks man. I will post pics later.....

Back
Top Bottom