Permission question???????????

Status
Not open for further replies.

coin chaser

Forum Supporter
Why in the world do people post them............
You get 1/3 saying yes, 1/3 saying no, and the other third say it depends!
On top of all that you have to read posts of people bickering back and forth about personal ethics. I think there should be another line added to the code of ethics that states one should never start a thread about permission!:laughing:

Just a funny question that came to mind and all in good fun. GL&HH

I cant even think of a sane reason anbody would talk about the same thing over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over.. You see where im going with this???? Its pure INSANITY. If you're new okay, you get a pass..But its calmed down around here on that subject lately

Why in the world do people post them............
You get 1/3 saying yes, 1/3 saying no, and the other third say it depends!
On top of all that you have to read posts of people bickering back and forth about personal ethics. I think there should be another line added to the code of ethics that states one should never start a thread about permission!:laughing:

Just a funny question that came to mind and all in good fun. GL&HH

Well if you check out some of the recent ones I don't think you can come to that conclusion. Permission can be a simple thing or a complicated thing or somewhere in between. When the Op sticks with their thread they usually turn out very nice. When they throw a question out there and vanish part of the blame has to go to them. Permission is a very important part of the hobby.

... Permission is a very important part of the hobby.

Now .... as to how to keep the threads from going into endless debates, that part's easy: Just agree with everything I say, and presto: Problem solved ! :laughing: Ok, seriously now:

If it wasn't an issue in this day & age of "scary posts", then people wouldn't be asking about it, to begin with. You know, like how when people get on forums and read about some place else that has "permits". Or some person gleefully telling about how .... after they "got permission", they then went to the park or beach or whatever. Or how you'd read about someone who "got booted" (or worse), etc...

So when people are reading things like that , HOW CAN YOU BLAME THEM for not coming on, and asking about their particular town, or state, or park, or whatever ? So as Kemper says, it is a part of the hobby (unfortuately).

Like any topic with passion: when you come back to a thread, and see where someone questions or challenges an assertion you've made, it's only natural to want to rise-to-the challenge and answer it. Or show what you think to be a chink in what they've retorted, etc... Then yes, the nuclear arms race begins, unfortunately :no:

Now .... as to how to keep the threads from going into endless debates, that part's easy: Just agree with everything I say, and presto: Problem solved ! :laughing: Ok, seriously now:

If it wasn't an issue in this day & age of "scary posts", then people wouldn't be asking about it, to begin with. You know, like how when people get on forums and read about some place else that has "permits". Or some person gleefully telling about how .... after they "got permission", they then went to the park or beach or whatever. Or how you'd read about someone who "got booted" (or worse), etc...

So when people are reading things like that , HOW CAN YOU BLAME THEM for not coming on, and asking about their particular town, or state, or park, or whatever ? So as Kemper says, it is a part of the hobby (unfortuately).

Like any topic with passion: when you come back to a thread, and see where someone questions or challenges an assertion you've made, it's only natural to want to rise-to-the challenge and answer it. Or show what you think to be a chink in what they've retorted, etc... Then yes, the nuclear arms race begins, unfortunately :no:

While we don't always agree on every issue we do agree on many. I honestly have to say that I have learned things from you that fit into my experiences. I think the tide is turning somewhat to the "don't ask" attitude when there is no clear restriction on metal detecting. It has been proven in my city and surrounding cities that "no digging,defacing etc." does not mean no metal detecting.

The state of Michigan does not even consider metal detecting to be harmful. When you tell someone that 2+2=4 and they try to find a way to disprove that it can be a long debate. I just hope we can get the detectorist out on the site while we discuss it.:lol:

Lot's of questions like that usually are answered by ones own common sense, but this is a forum, and people just post whatever is on the tip of their tongues.

Lot's, or most the the answers are anticipated by the usual suspects.

I think it's a fun time.

(everything i just typed we already knew)

Lot's of questions like that usually are answered by ones own common sense, but this is a forum, and people just post whatever is on the tip of their tongues.

Lot's, or most the the answers are anticipated by the usual suspects.

I think it's a fun time.

(everything i just typed we already knew)

What I always find interesting is when someone asks something like " Is it okay to detect in the park?" While that may on the surface sound like an easy answer ("ask-don't ask") we don't really know what they are asking. Are they are asking our opinion on whether or not they should detect near a pavilion full of people? Are they asking if they should go in there loaded for bear? Are they asking if they should go in a group of three?

While a lot of the answers may seem obvious to a lot of us we have to keep in mind that someone else may have experience in other areas. There are some that feel that if they bought a detector and they can legally detect in the park it is okay to do it how and when they want. But those are the people that shouldn't be asking us about permission.

I also agree with you about the fun part especially when it goes to silly. That's where my expertise lies. Where to draw the line I haven't a clue and ain't gonna ask. :grin:

Why does this thread remind me of the Groundhog Day movie?

Why is it going to have a different ending?

Why does this thread remind me of the Groundhog Day movie?

Why is it going to have a different ending?

"In 2006, the film was added to the United States National Film Registry as being deemed "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant"

I know this doesn't answer your questions but I'll think about them cause they sound important. Might not have an ending. If I make too much noise during the movie I understand "Shut up Kemper" . :lol:

A permission question is a very important and valid one. But a subject like this that has so many variables should get a textbook kind of answer , you know the kind that covers as many bases as possible and is as "safe" for the newbie as possible. That answer may not be what we all personally always do or believe is best "for us". And it should steer a person in the right direction until they have a better knowledge of the subject. Kinda like the drivers education suggestion of putting your hands at 10 and 2 on the steering wheel or checking all of your mirrors before starting to drive. The "experienced" driver rarely does this stuff and most of the time everything turns out fine , but when someone is learning to drive this builds a foundation of safety mindedness. It shouldnt be all that different when someone is learning the ropes of metal detecting and research. Give someone the basics , but a textbook version with a built in safety net...let them build their own strategies and style through experience.

I think when we look back on the permission threads(at least as far as I can remember) we can be proud of them. Sure there were some rough times but let's not only dwell on the bottle caps and ignore the silver. They cover an issue that involves people, situations,circumstances, locations and many other factors.

When the OP stays involved they usually turn out nice. Metal detecting is a fun hobby. Permission is part of that fun. When people bring fun to the permission threads as well as opinions they are better. When people come in and take a swipe at the thread and leave they are not adding anything. Forum members will not let them get by with that on the other forums but will let them disrespect this one.

But I am optimistic as I've seen the benefits far outweigh the negativity on these threads.

I think when we look back on the permission threads(at least as far as I can remember) we can be proud of them. Sure there were some rough times but let's not only dwell on the bottle caps and ignore the silver. They cover an issue that involves people, situations,circumstances, locations and many other factors.

When the OP stays involved they usually turn out nice. Metal detecting is a fun hobby. Permission is part of that fun. When people bring fun to the permission threads as well as opinions they are better. When people come in and take a swipe at the thread and leave they are not adding anything. Forum members will not let them get by with that on the other forums but will let them disrespect this one.

But I am optimistic as I've seen the benefits far outweigh the negativity on these threads.

:laughing: I am not so sure any of us should be proud of those threads. They dont cover the issue as much as they confused it

:laughing: I am not so sure any of us should be proud of those threads. They dont cover the issue as much as they confused it

You may have a good point there if you look at some in their entirety. If you look at the ones or the part of the ones that the Op stayed involved with you may have a different view. When the OP bails and don't take care of their thread the party does get a little wilder. But who don't like wild parties! Sometimes you have to take a little break so you're ready for the next one if somebody is going to set one up. :laughing:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom