Cleaning old silver coins???

robertj298

I've always thought it best not to try to clean old collectible silver coins other than to rinse and lightly brush with water. I'm wondering if there is a better way to clean without hurting the value of the coin? I posted this photo of a half dime I found 10 years ago and one of the best condition old coins I've found. I'm wondering if I should just leave it alone or try getting it a little cleaner?

Attachments

• IMGP0445.jpg
    IMGP0445.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 658
Cleaner? That looks perfect! I wouldn't DARE touch it. Once you remove the patina you can't get it back. I promise you'll regret having cleaned it..If you want it shiny or to lose the 'dullness' use gel toothpaste and lightly rub it in your hands. I'm not recommending it...only if you want to ruin the coin's value and 'how you remembered it-ness'.

Cleaner? That looks perfect! I wouldn't DARE touch it. Once you remove the patina you can't get it back. I promise you'll regret having cleaned it..If you want it shiny or to lose the 'dullness' use gel toothpaste and lightly rub it in your hands. I'm not recommending it...only if you want to ruin the coin's value and 'how you remembered it-ness'.

I really don't want it shiny or anything like that but if you notice it looks like on certain places there still seems to be caked on dirt and I'm wondering if that can be removed without hurting the value of the coin.

I would agree - don't clean that one at all. The little bits of caked on dirt won't bother a collector. I will admit that I will occasionally clean a *non-key* Merc. Some times a buried coin will have an uneven or mottled tarnish, and I use a little baking soda in water to even it up. I use lots of water so the baking soda sort of dissolves, and rub with clean fingers.

I really don't want it shiny or anything like that but if you notice it looks like on certain places there still seems to be caked on dirt and I'm wondering if that can be removed without hurting the value of the coin.

That small amount of dirt wouldn't prevent me from giving you a fair price for it based on the grade. If you're that set on removing the dirt, let it sit in distilled water for a very long time. Or you can try freezing it or boiling it repeatedly. That should break up the dirt.

Back
Top Bottom