Imagine your next dig is as close as your basement

ToySoldier

Forum Supporter
This guy has an art studio in an early 1900s small warehouse and he went into his cellar to investigate a groundhog that had tunneled into the foundation. As he was digging around a section of the basement floor that was already broken he discovered a few bottles and pottery. That was back in the spring and several hundred bottles and relics later he is removing the concrete and brick floor of his cellar square by square and literally sifting through everything. There was a local magazine article about him, which led me to his public Facebook page. There's a link to the photos below. He still updates it every few days with new finds. If you keep scrolling down the photos go back several months.

He has since discovered that there was a bar on the corner that was owned by the same guy that owned the lot where his art studio now stands. The bar and neighborhood used that lot as a dump. During prohibition, the bar owner bricked over the lot and constructed a warehouse for a moving business. That warehouse is now the art studio.

My impression is that he didn't know much about bottles when he started and wasn't a relic hunter. He does seem to be meticulous and has sifted through soil to reassemble pottery. Based on the little I know about bottles it looks like he has some real treasures. I'm sure if he needs help he's had enough offers already.

https://www.facebook.com/patrick.donley.140/photos_all

Last edited:
Didn’t really mean what I said about FB, it’s just that some of us...aren’t on FB

Last edited:
Is there any way around that Facebook? We’d really like to see!

....maybe you can grab a few of the bottle pics and post them here....

I took a few screen shots of his photos to post below, including his photo credit. It looks like his bottles date back to the 1890s. There are many, many more on his page. I think I read that he's recovered over 500 so far. Again, that's here: https://www.facebook.com/patrick.donley.140/photos_all

Here's a short magazine article about the dig. Probably viewed best on a tablet or computer. https://editions.mydigitalpublication.com/publication/?i=615959&ver=html5&p=38

Attachments

• Capture1.jpg
    Capture1.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 416
  • Capture2.jpg
    Capture2.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 410
  • Capture3.jpg
    Capture3.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 413
  • Capture5.jpg
    Capture5.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 412
  • Capture6.jpg
    Capture6.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 400
  • Capture7.jpg
    Capture7.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 426
  • Capture8.jpg
    Capture8.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 419
  • Capture10.jpg
    Capture10.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 399
  • Capture11.jpg
    Capture11.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 398
  • Capture12.jpg
    Capture12.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 413
Yes Thanks! That is some haul. A few of those bottles may be as new as 1910-15 but many are 1890s. I wonder how much of that floor he'll bust open? Very tempting. And two pistols. Wow!

Back
Top Bottom