A little help with my first

bscottd

I have been lurking on the forums, checking out online dealers, and watching You Tube videos for about two weeks. I think I know what will get me started but I would appreciate a little guidance or if it is warranted a 'What are you thinking" response. First a little background.

I live in the Missouri Ozarks, the soil is hard, rocky, and thin. There are rivers, creeks and streams but no salt water for a thousand miles. There are many old farm steads and abandoned home places, old country schools and churches. I am sure there is good hunting out there with relics and coins. There is also an amazing amount of trash in those old farms and country areas. I can't say for certain but probably 90% of my hunting would be on land and maybe 10% in or near water.

I have recently retired so find myself with some time and want to get stated soon detecting. Being retired means I am not destitute but I can't justify a large expense to get started. My reading and looking have lead me to believe the Nokta Simplex+ with ear phones would be a good fit for me. Everyone says it is easy to learn and easy to use. It is a beginner machine but seems quite capable. I like that it is waterproof though I may never submerge it. I like that the Nokta pinpointer will link with the headphones. I am not sure how good the pinpointer actually is, maybe someone could fill me in on that.

I am trying to get set up for about $500 total, machine, pinpointer and digger tool. There is now a promo for the Simplex+ WPH that includes an extra coil. V24 I believe that is a little smaller than the one on the machine. The cost is $339 it seems to me to be a good deal. Do you think then that I can come in at about $500 total? Also I have seen mention of the sponsors here and deals available. Do you think they might make a better deal on such a lower price unit and accessories?

I want to try to make a good choice starting out, if then in a year or two I really like the hobby I may purchase a higher level machine and keep the Simplex as a back up. If I decide yeah this is neat but I really don't like it that much then I won't have money regrets.

I would really appreciate your thoughts and any guidance you could give. If you really think that I am all wet and wrong then please tell me. I am a big boy and I have been all wet and wrong many times. Thank you all for letting me join and thank you for all the great info this forum provides. Scott

Call the sponsors on the forum and talk to them as to deals. A lot of folks do like the simplex. I only know what i have read. The folks who sponsor this forum will do their best to earn your business. When you sign on to the forum you will see list all sponsors on the upper right side of the page.

May I say Vanquish 440? No water for miles might mean the Vanquish's Multi frequency to shine. And that's around 250$ shipped if you call a sponsor here. So around 80 dollars saved, and a good garrett carrot + lesche combo + pouches, good headphones, and all that will go right under 500$ even if you go top notch.

My 0.02% of a dollar (get it, 0.02% is 2 cents :lol:).

Josh

That Simplex deal with the “free” coil is really hard to beat. I tried the Simplex for a month and really liked it. I wanted to know if it was worth the money and what it was like. I have to say, I was totally impressed and could only find fault with the flimsy lower shaft. Otherwise, it is worth way more than the asking price. Nokta Makro’s current pinpointer choices are really good and work as advertised.

I really like the Vanquish models too BUT, in my opinion, the Simplex has more of the features that you would need from what you describe. I have used a Simplex in a bed of nails situation and it worked very well. The Vanquish is not made for that type of hunting. For just coin and jewelry in wide open parks, playgrounds, sports fields, and occasional trips to a saltwater beach, the Vanquish. If you add relic hunting and water hunting to that list, the Simplex would definitely be my choice. I have owned or currently use a Simplex, Vanquish, XP Deus and Equinox and hunted in all of those scenarios. The Simplex is a very good detector for sure and way beyond an entry level detector.

That is a good deal and the sp24 is very nice. I paid $339 for the detector with WHP and they added the pulse dive pointer.

But i dislike that pointer, way too big. Buttons too stiff. It is designed to pair with a little coil for diving. But it does pair with the phones.

I prefer my Garrett.

While I have heard great things about the Vanquish, I've never owned one. With that said, I've owned my Simplex for a little over a year and I think, for the money, it's one of the most underrated machines on the market. I'm sure whatever you decide, you'll be happy. Good luck!

I pulled the trigger on a Simplex+ WHP and a pulse pin pointer. I ordered from one of the sponsors and it should, he said, ship out today. I considered the Vanquish 440 and the Garret ace 400 but in the end the Simplex just called out to me. Thanks to everyone for all your help!

I pulled the trigger on a Simplex+ WHP and a pulse pin pointer. I ordered from one of the sponsors and it should, he said, ship out today. I considered the Vanquish 440 and the Garret ace 400 but in the end the Simplex just called out to me. Thanks to everyone for all your help!

Congrats on the new detector. I had a Simplex and the SP24 when it first came out. I never took it off the machine. With a free coil that is an awesome deal on a great detector. I think you will be happy. Looking forward to seeing what you can find. Happy hunting!

Call the sponsors on the forum and talk to them as to deals. A lot of folks do like the simplex. I only know what i have read. The folks who sponsor this forum will do their best to earn your business. When you sign on to the forum you will see list all sponsors on the upper right side of the page.

You often get a better deal or some extras from one of the dealers on here by calling and letting them know you are a forum member. They can't advertise their best price due to agreements with the manufacture.

Congrats, you will like the machine. With 2 coils you will find it easier to swap them if you have each coil on their own lower shaft.

With that in mind it is a good time to spend a few dollars more for the carbon fiber shaft, it is lighter and stiffer. Looks good too.

Another thing you might find helpful is the Andy Sabisch book on the Simplex+.

Online you will find it ranging in price from $16.95 to $22. Sometimes shipping is extra.

I bought my copy from his website for $16.95, shipped free and autographed. Lots of good tips to be found in the book.

Congrats on the simplex. I have owned one, and since then I was hunting mostly land, waterproofness wasn't needed for ME. That's the sole reason that a changed to the vanquish, the simplex is an absolute beast on those coins. Not the holy grail, but top 10 easily. :D Happy hunting!

Josh

Congrats on your simplex, be patient and learn it, I'm sure you will have lots of fun with it!
I recommend using a sharp narrow hand shovel for digging. Mine is from Home depot.:yes:

Back
Top Bottom