test garden

coldmidget

i made a test garden. put nickel, dime, penny, quarter, lead weight, silver charm, gold ring, ss ring and a pull tab. i could hear a slight diff in the gold ring( i think). but all else sounds the same. i just put on ground didnt bury it. is it just my ears that cant tell diff? i had on factury settings. does setting affect sound? im a little confused. trying to learn sounds of my whites df pi. i know time and practice is what it takes but all sound the same? any advice would help.

Objects of the same size generally sound the same. So all those targets will sound the same with a PI for the most part. With practice you can tell the size and shape of an object, and will know when you have a small coin/ring sized object, but can't really tell targets apart by their conductivity.

Maybe the pros with the PI can hear more in a beep than me though.

Im not a PI guy, but .... if it were me id learn the few trash targets that give me the worst problems first like bottle caps and bobbie pins. I know how deep i have to dig a bottle cap even with the Xcal. A test garden is good if its cleaned of all metal and can help with verifying your machine, but is most effective for mineralized testing with tone/disc machines. In your case air testing would do just as well.

Dew

i made a test garden. put nickel, dime, penny, quarter, lead weight, silver charm, gold ring, ss ring and a pull tab. i could hear a slight diff in the gold ring( i think). but all else sounds the same. i just put on ground didnt bury it. is it just my ears that cant tell diff? i had on factury settings. does setting affect sound? im a little confused. trying to learn sounds of my whites df pi. i know time and practice is what it takes but all sound the same? any advice would help.

The DF has 1 tone only but there is subtle differences to the tone.. gold will be a smoother clean tone... paying attention to the size is more important dig small narrow targets... junk targets like bobbiepins and wire can have a broken scratchy tone, iron with be a wide long tone... picture in your mind the width of the tone and if its wide its most likely trash. bottlecaps can be a rough areound the edges tone... learning the machine does not come overnight ;)

thx for the advice. been wondering about some of those long tones. had 1 last week was like a buried treasure chest 1 ft wide 1 ft long. i didnt even bother with it. just didnt seem right. i probly missed that pirate treasure chest lol.

Back
Top Bottom