• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Nickel trifecta (V, Buff, War) while digging pulltabs to unmask coins

ToySoldier

Forum Supporter
Went back to a property that has given up a lot of coins, but also has a ton of mid tone signals. Thick areas of old beaver tail pull tabs and tab pieces and can slaw. I've done pretty well in the past picking out stable coin signals, but those signals are getting few and far between.

It stands to reason that more coins are hiding in and under that aluminum. The goal for this hunt was to see what I could shake out or unmask.

I used my Lesche hand digger instead of the shovel and turned down the sensitivity to stay on the shallower side and also to improve separation. I was listening for spots where I could hear at least two mid tones clumped within inches of each other. Plenty to choose from.

I ended up with a big handful of aluminum, but also one of my most productive hunts on that property in awhile. I knew I'd find nickels mixed in, but I was surprised at the number of pennies that had been masked.

15 wheat pennies (earliest was 1910) and a 1 oddball zinc. No memorials!
2 1943 Jefferson silver war nickels
1 1926 Buffalo nickel
1 1905 Liberty V nickel
9 Jefferson nickels mostly from the 50s-70s
3 dimes from the 60s.

Also, what I thought was going to be a crushed can turned out to be one of those 1920s-30s Merry Widows condom tins.

Happy hunting!

Attachments

• IMG_20191006_135950406 small.jpg
    IMG_20191006_135950406 small.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 314
  • IMG_20191006_135728077 small.jpg
    IMG_20191006_135728077 small.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 273
Last edited:
All you needed was a shield to have every 5 cent nickel ever made by the US. I’d count your clad Jeff so technically you have a Quadfecta!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All you needed was a shield to have every 5 cent nickel ever made by the US. I’d count your clad Jeff so technically you have a Quadfecta!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I admit that after I found the third nickel out of the three I hunted about 15 minutes longer than I had originally planned just to say I gave myself a .00000001% chance of getting a shield nickel. I don't know if the property has one, though. Not currently within the range of detection anyway. I've dug a lot of coins out of there and only one was from the 1800s. An 1880s Indian Head.

I agree on the superfecta or quadfecta or whatever you'd call 4, but didn't want to say it myself!

Thanks for the reply.

Nice! I love finding old nickels.

I call it a Grand Slam. :cool:

Yeah, I like nickels. For as many as I've been digging this year I've only had one gold ring. That's not the goal, but rather an observation. I have my sights set on a shield nickel, but I need to get on some older permissions this fall.

TS Congrats on your nickel trifecta, a slam would have been sweet. I had one trifecta this year with a shield (my first and only and barely legible ) a Buff and a V. I know how hard you look for that last one, you start digging every possible nickel signal. But the grand slam seems to be elusive. I have dug a ton of nickels since hunting with The EQ 800 but not one gold ring. At a local park the other day, in a small area, out of the 86 coins I dug,27 were nickels. All clad. 27 in one hunt is a record for me. Some won't but I don't mind chasing nickel signals . Good luck Mark

Nice job with the nickel trifecta and pulling out some nice old coins from that worked out location, TS! I've yet to get any kind of trifecta, but a nickel trifecta seems to be one of the more challenging. Merry Widows tin is awesome!! I just found my first one of those a couple weeks ago - a nice surprise over the expected canslaw! Enjoyed reading your tips on how you sniffed those finds out, too - I'll definitely be keeping those in mind as I revisit some local sites that I previously assumed would be unproductive!

Congratulations on cleaning out a spot to get other goodies!

Nice trifecta! Good luck on the return trip!

Thanks. Hopefully digging a little more trash works out in a few other areas on the property.

TS Congrats on your nickel trifecta, a slam would have been sweet. I had one trifecta this year with a shield (my first and only and barely legible ) a Buff and a V. I know how hard you look for that last one, you start digging every possible nickel signal. But the grand slam seems to be elusive. I have dug a ton of nickels since hunting with The EQ 800 but not one gold ring. At a local park the other day, in a small area, out of the 86 coins I dug,27 were nickels. All clad. 27 in one hunt is a record for me. Some won't but I don't mind chasing nickel signals . Good luck Mark

Thanks! I'd have to look at my records, but I think I have more nickels than quarters from this property. The one gold ring I dug this year rang up higher than a nickel due to its mass.

That's a hard trifecta to pull off, congrats!

Thanks! I've dug all of those coins before from this property but not on the same day! Create my own luck, I guess.

Nice job with the nickel trifecta and pulling out some nice old coins from that worked out location, TS! I've yet to get any kind of trifecta, but a nickel trifecta seems to be one of the more challenging. Merry Widows tin is awesome!! I just found my first one of those a couple weeks ago - a nice surprise over the expected canslaw! Enjoyed reading your tips on how you sniffed those finds out, too - I'll definitely be keeping those in mind as I revisit some local sites that I previously assumed would be unproductive!

Thanks. The tin was near a metal post and I heard the signal in previous hunts. I assumed it was either the post or a can. But, since my objective was to dig signals that might be masking good signals, I had to dig it. Funny. Dig different signals...find different stuff. Makes you go...hmmm...

Well done. Way to think out of the box and try something new. Love those nickels, still looking for my first shield and v. I have 5 buffs so far. Last night I was digging all nickel signals in an area I normally don't - I found 11 nickels (all Jeffs) and 2 bottle caps and 7 pull tabs. I also found my first gold ring while doing this. I think it is 10K. I have the post on the identify my find section to get confirmation. By the way I like reading your comments on other's posts and have gained quite a bit of knowledge from them- thank you.

Well done. Way to think out of the box and try something new. Love those nickels, still looking for my first shield and v. I have 5 buffs so far. Last night I was digging all nickel signals in an area I normally don't - I found 11 nickels (all Jeffs) and 2 bottle caps and 7 pull tabs. I also found my first gold ring while doing this. I think it is 10K. I have the post on the identify my find section to get confirmation. By the way I like reading your comments on other's posts and have gained quite a bit of knowledge from them- thank you.

I appreciate the nice comments. Thanks! It looks like you're having a pretty good year. That v will pop up when you're in some older dirt and keep digging the nickels. The nox 800 makes that a bit easier with the custom audio and big screen!

Good tactic =good finds ! Congrats !

Thanks. It's really only worth trying if the immediate area has proven to produce coins. It stands to reason that there are also coins in spots where all you can get is a cluster of mid-tone trash signals.

Back
Top Bottom