Don’t Forget To Check Behind the Port-o-Pot!!

AirmetTango

Forum Supporter
I’ve rediscovered park hunting after having some good success in my last several hunts - I find myself seeking out older parks in the local area with renewed interest now that I’ve proven to myself that I really can still find some very interesting and fun targets in these places that I’ve been avoiding. Plus, they’re perfect for when I only have a couple hours to hunt and other permissions aren’t available as an option. Today was one of those days, and I decided to try a park in a nearby town that I’ve hunted once or twice before with previous detectors. Never found much on those previous hunts except a couple of Wheats and clad.

This hunt started out pretty mundane also...some clad and the standard park junk. But then a Wheat spiced things up a bit, followed by a deep signal that ended being a piece of an old oil lamp about 9” down...interesting! But then I went back to clad and not many diggable signals.

After a little while I decided to move to a section of the park I knew I hadn’t hunted before...yep, straight behind the Port-o-potties! :lol: There were a couple old trees there, and I knew from old aerial photos that this was likely once an active part of the park.

My very first signal after walking up a short embankment was a hard hit in the copper penny range...it indicated shallow, so I cut a small plug expecting a copper Memorial, but was surprised to see Wheat stalks from just a couple inches down! But the real surprise was on rescanning the hole and realizing there was more!! And that's when I popped out a 1942 Merc! Cool old shallow spill...and it produced a winner for my “Guess my next silver” contest! Congrats to Stiffwrists on the winning entry!!

7737B760-D5C9-425D-9176-F2F8E3D25B24.jpg

I slowed down to a near crawl, but didn’t turn up much other than more clad and one other Wheat, but it was also literally just below the surface...less than 2” depth.

After an hour, I was ready to wrap up and head home, but I realized I hadn’t detected around the last old tree immediately behind the Port-o-pots yet (subconsciously avoiding the smell, I’m sure!). “Ehhh, may as well give it a quick scan,” I thought to myself.

Well, right at the base of the tree I swept over a clear, no-doubt-about-it quarter signal, and it was pretty shallow. Fully expecting a modern quarter, I turned over a scoop of soil, and immediately saw the rim of the quarter sandwiched between two dirt clods....and it was clearly not clad!! Considering the 1940s Wheaties and the ‘42 Merc I had already dug, I assumed it was going to be a Washington, but I allowed myself a brief hope that it might be a Standing Liberty.

DD22B219-310E-4EC5-82CD-1F54D4510864.jpg

413CA08B-6ED2-4059-9464-68A4116FE0B8.jpg

Rinsing the coin down with my spray bottle, I was incredulous to see the distinctive Lady Liberty of a Barber begin to appear as the dirt slid away!! :shock: I actually had to spray so much, I ran out of water!! That was a lot of caked dirt, and quarters have a deceptively large surface area! 1894 Barber quarter, with some really nice detail!

1BC1299D-DDCD-45FD-B8A1-6CF2FE7142B5.jpg

B0EED977-4560-43E2-A5B6-1BAC928EF4CF.jpg

0BB3F8DB-DE78-469E-BA14-C6705A217245.jpg

I’ve suddenly caught fire with quarters - I had never found a quarter older than a Washington in my 2 1/2 years of detecting, and now I’ve added a Seated and a Barber in less than a week! And boy am I glad I took the extra couple minutes to swing around that one last tree!

Attachments

• 1DFA46C6-4536-4C69-84F5-6C0B50418E8C.jpg
    1DFA46C6-4536-4C69-84F5-6C0B50418E8C.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 552
  • 1446A574-7CEB-4994-8D0E-AD57C7A7015A.jpg
    1446A574-7CEB-4994-8D0E-AD57C7A7015A.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 446
  • 2BC43E42-CF05-49D9-8BEE-AFB06EC63436.jpg
    2BC43E42-CF05-49D9-8BEE-AFB06EC63436.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 453
  • 19BACC43-C5F6-4C29-88A0-519B610481E7.jpg
    19BACC43-C5F6-4C29-88A0-519B610481E7.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 449
  • FF7B759B-1744-4904-89B4-D18C6B61AA12.jpg
    FF7B759B-1744-4904-89B4-D18C6B61AA12.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 463
  • ECB8D085-DAC8-48DA-AFF1-462CE7231F2C.jpg
    ECB8D085-DAC8-48DA-AFF1-462CE7231F2C.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 500
  • E89248FF-DD8A-454A-809B-1AB5361D014D.jpg
    E89248FF-DD8A-454A-809B-1AB5361D014D.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 438
Excellent writeup. Great in-situ reveal pix ! Thanx for bringing us along .

