Mystery Coin Solved!

whitesmd

Several days ago I posted a couple of photos of a LC and a mystery coin I had dug on a hunt. The mystery coin baffled me---and those of you who tried to help. The only clues I had were thast it was about the size of a nickel and on my XLT it rang in around 20-22 with some jumping to higher numbers.

I decided to mess with the picture this morning using Photoshop. By adjusting some of the hues and applying other tweaks I am now certain it is a V Nickel. Take a close look at the adjusted picture and see what you think. It is still difficult but if you compare the straight lines in relationship to the star at the top and factor in the placement of the top it looks like a V to me.

What say you?!

Attachments

• mysterySOLVED.jpg
    mysterySOLVED.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 404
Hmmmm....I don't know...I kind of see the Virgin Mary...(I am Catholic, OF COURSE I see the Blessed Mother!):grin:

Looks like a V to me also . Great bit of magic and detective work you did there .

do you remember those posters at the mall?? the ones you were suppose to stare at till you saw a sail boat or something??? I never saw anything on those posters. Anyway, cool "CSI" approach to figuring out your mystery coin, although I'd be really impressed if you had come up with the date and who lost it!!!!

I had the same story with a V nickle I found with an XLT about a year ago. It took a little work to make out what it was.

Congrats!

I have a V nickle that looks like that too.

I recovered an old V nickle from a porch area where a pre 1900 house stood. Wierd how they disintegrate when buried. The bust still has an outline but is lower than the area surrounding it. And on the back where something layed aganist it there is a 1/8" band that is wide enough to ID it as a V Nickle.
Maybe someday I'll post a pick. Happy Trails, Woodstock

I would say

I would use electroysis on that mate,still cant make that out,you could soak it in olive oil for a few week's,then you might have a better view,Earl

do you remember those posters at the mall?? the ones you were suppose to stare at till you saw a sail boat or something??? I never saw anything on those posters. Anyway, cool "CSI" approach to figuring out your mystery coin, although I'd be really impressed if you had come up with the date and who lost it!!!!

Would you believe that when I had the image blown up in photoshop I found myself staring at it and my eyes were crossing just like when I would look at those 3D posters. And, I thought I saw Betty White! (OK, made up that last part!)

It being all crusty and green like that, I think it's a Hilary Clinton memorial token from a roadside gift-shop.

It does look like an upside down V tho....I see Barber dime too...look for the chin

Back
Top Bottom