How old are you and when did you first get into metal detecting?

needler420

Elite Member
I am 29 and first started detecting the year I joined this forum 2011. How about everyone else?

And what do you do for work. I work construction. Framing, carpentry.

Welcome to the Forum! Youth is wasted on the young! Well, to answer your question, according to the Gregorian Calendar and my Mother, I was born at a very young age roughly 59yrs ago...at 5am, which is still the time I wake up every morning, cry, and wet the bed, then check the Forum......

After wasting a whole lot of my Life in various Human pursuits, getting nowhere and flat wornt out, at deaths door, I started detecting @ 9yrs ago...And you know what happened? Along the way I somehow contracted 'Benjamin Button' disease and my Life Clock started rolling backwards!

I wake up feeling as strong as a Spring kid! Firing on all eight! I have so much energy I could pour a concrete driveway or haul a bunk of sheetrock or shingles before Fox and Friends!

I dream about finding things and cant wait to get up and get the coil to the soil! Yeah! I'm self employed, my boss is pretty cool though, a raging alcoholic I suspect, but pretty damn lenient as long as I produce the G's...

My mother says I was born old...cool thing now is I have an ID so I can buy beer or guns! Wish I had that when I was young! Benjamin Button syndrome! My poor Wife?..shes like a year short of 70, and I'm steady on the prod and one randy rascal!! Sure, it helps with all the jewelry I've been bringing her, but I dont know how much longer she can last? She dont go much for clad, and theres only so much gold out there ya know...

I should probably go see a Doctor again someday, just for giggles, out of curiosity I should get my lungs Xrayed, although they probably look like my shop-vac, but I am missing a set of keys, so hey, one less thing to worry about if I know where they are..........I dont trust Doctors!...

Last time I was there he wanted to stick his finger up my coal chute for some strange reason? I can do that all by myself! Bill me for it? I even asked, 'How many guys my age let you do this to them?' He said, "Everybody! Its a medical procedure!" Yeah right!..Do I look like a girl gymnast? I didnt fall off the turnip truck yesterday ya frigging prevert!

Sure everybody needs a hobby, but hey, cant you golf like the others? Windsurf? Build a Battlebot or some damn thing? WTH? So I just quit the guy and never went back....I havnt seen a Doctor in 9yrs since I got this Metal Detector Benjamin Button machine... :laughing: Every once in a while I'll poke my finger up my back passage portal, and yep, its still there and seems to be functioning as the Good Lord intended...

My cholesterol is through the roof though, last time I had it checked 10yrs ago, the damn nurse had to use a Turkey injection needle to draw my blood, and then said it looked like 'cottage cheese'... or molten lava, but again, it was just a nurse, so who cares what they think!

Last edited:
I'm 65 and started detecting less than 2 years ago, retired but still very busy with chores, yard work, and household projects :lol:

55 and alive..
I started seriously detecting this past January.

As to work.. I am a Computer Programmer who has the luxury of working from Home with a boss who is 750 miles away!

I’m 45. Got my first detector at age 13 and found lots of nails, bottle caps and pulltabs.. Got a better detector the following year and found my first old coins and Civil War relics. 30 years later and I still love this hobby. I’ll keep on doing it until I’m not able!

As for my job, I’m plant MGR at Coosa Steel Corp in Rome Ga. I’ve been employed there for 26 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am 57, started detecting when I was about 17. I worked on our dairy farm for about 35 years then worked 4 years at a factory as a technician building and repairing led lights and now working at a factory that is a manufacturer of coating thickness gauges and inspection equipment.

I am 29 and first started detecting the year I joined this forum 2011. How about everyone else?

And what do you do for work. I work construction. Framing, carpentry.

i got a radio shack orange thing with a handle and telescoping stick I think it cost twenty bucks plus the taxes which was 4%. so go figure that one they still sell that style of detectors i dont know where but its a cheap detector but works.
https://www.amazon.com/Radio-Shack-Vintage-Detector-60-3003/dp/B077GN2WNJ:

laughing:

54, started in 1976. Been an on and off thing since. Been at it hard for last 6 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm 29 as well. Started in late 2014 but due to back injury, didn't really get serious about it until about September of 2016. I run a vac truck in the Oilfield for work although I'd like to at least get a class b and start transporting water

I started a year ago at age 39. My kids ask me to please not detect areas where their friends may recognize me as their father. (Except my son who actually comes out with me on occasion)

Last edited:
when i started detecting

I am 67 and started detecting in 2010 , just retired last November so plan on spending a lot more time detecting after the honey do list gets done.

55, started about 1972 at ten years old with a brand-new Jetco Mustang. One speaker, one volume control. Didn’t find much but I loved coins.

I bust people’s internet and climb telephone poles for a living.

Right now I'm 17 and I started a little over 11 or so years ago. By the time I was 7 I could swing a detector by myself (back then I used dad's coinmaster), but before that dad would help me. For my ninth birthday I got an xterra70 which I used until June last year, when I bought myself a CTX 3030.

As to work, metal detecting is my only income for now. I did work at Maccas for a year but I quit that so I could focus more on my studies. The plan for next year is to go to uni to study geology or environmental science. :)

I started a year ago at age 39. My kids ask me to please not detect areas where their friends may recognize me as their father. (Except my son who actually comes out with me on occasion)

I'de have taken that as a challenge, mission detecting in my short shorts with a sign on who my kids are is a go.

I'm 44 and started in 2011. It was the eureka moment when someone told me I could combine the outdoors and finding history for myself.

I was like "sign me up!"

I'm 72 and got my first detector after getting out of high school. It was a Jetco Treasure Hawk and I never found much with it. A few years later I found a Fisher 555 at a pawn shop. I took it down to the Fisher distributor in Tulsa and had it checked out and converted to a hip mount. That thing was heavy. I really liked it and wish I still had it. I have been detecting ever since and still enjoy hunting with vintage machines. Lately I haven't been able to hunt as much as I like because my car is down and I have to walk about a mile to the nearest park that I have been hunting for over thirty years. Good finds are getting harder to find.

Right now I'm 17 and I started a little over 11 or so years ago. By the time I was 7 I could swing a detector by myself (back then I used dad's coinmaster), but before that dad would help me. For my ninth birthday I got an xterra70 which I used until June last year, when I bought myself a CTX 3030.

As to work, metal detecting is my only income for now. I did work at Maccas for a year but I quit that so I could focus more on my studies. The plan for next year is to go to uni to study geology or environmental science. :)

I would have never guessed you were that young! The maturity of your posts and metal detecting skills are wayyyyy past your age in years. Awesome.

Back
Top Bottom