Folding It All Up For The Season.

SageGrouse

Elite Member
*Sigh* Just spent the afternoon folding all my gear up until next year.

It's both satisfying and unsatisfying at the same time.

Satisfying that I got all this neatsy keen new stuff, the new Bounty Hunter with the sniper coil, the new/ancient Radio Shack Micronta that doesn't work, but *might* if it's fixed, the brand new TRX Bullseye pinpointer...

Unsatisfying in that... I could've gotten in more hunting if I'd applied myself... But that's every season's regret.

I unfastened all the searchcoils, cleaned them, wrapped them in soft towels, etc and stored them neatly in the bottom of the plastic store-all trunk. Each coil is washed in soap and water, buffed and the cable straightened out and rolled neatly.

Next came the search-wands. Disconnected from the detectors, washed down, the pin inside treated for rust. The coil attachment screw brushed and re-inserted into the wand. Then neatly laid down, wrapped and stored.

Detector housings removed from their handles, batteries removed, housings wiped down and all contacts with paper taped over them to keep them clean. Wrapped and stored.

Finally the arm-pieces. Each cuff removed and re-screwed shut and stored. and on top of all, the arm pieces. Then the two pinpointers, batteries removed. contacts wiped down and similarly protected with paper and tape.

Last came my goodie bag. I have the two metal digging tools, the Hori Hori knife and the trowel out to be sharpened, the find-runes re-painted on everything. Collection pouches cleaned out, dirt shaken out of the bag and the contents re-inventoried.

So much hope packed into that plastic trunk! When I next open nad re-assemble my detectors, it is to be hoped it will be *after* the move!

We've been on the low-cost subsidized housing list now for a year and five months. We probably have another four months to go. As it is, we're drowning v-e-r-y s-l-o-w-l-y... I seriously hope we can remain 'alive' long enough to make it into subsidized housing and not end up on the streets.

Maybe with the move there will be new walkable places to detect. Maybe I'll find something valuable. Something I can sell. Or not. Each season is a new chance, a new hope. Next season will be a new place. If not, then the detectors will be nicely wrapped and ready to go to a new person who will have better luck.

Here's hoping your season was/is filled with great finds and joy! Life is good!

SageGrouse

Season? What the hell is a season? In Texas we have 2 seasons, HOT and not so hot. Here's to swinging year round, yeah baby!!!

Sorry to hear you're in troubled times, Sage "is a trooper and this will pass" Grouse! Keep your chin up, brother!

Wish you the best on your move! Hopefully there will be lots of areas to detect, maybe near a sports field or any place where the finds get replenished often.

Keep swinging Sage!! Hurry and unpack it all!!
Hope all goes well for you in the future Sage as I enjoy reading your posts! Like Joe Dirt says....Life's a Garden.....Dig it!

I always keep the batteries in a couple of my detectors year round. There are always those days that look like they could be good for detecting. Frozen ground and frozen fingers are an annual thing with me.

Best of luck. Keep in pushing on, its all any of us can do.
I wouldn't suggest the straightening the cables though..
Never want a internal break.. Just saying.. Or maybe its my years doing networks and computers but bend straight bend only works so many times.

Day by day and lessen the stress away. You'll make it

End of season

All most the end of season here as well , cold weather around the corner. I had Tripplle by-pass heart surgery a little over a month ago so have missed some of our best detecting time here in the last month. By the time the doctor gives me the all clear to detect and get back to work it may be to late to detect here for this year. I haven't taken my batteries out yet there will be plenty of time when the snows on the ground. With the heart working better i intend to hit the detecting extra hard next year with more energy.I will also retire some time later this year or early next year that will give me more time to detect. We are considering a trip back to the Philippines next summer , better to loose some detecting time now and be physically more fit next Spring and summer. Never give up there is always next spring waiting ,new places and events to hit. Work on your list of sites and check parks departments for list of activities and festivals comming up in your area.

Season? What the hell is a season? In Texas we have 2 seasons, HOT and not so hot. Here's to swinging year round, yeah baby!!!

Sorry to hear you're in troubled times, Sage "is a trooper and this will pass" Grouse! Keep your chin up, brother!

I live for fall and winter detecting. Summer is just to supplement n practice for fall woods hunts!

WOW! That post was two years ago, and I've only now gotten my detectors out of that bin! I re-assembled them, put everything out and re-inventoried. *sigh* since the move, there's no hope of finding the LOK BLOK screwdriver... but fortunately, I found one on EekBay and ordered it so I'll have a ground probe again.
AND a neighbor JUST gave me the COOLEST gift EV-VARRR! A four-wheeled WALKER with seat and basket!
Whadeheck do I want with a walker? Simple... a DETECTOR CADDY! It has HUGE tires and my detectors FIT in between the basket and the back of the seat, just as if they were designed for it! And the finds bag rests on the seat! The thing rolls like a dream and I can take it with me. NOW instead of having to decide "Do I take the sniper coil BH *or* the MineLab?" I can take both!

So yeah, two year hiatus, and now I can detect again. AND the place we're living in is fantastic! It's been here at least 10 years, and has gravel paths... and I'd bet people have lost a LOT of stuff on these paths AND the little grass patches. We'll just have to see!

Oh, the public housing fell through. we waited for a solid two years and finally realized we were still behind 30 to 60 people!! Housing for poor folks is just ridiculous in America! We went looking for "tax incentive low income housing" and we found the BEST PLACE! A sweet little casita in a gated community, senior complex OH it was/is GORGEOUS! AND the rent was less than we were paying at our place. SO we jumped! And are VERY happy indeed!
So yeah... all's well that ends well. Now to get back to the swinging lifestyle!
Sage(home Sweet Home!)Grouse

Good luck with the move and next season. If in doubt the public transit is almost guaranteed to cruise by a virgin spot. Check those maps
edit: oops, just saw your post above

Last edited:
Good the hear everything has worked out for you.

WOW! That post was two years ago, and I've only now gotten my detectors out of that bin! I re-assembled them, put everything out and re-inventoried. *sigh* since the move, there's no hope of finding the LOK BLOK screwdriver... but fortunately, I found one on EekBay and ordered it so I'll have a ground probe again.
AND a neighbor JUST gave me the COOLEST gift EV-VARRR! A four-wheeled WALKER with seat and basket!
Whadeheck do I want with a walker? Simple... a DETECTOR CADDY! It has HUGE tires and my detectors FIT in between the basket and the back of the seat, just as if they were designed for it! And the finds bag rests on the seat! The thing rolls like a dream and I can take it with me. NOW instead of having to decide "Do I take the sniper coil BH *or* the MineLab?" I can take both!

So yeah, two year hiatus, and now I can detect again. AND the place we're living in is fantastic! It's been here at least 10 years, and has gravel paths... and I'd bet people have lost a LOT of stuff on these paths AND the little grass patches. We'll just have to see!

Oh, the public housing fell through. we waited for a solid two years and finally realized we were still behind 30 to 60 people!! Housing for poor folks is just ridiculous in America! We went looking for "tax incentive low income housing" and we found the BEST PLACE! A sweet little casita in a gated community, senior complex OH it was/is GORGEOUS! AND the rent was less than we were paying at our place. SO we jumped! And are VERY happy indeed!
So yeah... all's well that ends well. Now to get back to the swinging lifestyle!
Sage(home Sweet Home!)Grouse

Back
Top Bottom