Awesome AT ! I'll echo what Tom said .
I'm curious , while you were thinking outside the box , was someone stinking inside the box ? Congrats on some great finds !

That's some good shxxt there . lol Nice hunt Ben, congrats on the silver and wheats. That Barber quarter is sweet. I have been hunting old parks lately also, a ton of trash but the potential to give up something old is always there. Good luck on the SLQ. HH Mark

Looks like you definitely had a great day. Two different quarters in one week. You're getting them checked off your list. Next a standing liberty with a date, that would be amazing.

You got some great pics there and finds. But a hardcore detectorist would have thought to himself "If I'm finding this outside around the port-a-potty , I better check INSIDE it as well".

You got some great pics there and finds. But a hardcore detectorist would have thought to himself "If I'm finding this outside around the port-a-potty , I better check INSIDE it as well".

LOL that is a great comment and sage advice.

AT, nice job sniffing out the good stuff....or should I say "smelling" out :lol:

What a great find and post! It makes a guy wonder..knowing how Humans are and all, preferential to topography and whatnot...Inclined to do certain things in certain areas......was some guy dropping trow and pitching a loaf behind that tree when he lost a whole weeks pay? Is this a Fairgrounds site? Did he eat some food on a stick from a opossum street meat vendor? Or deep fried butter sticks or sumpthin? WTH happened for this poor guy to lose a Bar-B-Q at the base of this tree?

I know folks lose all sorts of stuff in the process of offloading colonic dunnage...sometimes in a uncontrollable hurry...remarkable that the ancient and modern dumpage sites are in such tight parameters...

Humans are funny?...certain bodily functions simply cannot be ignored or delayed...Like when GHWB puked into the lap of the Japanese President?...Its like hey, WTH did you expect? You are the one who made me eat this raw squid...Here you go Buddy! Take this home and feed it to your cats! You got off easy!...I coulda let it fly from the other end crapspackle.....

That’s some great work there, love that barber and congrats too on your seated as well. Around here those port-o-poops smell too bad to hunt near!

Humans are funny?...certain bodily functions simply cannot be ignored or delayed...Like when GHWB puked into the lap of the Japanese President?...Its like hey, WTH did you expect? You are the one who made me eat this raw squid...Here you go Buddy! Take this home and feed it to your cats! You got off easy!...I coulda let it fly from the other end crapspackle.....

:laughing::lol::heartylaugh::haha:

It is nice to rediscover public grounds that still holds some nice treasure. Congrats Ben on the Barber Quarter, the Merc and some Wheat's. Trapper

That's some good shxxt there . lol Nice hunt Ben, congrats on the silver and wheats. That Barber quarter is sweet. I have been hunting old parks lately also, a ton of trash but the potential to give up something old is always there. Good luck on the SLQ. HH Mark

:laughing::laughing: In fact, my own words when I saw Lady Liberty coming out from under the dirt were “You’ve gotta be sh*tting me!!” before I realized the irony of what I was saying :lol::lol:

Thanks for the congrats, Mark. I’ve definitely got my interest renewed in old, local parks. They’ve still got goodies...just have to have the patience to wade through the trash.

Great hunting!

Thanks cellr!

Looks like you definitely had a great day. Two different quarters in one week. You're getting them checked off your list. Next a standing liberty with a date, that would be amazing.

Thanks, Dan...it was a pretty good day and week, considering where they were found and my initial expectations! That SLQ is calling my name...just have to get my coil over it :D

Nice saves! The Barber quarter eludes me, im jealous.

Thanks jl...a Barber Q was definitely one of the last things I was expecting on this hunt, so you just never know when one will pop up! I was very lucky...sometimes it’s better to be lucky than good :D

Excellent Barber and Merc Dime, along with the wheats!

Thanks LovestheShiny! I’m really pleased with the Barber’s condition...I don’t think it saw much circulation before it was dropped!

:lol::lol:In this case, I am pleased to confess myself a rank amateur!!:laughing:

I did, however, leave a deposit...any future hardcore guys, beware! :lol:

Back
Top Bottom